Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 775
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Huge sexual abuse scandal (against little boys) coming out of Penn State

  1. #106
    Elite Member JadeStar70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    BFE, Iowa
    Posts
    7,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    If you are a Paterno fan, the best he can do for you is to keep his mouth shut and ride off into the sunset. He's already proven he has no grasp on this matter. He repeatedly throws in a "pray for the kids" AFTER he's made an interview all about him. He smiles inappopriately, leads fans in cheers, and then calls these boys "victims or whatever." I don't care what kind of God-like status he enjoys in that state, he enabled his best friend and long time assistant coach. He treated these boys like little job perks and did NOTHING to ensure children's safety or well being.


    I agree!!

  2. #107
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    Hey I am not defending Paternoa AT ALL. I believe he is responsible and he could have and damn well should have done more and could have prevented other kids from being raped. He failed.

    McQueary makes me really sick and the school needs to take action against him too. If you google McQueary must go - there are lots of people calling for him to resign or be fired.

    My niece also said that some kids gathered and turned over a news van because they were protesting Paterno being fired but she felt it was more a group of drunks trying to get attention. Then there was another groups who held a candlelight vigil to show support for the victims and a guy was holding a sign saying "WE ARE the 99% - of those who are not PSU Football"
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  3. #108
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Asston shows his intellect once again.


    The 1st case in 98-99 was refererred to the police who chose to not prosecute. The report came from the child's mother to the police. Paterno was not involved at all and Sandusky left the employ of PSU.

    In 2002 a GA advised Paterno that something happened. Paterno reports it to the AD. He met his legal requirements and we must remember that Sandusky was NOT an employee of PSU at that time.


    Paterno had no legal responsibility to do anything else because again, Sandusky WAS NOT his employee or even connected to the team anymore.


    So, from a legal perspective, Paterno did nothing wrong. From a moral perspective, he failed all the way around. He continued to be listed as a board member for Sandusky's group knowing he had been accused of misconduct with kids. He did nothing to have Sandusky removed from the facilities when he saw him there.
    Yes, it is a strange case. Many people knew that something wrong was occurring, and a few of them did something. But nobody took it all the way. Most of them seemed to think that once they told somebody else, their responsibility had ended. I guess it's a common 'bystander' attitude, but people high up in PSU athletes have plenty of power and influence to get things done, and they didn't use it here. Such a passive approach reaction from so-called leadership people.

    Up until these recent allegations, Sandusky was still listed on PSU's website as a coach or whatever emeritus and had perks and privileges as a former PSU employee. Officially he still had plenty of access at the school. I really can't fathom why all these people didn't do whatever they had to to stop him from raping kids.

    And I still wonder why Sandusky was fired or whatever it was in 1999 (?) from PSU? Was this after the first set of allegations that failed to produce criminal charges? It makes me think Joe P knew more even back then than he let on.

  4. #109
    Elite Member Bellatheball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    He "retired" in 1999, right after charges were brought against him from an incident in 1998. However, he was allowed to continue to bring underprivledged boys (from his charity) to PSU facilities, game, and on bowl trips. I think it was after McQueary caught him in 2002 that PSU officials decided he shouldn't bring boys around there anymore. He, however, was fully welcome.

    Again, testimony was given by all of the higher ups and Paterno early this year. They ALL knew about these allegations and yet they continued to let him on campus. In fact, he was lifting with the team a week before he was arressted.

    Sluce, good to hear some PSU fans are supporting the victims. I always thought PSU had an edge in conduct and sportsmanship so to see thousands of kids in the streets and hundreds at his doorstep protesting his firing is disgusting. I cannot fathom how anyone sees this situation in shades of gray. He enabled a sick ba$tard for many many years and he knew what was going on. I'm shocked at the people in PA who can find it within themselves to give him any benefit of the doubt.

  5. #110
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,823

    Default

    I was flabbergasted at the students protesting his firing too. I don't understand how anyone can see it that way. I mean, were they drunk? Like black-out drunk? To me, they're sending the message that football and this coach is more important than a little detail like the fact that he did nothing to stop this sick fuck from raping kids. He could be the best coach in the world ever, but HELLO?!? it will always be trumped by the fact that he turned a blind eye to child rape.

    So, YES OF COURSE something like this is going to taint his legacy and rightfully so. He tainted it himself through his own actions, or lack thereof.

  6. #111
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I was flabbergasted at the students protesting his firing too. I don't understand how anyone can see it that way. I mean, were they drunk? Like black-out drunk? To me, they're sending the message that football and this coach is more important than a little detail like the fact that he did nothing to stop this sick fuck from raping kids. He could be the best coach in the world ever, but HELLO?!? it will always be trumped by the fact that he turned a blind eye to child rape.

    So, YES OF COURSE something like this is going to taint his legacy and rightfully so. He tainted it himself through his own actions, or lack thereof.
    Joe P and PSU athletics are a big reason many people are attracted to PSU in the first place. Plus, many college students are still more like kids than adults in the way they think. In their minds, I would guess, someone else raped those kids and they don't think PSU football and its fans should suffer because of it. And it's not only kids who think this way...none of the adults involved in the situation took responsibility. So to me it's sad, but not surprising. They just don't get it. I really hope someone in that administration comes out and helps these kids see how misplaced their priorities are. You are supposed to learn something in college--maybe they can learn this much at least.

  7. #112
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    ^^ Many alumni are trying to get the kids to understand. Remember there are 42,000 people at PSU. Only about 1K rioted last night and most were drunk.

    I'm shocked at the people in PA who can find it within themselves to give him any benefit of the doubt.

    I am not sure that people are trying to give him benefit of doubt. It's more that people are struggling to understand, as if it were their beloved family member who has been accused. People want to know more. The timelines keep getting reported in different ways. They want to know what he knew and when he knew it, etc. Many fear that much more info is yet to come out. Allowing young boys to be raped is so against all that everyone believed Paterno to represent.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  8. #113
    Elite Member Bellatheball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    Maybe I'm wrong and it's just a vocal minority who are supporting Paterno but it seems as though he has a lot of people in his corner. The very fact that this is so counter to everything anyone believes about him should be a wake up call. What else will come out? There are rumors about one of the QBs who played in 1998. He was their starting QB (and was successful) and got yanked for the bowl game.

    Every time someone publically supports this program, they are essentially telling the victims they don't matte. That is also what Paterno, McQueary and the rest told them ages ago.

  9. #114
    Elite Member MontanaMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Evading P6 & P7
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    He "retired" in 1999, right after charges were brought against him from an incident in 1998. However, he was allowed to continue to bring underprivledged boys (from his charity) to PSU facilities, game, and on bowl trips. I think it was after McQueary caught him in 2002 that PSU officials decided he shouldn't bring boys around there anymore. He, however, was fully welcome.

    Again, testimony was given by all of the higher ups and Paterno early this year. They ALL knew about these allegations and yet they continued to let him on campus. In fact, he was lifting with the team a week before he was arressted.
    That's the stuff that completely undermines any discussion that he met his obligation.

    McQueary still employed?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

  10. #115
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post

    It makes me wonder if these kids were considered throw away kids to them? Because they came from poor families, did they just not care? I mean what if McQueary had walked in on Sandusky raping a female student? Would he have reacted? Or just walked out again because the guy was a coach?
    Any girl who was raped would be excused as well. Yeah, *I think* because the boys were from poor families it was easier for Penn State to ignore it. Girls would be the same. There is always an excuse - she was drunk, what was she doing alone with a man in the gym, didn't she know better, she was flirting.

    Once there is so much power concentrated in one place anything that threatens the power gets trampled.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

  11. #116
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    I disagree that supporting the program tells victims they don't matter. Supporting the adults who allowed this to happen is terrible but the rest of the staff who were not involved and the kids who play on that team, deserve support from their fans. That's like spitting on soldiers because you disagree with the politicans who sent them to war.

    I beleive it is a vocal minority who are getting the press. The are not covering the remaining 41k who are not rioting and are instead focusing on their studies.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  12. #117
    Elite Member Dean James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Methtopia
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    I read on deadspin that the sister of victim #2, the 10 year old in the showers, is a current student at PSU and she doesn't understand why paterno was fired. That's mind boggling to me.

    This is her: "Joe, I think, did what he was supposed to do and was focused on his team," she says. "I never blamed him...Penn State isn't Sandusky. He's a very small part. Penn State did enable him, and I am ashamed of that. But I don't blame people that didn't know about it, and I certainly don't blame the student body. Penn State's getting a bad rap, when it was really just the mistakes of a few men."

    www.deadspin.com
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

  13. #118
    Elite Member MontanaMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Evading P6 & P7
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I disagree that supporting the program tells victims they don't matter. Supporting the adults who allowed this to happen is terrible but the rest of the staff who were not involved and the kids who play on that team, deserve support from their fans. That's like spitting on soldiers because you disagree with the politicans who sent them to war.

    I beleive it is a vocal minority who are getting the press. The are not covering the remaining 41k who are not rioting and are instead focusing on their studies.
    Well said and isn't it always the vocal minority that gets the press?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

  14. #119
    Elite Member Bellatheball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    I disagree. If those boys are at home watching the press, what are they going to see? They're going to see a bunch of students huddled at his house cheering for him. They're going to see fans who are angry that he was fired. They're going to hear that this situation is the downfall of PSU as we've known it. They've already been victimized. Now they get a bunch of misguided Paterno fans who stand behind him instead of them.

    I'm a huge Iowa fan. Huge. If this ever happened here, the LAST thing I'd be doing is backing our coach or giving him the benefit of the doubt. Like I said, PSU will only come out of this ok if they fire all of them, take any legal lumps and tell the world any fall out is worth it if it prevents it from happening again.

  15. #120
    Elite Member Bellatheball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    I read on deadspin that the sister of victim #2, the 10 year old in the showers, is a current student at PSU and she doesn't understand why paterno was fired. That's mind boggling to me.

    This is her: "Joe, I think, did what he was supposed to do and was focused on his team," she says. "I never blamed him...Penn State isn't Sandusky. He's a very small part. Penn State did enable him, and I am ashamed of that. But I don't blame people that didn't know about it, and I certainly don't blame the student body. Penn State's getting a bad rap, when it was really just the mistakes of a few men."

    Deadspin, Sports News without Access, Favor, or Discretion
    This is digusting on every level.

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pope's Arrival In UK Overshadowed By Abuse Scandal
    By Honey in forum Faith and Religion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 17th, 2010, 01:04 PM
  2. New church sex abuse scandal...this time with video
    By buttmunch in forum Faith and Religion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM
  5. Dr. Phil caught in child abuse scandal
    By marie in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: January 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •