Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Huge sexual abuse scandal (against little boys) coming out of Penn State

I am satisfied with this verdict.

Bye bye motherfucker!

fgg

Jerry Sandusky the monster is held accountable and his sex abuse victims are heroes for testifying

BELLEFONTE, Pa. Juror No. 4, the foreman, gray-haired and middle-aged, stood high in the back row of the jurors' box, looked down at some sheets of paper, then at Jerry Sandusky and began to deliver a verdict a long, sad time coming.

Guilty. Guilty. Guilty.

Of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. Of indecent assault. Of endangering the welfare of children.

Guilty. Guilty. Guilty.

Of terrorizing the poorest and most vulnerable of this area's youth. Of abusing his fame as a former Penn State defensive coordinator. Of conducting a charade of charitable work to supposedly help children.

Guilty. Guilty. Guilty.

Forty-five times it rang out. Juror No. 4 hammered each one home with the independent force each one deserved.

There were just three charges Sandusky escaped on. After each of those not-guilty counts, it seemed that the foreman raised his voice as he returned to this parade of guilty verdicts.

He seemed to make sure each count was granted its own moment to linger, to emphasize the torture and pain and shattered innocence it produced. Oral sex. Anal sex. Fondling. One despicable act worse than the next.

This here was a night of redemption, a predator laid bare with nowhere to hide, with no more lies to tell, with no one left to save him.

"Mr. Sandusky," Judge John Cleland said when this dramatic, nearly eight-minute condemnation was finally, fully read, "you have been found guilty by a jury of your peers."

Sandusky, clad in slacks and a brown sport coat, stood mostly motionless throughout, looking up at Juror 4 as the truth was slammed down onto him, as the light was finally and irrevocably cast on his behavior. His left hand was placed casually in his pocket while behind him his wife, Dottie, three adopted sons and an adopted daughter either shook their heads at the jury or openly wept.

Moments later, Sandusky gave a quick wave to his family as he was led out by sheriff's deputies. Judge Cleland will formally sentence him in about 90 days.

The 68-year-old faces up to 442 years behind bars, or what might as well be forever and ever and ever some more. His defense attorney, Joe Amendola, hinted at an appeal, but it likely would be fruitless.

On the other side of the courtroom, Victim No. 6, who as an 11 year-old in 1998 was abused by Sandusky in a Penn State locker room shower, an act that was investigated but never prosecuted, laid his head on the top of the bench in front of him and sobbed uncontrollably. He was soon hugging family members who had joined him.

"I'm just overwhelmed," he said, now a grown man, strong and no longer timid in the face of an old pathetic coach.

Soon reporters were racing out of the courthouse, set to break the news of the guilty verdict to a huge throng that had gathered on the steps. Dottie Sandusky was kneeling by then in front of her family, trying to provide comfort when the word of the verdict hit the masses.

The roaring cheers and screams of joy swept right through the courthouse door, up the stairs and into the second-floor courtroom. They startled Dottie, whose head snapped up at the noise and then sunk down as she realized the people of Centre County were celebrating her husband's demise.

Sandusky will be held at the local jail until he can be evaluated by the state prison system and assigned accordingly. He is expected to wind up in protective custody, away from the general population, for his own protection. That likely means 23 hours a day in a 6-by-8-foot cell. In other words, a concrete box of hell.

"He was prepared to go to jail tonight," Amendola said. "Mentally prepared. He's not scared. I think given the circumstances of the case and how the trial was going, he knew this was coming.

"This is not a surprise. This is what everyone expected."

Amendola said Sandusky's one regret was not being able to "tell his story" from the witness stand. His 33-year-old adoptive son, Matt, determined during the trial that Jerry abused him as a child. He made himself available as a prosecution witness. Matt couldn't be called, however, unless the state had introduced the incidents on a cross-examination of Jerry Sandusky. It was too much for the defense to risk.

"Even though Jerry, Dottie and the other kids deny Matt's allegation, it would've been explosive," Amendola said. "There was no way Jerry could testify without Matt being called."

They walked Sandusky out the back door of the courthouse and to a waiting sheriff's vehicle, just 50 yards downhill from where they used to hang criminals in the courtyard of the old county jail.

Back then they'd invite as many people as they could fit to ring the gallows and bear witness. Those that couldn't gain admission would climb the roofs of local houses to watch the execution from high above in this old tightly packed, Victorian downtown.

That was the 1800s, but things haven't changed so much; just five miles from here, at the Rockview prison, is the state's execution chamber. And in Bellefonte tradition, a crowd gathered to jeer and scream Friday night behind the courthouse, to let their venom ring around Sandusky's head for eternity.

Happy Valley, indeed.

The verdict ended the fallacy that this was an area too devoted to Penn State football to render a fair and proper judgment. The anger at Sandusky was deeper than the outside world could fathom. There may have been a conspiracy to protect Sandusky in the highest levels of Penn State. That will be played out in legal proceedings against university officials, an independent investigation set for release next month and the inevitable slew of civil cases to come that will seek to tap into the school's $1.8 billion endowment.

None of that represents the rank and file here, not the good people who never hesitated to see Sandusky as a monster and were pained when he seemingly dragged the entire region's reputation down with him.

For at least 15 years Sandusky quietly stalked this idyllic, Rockwellian community, preying on its most susceptible boys. Using his Second Mile charity to meet at-risk kids, he often fostered relationships with the poor, the fatherless, the troubled or even simply the bored.

In one haunting bit of testimony, Victim No. 4 recounted that he compartmentalized the sexual abuse from Sandusky and endured teasing from classmates who suspected something inappropriate because he had so few positives in his life. The chance to leave his little town and troubled home for afternoons hanging around the Penn State football program were enough, he testified.

"I thought, 'I didn't want to lose this. This is something good happening to me,' " he said.

This, time and again, is whom Sandusky chose to target, to trick, to molest, to injure forever. Under the camouflage of mentoring, he stripped them of their innocence and left them in a confused heap in an empty locker room or alone in a dark basement, used and discarded on some creepy waterbed.

During this trial a parade of victims overcame their own fear and embarrassment to detail, often with chilling testimony through sobs and gasped breath, what Sandusky did to them. They uncovered a hidden side to this bucolic region, where not everyone is wealthy and educated and as pure as Penn State's famous white uniforms.

They also cried about regret. Victim No. 4, now 28, said he wished he'd summoned the courage to come forward sooner and save the younger victims. Victim No. 9's mother wept at the memories of sending her son, against his wishes, to stay with Sandusky because she believed he needed a positive male role model.

Former Penn State assistant coach Mike McQueary noted that he didn't punch out Sandusky when he discovered him in a shower abusing a boy in 2001 and instead let his university bosses handle the case. Which they didn't. A former Penn State police detective conveyed his frustration at not being able to convince the then-district attorney to charge Sandusky in 1998.

On and on it went. Years and years and years. Incident after incident after incident.

Until finally, deep into a warm Friday night, Juror 4 stood up in that box, representing 11 other citizens that had pored over each and every allegation during 21 hours of deliberation, and read from those papers.

Finally, it was over for Sandusky. Finally, the deception and protection were gone. Finally, this once hulking man, backed by the prestige of Nittany Lion football, propped up by the illusion of charitable work, had nowhere to run, no tale to tell, no one capable of keeping him from facing the awful truth of his life.

Guilty. Guilty. Damn, Damn Guilty.

Jerry Sandusky the monster is held accountable and his sex abuse victims are heroes for testifying - Yahoo! Sports
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

CNN is saying he's under suicide watch. Gee shocking.

Ok, I read that Matt Sandusky started hanging around the Sandusky house when he was 10, and wasn't adopted til he was 16. Didn't anyone find that strange? And Matt's birth mother gave a statement on the news how devastated she was to find out about the molestation, and how she thought Sandusky was a role model. So, what, did she just hand her son over to be adopted? It didn't sound like Matt was in the foster child system. It all seemed very strange.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

that yahoo article reads like some kind of bad novel. talk about overly dramatic reporting.

i can't help but think that, even if he does go to prison forever, he's already 68. he had a full life and only got caught this late in the game so in a sense, the fucking bastard won. i really hope the university is forced to shell out tens of millions of dollars. it's the least they can do for letting this go on for so long.
    McJag likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    that yahoo article reads like some kind of bad novel. talk about overly dramatic reporting.

i can't help but think that, even if he does go to prison forever, he's already 68. he had a full life and only got caught this late in the game so in a sense, the fucking bastard won. i really hope the university is forced to shell out tens of millions of dollars. it's the least they can do for letting this go on for so long.
    Yeah, I know. Whatever they do to him, it can't ever be enough.

When do they announce/decide how long he will be jailed for? (Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question - I live in England so not totally aware of the American justice system).

Also, I agree with Sluce's post. It's clear that Sandusky's wife and family have 'sided' with Jerry Sandusky against Matt Sandusky. I find it hard to believe Dottie Sandusky did not even have her suspicions about what was going on. There again, I'm biased as I'm in a similar situation (my mum 'sided' with my stepdad and is still married to him. Had to cope with all sorts of crap coming from my so-called family, I'm hoping Matt doesn't receive similar).

He will have a sentencing hearing in either 2 or 3 months. I've seen sources reporting both 60 and 90 days.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    He will have a sentencing hearing in either 2 or 3 months. I've seen sources reporting both 60 and 90 days.
    Thank you very much Greysfang. I've been following this case with interest (although doesn't appear to have been reported over here much in England, well not that I've seen, so have had to rely mainly on American sites for information). I'll be keeping an eye out for when they announce the sentencing hearing.

fgg

Sandusky lawyers raise appeal issue on timing

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) Jerry Sandusky's lawyers said Saturday they tried to quit at the start of jury selection in his child sex abuse trial because they weren't given enough time to prepare, raising an argument on the trial's speed that could become the thrust of an appeal.

And one of the jurors who convicted Sandusky of 45 child sex abuse counts said Saturday he was swayed by the ''very convincing'' testimony of eight accusers who said the retired Penn State assistant football coach molested them for years.

''It's hard to judge character on the stand, because you don't know these kids,'' juror Joshua Harper told NBC's ''Today'' show. ''But most were very credible - I would say all.''

A day after Sandusky's conviction, his lawyers disclosed they felt too unprepared to adequately defend him because of how quickly the case was brought to trial. Experts have said the seven months between Sandusky's November arrest and trial was fast-paced by Pennsylvania standards.

''We told the trial court, the Superior Court and the Supreme Court we were not prepared to proceed to trial in June due to numerous issues, and we asked to withdraw from the case for those reasons,'' attorney Joe Amendola told The Associated Press.

The issues included a scheduling conflict with a defense team member and the need to read a cache of documents produced by a lengthy grand jury investigation. Judge John Cleland denied their request.

The attorneys raised other issues that could be part of the future appeal, saying a mistrial was sought and denied over a repetition at trial of a brief part of a November interview Sandusky had with NBC's Bob Costas.

Jurors in the two-week trial convicted Sandusky of 45 of the 48 counts against him, meaning Sandusky, 68, likely will die in prison.

Harper said the accusers who testified one by one of horrific abuse at Sandusky's hands were each believable, ''but then also the fact that we saw this corroborating story between all of them. It was very convincing.''

Then Sandusky's impassive face when the verdict was read was confirmation for the jury, he said.

''I looked at him during the reading of the verdict and just the look on his face. No real emotion,'' he said, ''because he knew it was true.''

Harper said jurors had some issues with the testimony of Mike McQueary, a then-assistant who said he saw Sandusky assaulting a boy in the Penn State showers in 2001; jurors acquitted Sandusky on one count relating to the incident.

The case is poised to move to an investigation of university officials' role in reporting the charges; two ex-school administrators face trial on charges they didn't properly report McQueary's account of the suspected abuse in 2001.

Almost immediately after the verdict, Penn State President Rodney Erickson signaled an openness to quickly settle potential civil lawsuits arising from the convictions, saying the school ''wants to provide a forum where the university can privately, expeditiously and fairly address the victims' concerns and compensate them for claims.''

The university recently reported a $1.8 billion endowment. But both sides have reasons not to want to go to court, said Jason Kutulakis, a Harrisburg-area lawyer who specializes in child welfare and juvenile law. Victims are reluctant to get on the stand and have their credibility attacked, he said.

But ''Penn State's got so much egg on their face, they probably just want to make it all go away,'' he said.

For now, the school is facing one lawsuit from an accuser, Travis Weaver, who was not among those represented in the criminal case against Sandusky.

Lawyers for McQueary, who testified against Sandusky, have signaled their intent to sue, along with a lawyer for one accuser, so-called Victim 5.

Jeff Anderson, who represents Weaver, said that he represents more victims of Sandusky's and that he will ask the court to allow him to begin seeking information from Penn State in Weaver's case.

The next step is to determine the extent of Penn State's culpability, lawyers say. In part, that means finding out who in the university's upper ranks knew Sandusky was preying on boys and could have stopped it.

The former Penn State officials facing charges, athletic director Tim Curley and retired vice president Gary Schultz, are charged with lying to a grand jury about what they knew of a 2001 incident in which McQueary said he saw Sandusky assaulting a boy in a football team shower.

A separate investigation by ex-FBI director Louis Freeh, who was hired by Penn State's board of trustees to investigate the university's handling of the Sandusky allegations, is due later this summer.

Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno was fired for a failure of leadership for not going to the police after McQueary told him about that incident. The scandal also caused the departure of university president Graham Spanier.

Philadelphia-based lawyer Fortunato Perri Jr., who followed the trial, said the jury's dismissal of the charge involving the 2001 shower incident could help Curley and Schultz' defense.

''You've now had a jury kind of preview your case with respect to the credibility of McQueary, and they didn't believe him,'' Perri said. ''Who knows if the next jury would believe him or not believe him?''

But the administrators' attorneys would probably be precluded from introducing the acquittal evidence at the separate trial, Perri said.

Sandusky's sentencing is expected to occur in about three months; an exact date hasn't been set. Because of the severity of the charges and mandatory minimum sentences, he faces an effective life sentence.

Until his next court date, Sandusky is one of 272 inmates at the Centre County Correctional Facility, seven miles from the Penn State campus. He was kept under watch overnight and is allowed access to some personal items including a prayer book, and can get visits from family, friends and attorneys.

Rominger said he planned to visit him on Sunday.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Yeah I really fail to understand what goes on in the heads of the wives of these monsters, when they side with the abuser in full denial even with irrefutable proof. They're another kind of monster altogether.
    Air Quotes likes this.

It's got to be some kind of major fucked up defense mechanism. If a wife believes the accusation, she has to face that she married a monster. Maybe for some, clinging to the lie for dear life is the only thing that keeps them from going insane.

I heard Matt was 18 when adopted. Why would you need adopted at 18? It makes me think that it was a pay off for him, and the other boys. Take my name and get help with money, college, career and a new life.

I have a feeling they will put the puke in a cushy jail, so he is protected. Put the piece of shit in general population. Why should he be protected? No one protected those young boys.

CDAN is claiming that when Sandusky was lead into the jail the inmates serenaded him with "Hey Teacher, leave those kids alone!"
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The inmates were singing a line from a Pink Floyd song all night to Jerry. " Hey Teacher, leave them kids alone" is what they sang. They aren't allowed to speak directly to him so they annoyed him by singing. HAHAHA......and the fun is just beginning for Jerry.

Thread Information