Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay," says Jason Collins.

Did anyone see this article yet? Pretty cool:

Collins' act wows victim's parents

Matthew Shepard's parents were touched by Jason Collins' decision to wear number 98 - NBA News | FOX Sports on MSN
    In his historic coming-out essay Monday, NBA veteran Jason Collins revealed to Sports Illustrated that he wore the number 98 in 38 games this season while playing for the Boston Celtics andWashington Wizards as an unspoken “sign of solidarity” with the gay community.

He said he did so as a nod to the Trevor Project, an LGBTQ suicide prevention foundation founded in August 1998, and also in memory of Matthew Shepard, a 21-year-old University of Wyoming student who was killed in October 1998 in one of the most infamous antigay hate crimes in history.
    Shepard’s parents, Dennis and Judy, had never spoken to or met Collins before receiving an email from David Smith of the Human Rights Campaign with a link to the SI piece Monday morning, but it doesn’t make Collins’ expression of unity any less meaningful.
    “It made me cry,” Judy Shepard told FOXSports.com during an interview Monday afternoon. “It was really quite a tribute, and I was very honored. And I know Matt would be thrilled.”
    And the Shepards hope, someday, to be able to thank Collins personally for his bravery in opening himself up to the world and honoring their son’s name in the process.
    “I would really love to speak to him, because I know Judy and I would just like to thank him,” Dennis Shepard said. “Because, No. 1, he had the courage to come out, period, and No. 2 that he wore 98 in honor of Matt, the year that he died.

fgg

i thought i heard a snippet of an interview with phil jackson on the radio where he said that there were no gay players during his day (ostrich, much?) or am i dreaming this?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hit By Ban Bus!

That picture was a dead give-away - just as 'the look' of gayness about him... besides that - WHO CARES??? Why do gay people feel the need to announce to the world what their sexual preference is anyway? It's really nobody's business what someone else does behind closed doors.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh fuck off.
    chartreuse, BITTER and Seth82 like this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I reported this idiot from another post.
    BITTER likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by azsk8fan View Post
    That picture was a dead give-away - just as 'the look' of gayness about him... besides that - WHO CARES??? Why do gay people feel the need to announce to the world what their sexual preference is anyway? It's really nobody's business what someone else does behind closed doors.
    Gays announcing they are gay is no different from you announcing that you are a closed minded homophobe. Why did you feel the need?
    BITTER likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

amazing that people can tell who is gay just by looking. i thought that only worked for jews.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Oh damn, the bus ran it over.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I once saw a photo of azsk8fan on another site, and I could totally tell he was into giving blumpkins. The giveaway was the face, and the permanently stooped-over posture.
    BITTER likes this.

Default Jason Collins signs with Nets, becomes NBA’s first openly gay athlete

Jason Collins signs with Nets, becomes NBA’s first openly gayÂ*athlete | The Point Forward - SI.com

Jason Collins signs with Nets, becomes NBA’s first openly gay athlete

The Nets announced the signing of Jason Collins to a 10-day contract on Sunday, making him the first openly gay athlete in NBA history.

“The decision to sign Jason was a basketball decision,” Nets GM Billy King said in a statement.

“We needed to increase our depth inside, and with his experience and size, we felt he was the right choice for a 10-day contract.”

Collins will be available when the Nets face the Lakers in Los Angeles on Sunday.

“Jason told us that his goal was to earn another contract with an NBA team,”

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement. “Today, I want to commend him on achieving his goal. I know everyone in the NBA family is excited for him and proud that our league fosters an inclusive and respectful environment.”

The signing, which was first reported by ESPN.com, drew praise from Athlete Ally, a non-profit organization that fights against homophobia in sports.

“We are entering a new era of inclusion with Jason Collins, the Brooklyn Nets and the NBA at the forefront,” Hudson Taylor, Athlete Ally’s executive director, said in a statement. “Jason may be the first, but he’s not the last. It’s because of him and the unprecedented leadership of professional leagues like the NBA that we’ll see more and more LGBT athletes at all levels of competition.”

The Nets had been mulling the decision of whether to sign Collins for days, but were waiting to see whether Glen Davis, who was recently bought out by the Magic, would potentially sign with them after clearing waivers. But according to Shelburne, Davis has given the Los Angeles Clippers “a sense that he’s decided to join them.”

As The Point Forward noted earlier, it’s been almost nine months since Collins made his announcement to Sports Illustrated that he was gay, yet the 35-year-old has remained unsigned despite being in shape and a 13-year NBA veteran.

But the Nets seem like a logical landing spot for Collins. With Brook Lopez out for the season and the team failing to make a move for a center at Thursday’s trade deadline, the team is in need of size. At 25-28, the team is clinging to the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, but needs to move up in the standings in order to avoid a first-round showdown with Indiana or Miami.

Brooklyn has had significant success of late playing small ball — moving Kevin Garnett to center and Paul Pierce to power forward — winning 15 of its last 22 games after a disastrous start to the season. But with the playoffs on the horizon, the team’s front office likely realizes it will need some size to compete against the East’s powers. Outside of Garnett, the only other big men on the roster are Mason Plumlee and Andray Blatche.

While both Plumlee and Blatche have been solid offensive contributors off the bench, neither has the experience or defensive prowess possessed by Collins, a 7-foot 255-pound pivot who has defended some of the best centers in the league over the past decade. He provides little on offense (career 3.3 ppg scoring average), but his skills as a defender, screener and playoff veteran make him an attractive option to size-needy contenders.

Collins also has familiarity with two of the Nets’ biggest stars, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, whom he played with on the Celtics during the 2012-13 season. He’s also a former teammate of head coach Jason Kidd, dating back to their time with the New Jersey Nets in the early 2000′s.
    McJag and lizzybabe like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Default Jason Collins, who wears number '98' for Matthew Shepard, meets Matthew's parents

what a class act he is!

PHOTO: Jason Collins, who wears number '98' for Matthew Shepard, meets Matthew's parents | GLAAD

Jason Collins, who wears number '98' for Matthew Shepard, meets Matthew's parents

Openly gay Brooklyn Nets player Jason Collins met Matthew Shepard's family after Brookyln's game in Denver on Thursday. Collins wears a number '98' jersey in a tribute to Matthew, who was killed in 1998. Before meeting Matthew's family, Collins said, “I was in college at the time when [Matthew] was killed. Of course it’s a tragedy what happened and I just hope it inspires others to come forward. It’s definitely going to be special meeting them after the game (Thursday) and I’m looking forward to it."

Collins then tweeted:

Watch an Associated Press video about the meeting below:

McJag and Shinola like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Such a nice very tall drink of water...and damn am I thirsty as fuck.
    Brookie and Seth82 like this.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information