Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IOC investigating gymnast's age

Gold Member

Nastia Liukin is on the local news here (she's a local girl) and the Chinese gymnast age controversy is BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG news. Nastia was gracious but her dad seemed a little pissed.

They gave Nastia's plane a shower at DFW; they reserve that for huuuuuge celebrations. There was a giant crowd at the airport, mostly little girls. Awwwwwwwwwww. Carly Patterson (the '04 all-around gold medalist) showed up to give her a hug too.

Lemme tell you, Nastia couldn't get arrested for SHIT tonight in Dallas. This city is so proud of her we could just scream.

KD
    Elite Member

I loved Carly Patterson!

You should all be proud of Nastia, she is awesome!

What exactly is giving the plane a shower?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by KD View Post
    I loved Carly Patterson!

You should all be proud of Nastia, she is awesome!

What exactly is giving the plane a shower?
    It's where they spray an arriving plane with jets of water. They usually do it for big sports heroes or retiring pilots.

This city often doesn't have a whole lot to be proud of...nobody pays attention to what goes on here. The city itself has giant problems with crime and the school system among other things.

Nastia is awesome though and she'll be beloved in this city forever. They'll put signs up for her in Parker just like they did in Allen for Carly Patterson. All over Allen (suburb north of Plano) there are signs proclaiming the city to be the home of Carly Patterson, OLYMPIC CHAMPION. They adore her there.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

I honestly don't think anything can come of this. It's like how we knew all the sprinters were on drugs but they were passing drug tests so no one could prove anything (until later, Marion Jones anyone?).

Above all i feel sorry for the Chinese gymnasts. They had NO say in all of this, but they are still humans who have just reached the pinnacle of their sport. To have that taken away would be so sad, cheating aside. It's not their fault and they had no choice.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

KD
    Elite Member

I agree that these children are vicitms. It will be very sad, sincerely, to have their medals taken away, but I still think it should happen.

And I do believe the truth about age can somehow be discovered.

On a side note:
    I like that some of the athletes like Dara Torres and Phelps gave samples of their blood, so that if they come up with new ways to detect doping, they can retest their sample.

SVZ

Yea the kids didn't cheat, it was their coaches

KD
    Elite Member

msnbc.com

BEIJING - Despite persistent questions about the ages of several members of the Chinese women’s gymnastics team that won the gold medal, the International Olympic Committee said Friday there is still no proof anyone cheated and believes the controversy will be “put to rest.”

The IOC asked the International Gymnastics Federation to investigate “what have been a number of questions and apparent discrepancies,” spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. But all of the information the Chinese gymnastics federation has presented so far supports its insistence that its athletes were old enough to compete.

“We believe the matter will be put to rest and there’s no question ... on the eligibility,” Davies said. “The information we have received seems satisfactory in terms of the correct documentation — including birth certificates.”

If the federation had found evidence that the gymnasts were underage, it could have affected four of China’s medals. In addition to the team gold and He Kexin’s gold on bars, Yang Yilin won bronze medals in the all-around and uneven bars.

Chinese coach Lu Shanzhen told The Associated Press they gave the FIG new documents on Thursday to try to remove any doubts about He’s age, including an old passport, residency card and her current ID card.

Lu said all the documents were issued by various departments of the Chinese government, and that he had nothing more to put forth as evidence.

“If these valid documents are not enough to clarify this problem, then what will you believe?” an indignant Lu said.

The FIG has said repeatedly that a passport is the “accepted proof of a gymnast’s eligibility,” and that China’s gymnasts have presented ones that show they are age eligible. The IOC also checked the girls’ passports and deemed them valid before the games began.

Andre Gueisbuhler, secretary general of the FIG, said the federation would release a statement later Friday.

“For the time being, there is nothing I can add,” Gueisbuhler said.

A gymnast must be 16 in an Olympic year to compete at the games. But questions about the ages of at least three of the athletes have persisted. Online records and media reports suggest three Chinese gymnasts — He, Yang and Jiang Yuyuan — might be as young as 14.

The IOC said previously that it had verified the passports of all athletes competing at the games.

“We are not in a position to say ’It’s good, it’s not good.’ It’s a government document,” FIG president Bruno Grandi said earlier this week in an interview with the AP.

The IOC did not give details on what new information prompted it to act now, three days after the gymnastics competition ended.

“With some questions still remaining, we asked the federation to take a closer look,” Davies said.

According to the Times of London, a U.S. computer security expert named Mike Walker claimed on Thursday he tracked down two documents on a Chinese government Web site that stated He Kexin’s birth date as Jan. 1, 1994, not the Jan. 1, 1992 that is printed on her passport. The documents were later reportedly removed from the site.

The Chinese women won six medals, including the team gold and He’s gold on uneven bars. Media reports include a Nov. 3 story by the Chinese government’s news agency, Xinhua, that suggest He is only 14. Asked earlier this week about her age again after winning the uneven bars title, beating American Nastia Liukin in a tiebreak, she said:

“I was born in 1992, and I’m 16 years old now,” He said. “The FIG has proved that. If I’m under 16, I couldn’t have been competing here.”

Earlier this month, the AP found registration lists previously posted on the Web site of the General Administration of Sport of China that showed both He and Yang were too young to compete. He was born Jan. 1, 1994, according to the 2005, 2006 and 2007 registration lists. Yang was born Aug. 26, 1993, according to the 2004, 2005 and 2006 registration lists. In the 2007 registration list, however, her birthday has changed to Aug. 26, 1992.

“We played fair at this Olympic Games,” Liukin’s father and coach, Valeri, said after they arrived back in the United States. “... If somebody cheated, shame on them.”

Added Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics: “USA Gymnastics has always believed this issue needed to be addressed by the FIG and IOC. An investigation would help bring closure to the issue and remove any cloud of speculation from this competition.”

Age falsification has been a problem in gymnastics since the 1980s after the minimum age was raised from 14 to 15 to protect young athletes from serious injuries. The minimum age was raised to its current 16 in 1997. Younger gymnasts are considered to have an advantage because they are more flexible, and are likely to have an easier time doing the tough skills the sport requires. They also aren’t as likely to have a history of injuries or fear of failure.

North Korea was barred from the 1993 world championships after FIG officials discovered Kim Gwang Suk, the gold medalist on uneven bars in 1991, was listed as 15 for three years in a row. Romania admitted in 2002 that several gymnasts’ ages had been falsified, including Olympic medalists Gina Gogean and Alexandra Marinescu.

Even China’s own Yang Yun, a double bronze medalist in Sydney, said during an interview aired on state broadcaster China Central Television that she was 14 in 2000.

“It’s not just me. The parents of our athletes are all very indignant,” Lu said. “They have faced groundless suspicion. Why aren’t they believed? Why are their children suspected? Their parents are very angry.”

Elite Member

Doesn't the IOC find it a leetle suspicious that all of the documentation of these girls before the Olympics has been removed/deleted??? Google these chicks' names and see how many "file removed/error" links you come up with.
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

A*O

There is absolutely NO WAY China is going to admit these girls are underage and since the Govt controls everyone's personal records they will make the necessary amendments. Despite the Olympic PR puffery, China is a brutally supressive hardcore Communist regime where any dissent is crushed without mercy, human rights are non existant and the population is kept under strict control.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Whatever happened to the "goodwill" of the games? The Chinese have corrupted it.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    Whatever happened to the "goodwill" of the games? The Chinese have corrupted it.
    I agree. I was never happy about the 2008 Olympics being in Beijing and I thought I might boycott it but then I remembered that the reason I enjoy it is for the athleticism and the drama. So, I watch to cheer on the athletes and my country but I think the Chinese government is an evil regime that abuses human rights and cannot (and should not) be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Oh, I agree. This girl is actually taller than I am, she's probably 5'7" or even 5'8", but by and large most Chinese women that I've met have been smaller than I am and I'm 5'6". My gym is full of Chinese women of all ages and they're tiny. Tiny! But not as tiny as those gymnasts. The Chinese women bring their little Chinese children with them and some of the young ones resemble the gymnasts in height and weight.

Just look at the 15 year-old diver who won the gold. She's TINY and she looks like a giant compared to the gymnasts. Divers are bigger than gymnasts, but they're not usually huge.
    I have an Asian hair dresser and I stood up one day and she exclaims, “I didn’t realize you were so tall!” I’m only 5’5”.

Those girls are not of age, any one with eyes can see it.

><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Just look at the 15 year-old diver who won the gold. She's TINY and she looks like a giant compared to the gymnasts. Divers are bigger than gymnasts, but they're not usually huge.
    Right. But she can tell she's going through puberty. She's got some hips/buds, etc.... Those gymnasts have NONE of that going on.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Well Shawn Johnson doesn't have any of that going on either
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Hit By Ban Bus!

Even China’s own Yang Yun, a double bronze medalist in Sydney, said during an interview aired on state broadcaster China Central Television that she was 14 in 2000.

um OK they cheated then and why should anyone believe them now?

“It’s not just me. The parents of our athletes are all very indignant,” Lu said. “They have faced groundless suspicion. Why aren’t they believed? Why are their children suspected? Their parents are very angry.”

give me a break, most of the parents didn't even show up for the competition, the kids were taken away at age 3 and raised by the government - they don't know their parents. While the Americans waved to their family and friends the Chinese gymnasts just stood there with sad looks on their faces all they had were their coaches. So don't give me that crap about the parents being upset - if they are upset it's because the government told them to act upset.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information