Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Huge sexual abuse scandal (against little boys) coming out of Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    What statute? They already took Paterno's down last year.
    There were rumors in big media outlets that it was going to be taken down over Thanksgiving break but it never was. Damn fucking shame.

They had removed Sandusky from the mural back in the fall and painted over Joe's halo. The status stood until the report was released showing they believe he played a part in making the decision to not go to the police. The ongoing investigation will be interesting. The family claims there are no emails that show Joe ever made a statement and instead said this did not involve him. Either way, he failed to protect those kids.

The NCAA sanctions should be announced this week. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

they removed the paterno statute today:

some quotes from the university's statement:

Since we learned of the Grand Jury presentment and the charges against Jerry Sandusky and University officials last November, members of the Penn State community and the public have been made much more acutely aware of the tragedy of child sexual abuse. Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to those victims of Mr. Sandusky and all other victims of child abuse. I assure you that Penn State will take a national leadership role in the detection and prevention of child maltreatment in the months and years ahead.

I now believe that, contrary to its original intention, Coach Paterno's statue has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing in our University and beyond. For that reason, I have decided that it is in the best interest of our university and public safety to remove the statue and store it in a secure location. I believe that, were it to remain, the statue will be a recurring wound to the multitude of individuals across the nation and beyond who have been the victims of child abuse.

On the other hand, the Paterno Library symbolizes the substantial and lasting contributions to the academic life and educational excellence that the Paterno family has made to Penn State University. The library remains a tribute to Joe and Sue Paterno's commitment to Penn State's student body and academic success, and it highlights the positive impacts Coach Paterno had on the University. Thus I feel strongly that the library's name should remain unchanged.

Coach Paterno's positive impact over the years and everything he did for this University predate his statue. At the same time it is true that our institution's excellence cannot be attributed to any one person or to athletics. Rather, Penn State is defined by our actions and accomplishments as a learning community. Penn State has long been an outstanding academic institution and we will continue to be.

I fully realize that my decision will not be popular in some Penn State circles, but I am certain it is the right and principled decision. I believe we have chosen a course that both recognizes the many contributions that Joe Paterno made to the academic life of our University, while taking seriously the conclusions of the Freeh Report and the national issue of child sexual abuse. Today, as every day, our hearts go out to the victims.
    more: http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/07...sanctions.html

Penn State fined $60 million, avoids football

Penn State fined $60 million, avoids football ‘death penalty’
    By Erik Matuszewski
    | Bloomberg News

First Published 1 minute ago • Updated 1 minute ago
    Pennsylvania State University was fined $60 million as college sports’ governing body penalized the school for its handling of a child sex-abuse case involving assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. It avoided the stiffest punishment, a shutdown of the football program that was at the center of the scandal.
    The school also was stripped of all its wins from 1998 through 2011, barred from postseason games for four years and lost 20 total scholarships annually for four seasons, according to a release from the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

The discipline announced by the National Collegiate Athletic Association avoided the so-called death penalty against the program where Joe Paterno, the coach who won a record 409 games, became a focus of the scandal. Paterno’s record will also lose the victories he recorded as coach from 1998 through last season.

The NCAA acted against the State College, Pennsylvania- based school less than two weeks after an investigation found Paterno, who died of lung cancer in January, and other school officials tried to cover up abuse allegations. Sandusky, a football assistant coach for 31 years, was convicted last month on 45 criminal counts tied to the abuse of 10 boys over a 15- year period starting in 1994.
    While Penn State avoided having its football program shut down, the NCAA’s "corrective and punitive measures" probably will severely affect a school that ranks sixth all-time with 827 victories at college football’s highest level and won two national titles during Paterno’s 46-year tenure as coach.
    It also will have an immense effect on the school’s finances. In the fiscal year ending in 2011, Penn State’s athletic department generated $116.1 million in operating revenue and posted a $14.8 million operating profit, according to school records.
    Of Penn State’s 29 sports teams, only football and men’s basketball were profitable last year, with football generating an operating profit of $43.8 million on $58.9 million in revenue. The Nittany Lions had a 9-4 record last season.
    A shutdown of the football program would have cost Penn State and the surrounding community more than $70 million, according to an economic study commissioned by the university for the 2008-09 school year. That included $51.1 million spent on hotels, souvenirs, food, services and entertainment by out- of-state visitors, which represent about 15 percent of those attending games at Beaver Stadium, which has a capacity of more than 106,500.
    Penn State has an endowment of $1.3 billion, the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette reported in March, citing Graham Spanier, who was dismissed as university president in the scandal.
    The school removed a statue of Paterno outside the football stadium yesterday, 11 days after former Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Louis Freeh issued a report that said Paterno, Spanier and other university officials tried to conceal Sandusky’s abuse of children to protect the school from "bad publicity." Freeh said his seven-month probe -- commissioned by the university’s board of trustees -- found that the abuse could have been stopped in 1998.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Now I feel bad for all the players who've had their records ruined when they didn't know anything. Not for the school though.
    McJag likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I believe the NCAA sanctions go too far. Take away the credit for wins from Paterno but from the kids who actually played the game and won. None of these sanction punish the assholes who failed to protect the kids who were abused. The sanctions punish the kids who attend PSU and play for PSU. It is punishes the tax payers of PA and the businesses around PSU who will now suffer because fewer people will come to watch the games. This yet another example of the NCAA abusing the power they do have all so they can get the press of being the strong arm. This is a criminal issue that did not in any way impact the teams ability to play.

Sandusky's abuse is terrible and he, and all who allowed it to continue, should be in prison. However, the NCAA has abused many more innocent people.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

It had to be done. No other school will try a cover up again with this bad lesson.
    The innocents, faculty,students and players who never had a clue this was going on have to pay the same hefty price. The numbr of victims that one pervert caused is amazing.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sorry McJag but it didn't have to be done. This is a criminal case that did not impact the team's ability to play. Sandusky did not abuse recruits. Recruits were not forced to maintain silence or lose a scholarship. The NCAA has overstepped and I do hope that PSU will fight and challenge the ruling. Mark Emmert has been frustrated since he took the position at the NCAA. The board has tied his hands at every turn and he has hated that he actually has so little power. Now they get a case that is surrounded by so much publicity so he finally takes the power he believed he should have, and abuses that very power. There is a lot more going on inside the NCAAs internal power struggles and these kids are being victimized by the very organization set up to protect them.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Sorry McJag but it didn't have to be done. This is a criminal case that did not impact the team's ability to play. Sandusky did not abuse recruits. Recruits were not forced to maintain silence or lose a scholarship. The NCAA has overstepped and I do hope that PSU will fight and challenge the ruling. Mark Emmert has been frustrated since he took the position at the NCAA. The board has tied his hands at every turn and he has hated that he actually has so little power. Now they get a case that is surrounded by so much publicity so he finally takes the power he believed he should have, and abuses that very power. There is a lot more going on inside the NCAAs internal power struggles and these kids are being victimized by the very organization set up to protect them.
    I understand your outrage,really.
    But the University (CNN says) has accepted the punishment. I have to think they know better than you and I. The harshness (and it is harsh) was expected. That won't make it easier to take. I thought the university would fight it, but no.
    The terrible price that is going to be paid by totally innocent students and decent faculty members is staggering and doesn't seem fair at all, please don't think I am denying that.
    There are thousands of innocent people here flatlined by this.
    It is all over? I don't know, but it seems if Penn State has agreed to pay that fine and go with this, lawyers must be advising them and who knows why.
    I would hope for the sake of the staff and students who never had a voice it any of this, it will all be examined carefully.
    This is terrible from all sides. I expected something of a battle and compromise, doesn't look like that happened. I expected something, this seems take no prisoners.
    We will hear more about it later. I wonder if it is really over.
    I am extremely sorry any of this happened, every bit of it and sympathize with the innocent staff and students. And you. You are quite right.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

Is the punishment just? I know this sounds wishy-washy but I can see both sides. The kids who play football, the alumni, the students, the majority of the faculty, coaches, etc. had no part of this scandal and they are paying the price for what others did - this is going to hurt the football program because none of the top recruits will play there because of the sanctions and no postseason. It will also hurt the local economy there which relies on people eating at local restaurants, hotel accommodations, shopping, etc.

However, Penn State does need to be punished somehow. The entire "Penn State culture" of protecting their own no matter the cost to anyone else needed to be stopped and needs to be an example to other schools. The crimes Sandusky committed (and that Penn State administration covered up) were so heinous the NCAA had to do something. Also, the media pressure put on the NCAA by the media and other outside forces probably contributed to the harsh sentence.

I don't believe this was about "protecting their own" (as in Sandusky), I think this was about protecting the school and that school's reputation. It's wrong and shouldn't have happened but I don't think punishing the students and the program is the way to go.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

They could have killed the entire football program. That what most were expecting. At least with this fine and sanctions, there will be a true chance at rebuilding in a few years.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

They never had any intentions of killing the entire program. The backlash would have been great and they knew it would be challenged in court and they would lose.

My child is an NCAA athlete. The shit we went through in the recruiting process is insane. Their rules are so over the top to stop in appropriate recruiting and ensure a level playing field. I understand that and support their attempts to protect the students. That is their job. At no time were any of the NCAA athletes in danger or put at an advantage or disadvantage due to Sandusky and the other assholes at PSU. This is a legal matter but does not involve the NCAA. Will they do the same now to Syracuse basketball as that investigation continues?

Backlash from whom? Penn State? The general public? Everything put out there suggested that taking football away from Penn State for a year was a very real possibility.

I agree that it's a shame the players are taking a hit for something one monster did and everyone else covered up. It will be interesting to see how this plays out because it does seem like the NCAA is overstepping their bounds a bit.

All of that said, the players come and go. Starting line ups change. It's the coaching staff that is (in this case) consistent. They all failed in some big way. None of them put the welfare of a child before the good of the program, or their jobs, or their egos. When viewed through that lens, the punishment almost seems weak.

To be honest, I think this will actually be good for Penn State. There is absolutely nothing they can do to repair their image other than gracefully accept very stiff penalities, clean house, lay low, and wait it out.

Bronze Member

The Penn State football program was punished because of the cover up. Knowledge of Sandusky sexually abusing at least one boy was covered up for years. All Paterno and the higher ups had to do was report the crime! Yes, there would've been a scandal but of much smaller proportions than the current one.

I was a NCAA athlete (partial scholarship in a women's sport) and I know about all the ins and outs of recruiting, too. However, the so-called non-revenue sports were treated far worse than the football and men's basketball programs. This was back in the 70's shortly after Title 9 went into effect. I'm just glad that I was able to get out of school with a good degree and no debt (worked part-time all four years.)

If you're going to be mad be mad at those who covered up pedophilia.
    Sylkyn and McJag like this.

Thread Information