Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Huge sexual abuse scandal (against little boys) coming out of Penn State

The NCAA came down harshly on Penn State's football program Monday, taking unprecedented steps in punishing a member institution for the willing conceit and cover up related to a serial child rapist in their midst. Here are the key aspects of the NCAA's penalties:

-$60 million dollar fine
    -Four year post season ban, including bowls and Big Ten title game appearances
    -loss of 10 scholarships per year for the next four years
    -Players can immediately transfer without having to sit out a year and 'receiving' schools can go over the 85 scholarship limit this year to bring them into their programs. After this year, those programs who brought in Penn State players would need to fit them in under their 85 scholarship maximum.

The Big Ten will also not give Penn State it's bowl revenue share for four years, instead donating the revenues to charitable organizations. This will be around $13 million dollars.
    Posted on HawkeyeNation.com

I think this was actually a fairly brilliant move by the NCAA to protect the players at PSU. They aren't making them sit out. There aren't many open schollies for the upcoming year so letting teams go over the limit for PSU kids is also fairly generous to the players. It's a huge hit to PSU though.
    eboni likes this.

They deserved a ban, for at least a year. But in the end it's all about money. The Big Ten TV money cannot be interfered with.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by jeri View Post
    The Penn State football program was punished because of the cover up. Knowledge of Sandusky sexually abusing at least one boy was covered up for years. All Paterno and the higher ups had to do was report the crime! Yes, there would've been a scandal but of much smaller proportions than the current one.

I was a NCAA athlete (partial scholarship in a women's sport) and I know about all the ins and outs of recruiting, too. However, the so-called non-revenue sports were treated far worse than the football and men's basketball programs. This was back in the 70's shortly after Title 9 went into effect. I'm just glad that I was able to get out of school with a good degree and no debt (worked part-time all four years.)

If you're going to be mad be mad at those who covered up pedophilia.
    Everyone is mad at those who covered up and they are being punished through the legal system. The program did not cover up the crime and abuse. People did and they should all be held accountable. However, the players are being punished and they had nothing to do with what happened. The local businesses are being punished. What did they do to deserve this?
    FelineStrange likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I am so sick of hearing the whining about the "innocent victims" being the other players, the students, the faculty. No. The innocent victims in this case were the kids who were abused heinously for years with the culpability of Penn State. Oh, now some guys can no longer call themselves football champions? Boo fucking hoo.

Yes, this will make things difficult for PSU for a few years. Yes, they will lose money. Yes, those players under Paterno have lost their use of championship titles. But SO FUCKING WHAT. They're not the ones who were RAPED.

The very fact that so many are whining about this just illustrates why it had to be done: because people still think that all that matters is the football. This is the exact culture that allowed it to happen, the culture that says, "Well, we don't want to punish anybody because god, those boys sure play football so hard and it might affect the rest of the school!" It's not the fucking Pennsylvania State University of Football. It's supposed to be an institution of learning. Let their football program get kowtowed for few years and maybe people in State College might wake up, get goddamn lives and realize that making gods out of people who are good at winning games got them into this mess.

Everyone who supported Penn State and Paterno are culpable in this mess, even those who didn't know about Sandusky, because it was their insane idolatry that contributed to this. Anyone who contributed money to PSU or cheered Paterno on and allowed him to act like an unimpeachable god is guilty. The school itself, State College businesses, etc. deserve to be punished because they contributed to the culture that allowed a child rapist to commit his crimes ON CAMPUS with the knowledge of PSU's administration. They profited off the abuse of children, whether they knew it or not. They gave Joe Paterno absolute power, now they're paying the consequences. Good. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake next time.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Sorry NoNo but I feel you are out of line. There are many victims in this case. Acknowledging that others are also victims of Sandusky's actions and the asshole who allowed the cover up does not in any way diminish what these poor young men who were raped have experienced. Your inability to see that is sad and limited.
    msdeb and greysfang like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Well, gee, somehow I think those "other victims" will have a helluva lot easier time "recovering" than the children who had their lives destroyed. Excuse me if I don't cry because some t-shirt shop in State College will lose money on their JoePa memorial shirts, or because some football player will have to transfer and get his ass kissed by some other Big Ten program, or whoever the hell you think the "victims" in this case are.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Well, gee, somehow I think those "other victims" will have a helluva lot easier time "recovering" than the children who had their lives destroyed. Excuse me if I don't cry because some t-shirt shop in State College will lose money on their JoePa memorial shirts, or because some football player will have to transfer and get his ass kissed by some other Big Ten program, or whoever the hell you think the "victims" in this case are.
    there were more victims in this case besides those kids. The students that go to that school, that had no part in what went on are victims. The players past and present are being affected, and they had no part in what went on either.

There are a lot of people affected by this. No one expects you to cry, but have some compassion for EVERYONE that was affected by this asshole.
    sluce, McJag, greysfang and 2 others like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Your inability to see beyond black and white is frightening. I work with victims every damned day. I know all too well that the impact goes well beyond just the child/person who was assaulted.
    eboni and Lalique like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Everyone is mad at those who covered up and they are being punished through the legal system. The program did not cover up the crime and abuse. People did and they should all be held accountable. However, the players are being punished and they had nothing to do with what happened. The local businesses are being punished. What did they do to deserve this?
    Many (in fact most) would argue Joe Paterno WAS that program. I've heard that mentioned a thousand times in the last eight months in fact.

They players are being very well protected by the NCAA. They can transfer and lose no playing time. Teams can take them and not have it count against their 85 scholarships. The kids who want to walk still get to keep an academic scholarship at PSU to finish their education.
    eboni likes this.

Bella that is little consolation to the many people impacted by this decision. Most schools already have their line-ups signed and in training. These kids who are Juniors and seniors have already established themseleves in their positions as well as academically. I'm sorry but it is not so simplistic. Joe Paterno was the coach and indeed had way too much power at the school but he was not the program. The program is made up of the players who won the games. Joe may have been a strong coach but the kids won the games.
    FelineStrange likes this.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. He was there for, what? 50 years? He was the face of that program. In fact all of the people currently arguing that he got the shaft are saying he made PSU. Not just the football program but the school itself. On that point I'll agree with them. In 2010, if you'd have asked anyone in the rest of the country to say they first thing that comes to mind when they hear Penn State, I'd bet 75% would say Joe Paterno and 25% would say football. I doubt anyone would have named a single player. In fact Paterno wanted it that way which is why none of them had their names on their jerseys.
    dilligaf likes this.

At least they didn't get the Death Penalty SMU got. For paying some players behind the scenes, not huge amounts either. It killed the football and has taken almost 20 years to recover. It could be worse..
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

he students that go to that school, that had no part in what went on are victims.
    Please explain how. How, exactly, are most of the students "victimized" by the NCAA sanctions? Will it prevent them from getting an education? A degree? Going about their lives? How exactly are they victims, aside from having to adjust their social calendar slightly and actually maybe having to work or get an identity from something that is not PSU's football program? Tell me more about the incredible sorrow we should feel for the same entitled, spoiled brat little students who started a riot and caused thousands of dollars in damaged property when the university dared to take down Paterno's statue the first time. Or should I just cry for the ones who are causing the avalanche of enraged posts on Twitter calling the NCAA "a bunch of n*ggers"?

How horribly offensive to any victim of sexual abuse, and these in this case especially, to try imply that the simple inconvenience "suffered" by these students makes them equivalent to the actual children who were raped.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. He was there for, what? 50 years? He was the face of that program. In fact all of the people currently arguing that he got the shaft are saying he made PSU.
    What with the library named after him, the massive bronze statue in front of the stadium, the plaque in his honor, his face and name plastered all over t-shirts, memorabilia, books, DVDs and PSU recruiting materials - I don't know how anyone could get the mistaken assumption that Paterno was the face of the football program.

Of course it was the players who actually won the games, but sorry, it's too late to say that now. People were content for decades to let Paterno take all the credit, for him to boost himself up as the sole reason for Penn State's success. Everyone was content to worship at Paterno's feet while letting him shove the players aside. It's too late to back track and make it all about the players - Penn State chose to make it all about Joe Paterno, and now they're paying the price.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    At least they didn't get the Death Penalty SMU got. For paying some players behind the scenes, not huge amounts either. It killed the football and has taken almost 20 years to recover. It could be worse..
    Very true. Four years of no post season will hurt, but it won't crush the program. Not being able to attract the top talent will sting a lot longer, but I would think they can recover within the decade. I'm glad the ncaa gave the current crop of players some leeway so their potential careers aren't completely in shambles.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

On the other hand, the Paterno Library symbolizes the substantial and lasting contributions to the academic life and educational excellence that the Paterno family has made to Penn State University. The library remains a tribute to Joe and Sue Paterno's commitment to Penn State's student body and academic success, and it highlights the positive impacts Coach Paterno had on the University. Thus I feel strongly that the library's name should remain unchanged.
    They should change the library name. I was going about my business, literally, at work and all of the sudden something came up I had to process for PENN STATE UNIVERSITY - PATERNO LIBRARY. I was sickened to be reminded of the horrible actions and NON-actions that happened. I felt bad for the school that they were tricked into (complacent with?) naming the library after him. I feel especially embarrassed for the poor people who work in the library. If they don't change the name, that's even more embarrassing and almost disgusting.
    dilligaf likes this.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Thread Information