Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay," says Jason Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    But by dinner that night, he was full of brotherly love. For the first time in our lives, he wanted to step in and protect me.

^^^
    As a parent of two boys, this is the part that got to me. Don't every parent wish to see their kids show such love? I adore this and I am so glad for Mr. Collins. I wish him well and continued success. *thumbs up*
    that's what got me too, well that and allergies damnit
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Kudos to him for taking such a huge step. It sucks that some will still give him grief over it. I'm still waiting for the day when the gays are treated as equals. i hope to see it before I'm a pile of ashes in a jar.
    Seth82 and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Elite Member

I'm glad he did this, but a nfl player came out and then denied it after the pressure was on.

I hope people realize he was playing for years, he didn't grab anyones junk or stare in the locker room, etc he was a teammate and a good guy.

Obama calls Collins, offers support on coming out

Obama calls Collins, offers support on coming out

WASHINGTON (AP) — A groundbreaking pronouncement fromNBA veteran Jason Collins — "I'm gay" — reverberated Monday through Washington, generating accolades from lawmakers on Twitter and a supportive phone call from President Barack Obama.

Hours after Collins disclosed his sexuality in an online article, Obama reached out by phone, expressing his support and telling Collins he was impressed by his courage, the White House said.

Collins, 34, becomes the first active player in one of four major U.S. professional sports leagues to come out as gay. He has played for six teams in 12 seasons, including this past season with theWashington Wizards, and is now a free agent.

Collins' declaration in a first-person account posted on Sports Illustrated's website garnered particular attention from Democrats, many of whom have recently announced their support for gay marriage despite opposing it in the past. Obama announced his support last year during his re-election campaign.

Organizing for Action, a grassroots group run by Obama loyalists that grew out of his 2012 re-election campaign, offered its support for Collins as well, writing to Collins on Twitter on Monday that the group's supporters "stand with you today."

And first lady Michelle Obama chimed in on Twitter on Monday afternoon to applaud Collins.

"So proud of you, Jason Collins! This is a huge step forward for our country. We've got your back!" the tweet read. It was signed "mo" — signifying that the first lady personally wrote the message.

Former President Bill Clinton also voiced encouragement, releasing a statement that asks fans, NBA colleagues and the media to support and respect him. Clinton said he has known Collins since he attended Stanford University with his daughter Chelsea.

Clinton said Collins' announcement Monday is an "important moment" for professional sports and the history of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

Collins is "a good man who wants no more than what so many of us seek — to be able to be who we are, to do our work, to build families and to contribute to our communities," Clinton said. "For so many members of the LGBT community, these simple goals remain elusive."

Chelsea Clinton
    also tweeted her support for Collins Monday, saying she was proud of her friend for having the strength and courage to be the first openly gay player in the NBA..

Earlier Monday, White House spokesman Jay Carney said Collins' decision was another example of progress and evolution in the U.S. as Americans grow more accepting of gay rights and same-sex marriage. He said he hoped the 34-year-old center's NBA colleagues will also offer support.

"We view that as another example of the progress that has been made and the evolution that has been taking place in this country," Carney said.

Chad Griffin, the president of Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights group, said Collins has "forever changed the face of sports."

"No longer will prejudice and fear force gay athletes to remain silent about a fundamental part of their lives," Griffin said.

The NBA player also received support from Rep. Joe Kennedy III, D-Mass., his college roommate. Kennedy tweeted Monday that "I've always been proud to call (Collins) a friend, and I'm even prouder to stand with him today."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

A friend of mine who is gay posted the following on FB. "Good for Jason Collins, but I'll be more impressed when a WNBA player comes out as straight".
    I'm going to Hell b/c I find it funny.

I agree with everyone else.. It will be nice when the day comes that this isn't actual "news". He did a brave thing..good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I read on twitter that the comments in the article at si are really bad. That really pisses me off, this was a wonderful story and people still have to be evil bitter assholes. Good for him for having the guts to do this.
    Again, Yahoo was (unsurprisingly) the cesspit of depravity regarding the comments on this. How some of those degenerates think they're so superior is beyond me.

Big congratulations to Jason.

Hopefully this will also help eradicate stereotypes of gay men not being strong and athletic. There was a rugby league player in Oz called Ian Roberts who came out back in the 90s (or noughties, can't quite remember) but he was the toughest, hardest bruiser of a player who was feared by other teams. It was a huge eye opener for a lot of people who would normally associate gay men with being effeminate hairdressers or fashion designers.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

The hateful comments by neanderthal sport heads are entirely predictable and a perfect illustration why so many gay athletes feel safer remaining in the closet. Why do straight guys feel so threatened and intimidated by gay guys? Perhaps Dr Freud would know.
    Fly_On_TheWall likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yeah, they know too.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I wanted that story to be longer. Bless his heart. I hope he's met with tremendous support.
    Seth82 likes this.

i love that he came out, but i hate that society STILL has to make this breaking news.
    Seth82, Brookie and whitetigeress like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Like others said, it sucks that it's actually news that a professional sports player is gay, and it's sad that people still care about sexual orientation so much. And it's pretty infuriating that there's people saying crap about him coming out, but who cares about a bunch of fucktards on comment sections of websites. It's amazing that so many high profile people are showing support. Hopefully soon we can get to where it not only doesn't matter to anyone that you're gay, but it's great that more and more people are voicing their support in the meantime.

I heard about this and was happy but after reading his story, I'm crying. Like someone else said, it's written beautifully. What good man and a wonderful family he has.
    Brookie likes this.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

So happy the President and First Lady are supporting him and gay marriage in general. However, did it really warrant a phone call from the President? I'm sure I'll be blasted for this, but I think that's a bit much. Yes it was brave.. but did Obama call any of the first responders who helped save lives after the Boston Marathon Bombings? IF he did.. my apologies. I know he and MO visited the victims.

Again, good for Jason Collins. I hope other athletes can take this as a step towards coming out and living life as who they really are. I will be overjoyed the day that coming out of the closet isn't deemed being "brave" or "newsworthy" because it will be widely accepted.

Well gay marriage and gay rights are a huge part of his second term platform. I don't know if he called first responders or victims, but it would be in keeping what we know of him to think that he would.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information