Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Huge sexual abuse scandal (against little boys) coming out of Penn State

Guys - I'm just reporting what I'm hearing on local sports radio. Who knows what's true and what's not right now?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I've always been inclined to think that Paterno was a stand up guy. I just cannot see why anyone would knowingly cover this up. There is just no way to make this kind of thing go away and will shower shit on anyone even remotely near it.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Let me this right... it was a mother who busted this out in the open while all the others, men, who kept quiet about it?

Nice... another reason to not trust men?
    Not very fair to any of the good guys.

I'll have to find the whole statement from Paterno but he essentially said the GA came over to his house on a Saturday and was clearly shaken by what he had seen but Paterno said he did not hear any of the details.

A few other interesting things...the GA is reported to be McQueary who is currently an assistant coach on PSU's staff. So he saw a little boy being raped, was afraid for his own career/safety/whatever and hightailed it out of there leaving the boy on his own. Then he reports it to Paterno and figures that's good enough. Somewhere along the line, he gets promoted. Fantastic.

Sandusky retained keys to PSU and its facilities as a friend of the program even after all of this went down. He was weight lifting with the team as recently as last week.

Another interesting bit is that one of the boy's moms went to the police with concerns about Sandusky showering with her son. The police apparently hid in her home while she confronted Sandusky who said he knew what he did was wrong and it would never be repeated. For whatever reason, charges weren't immediately pressed. The DA on the case turned up missing sometime later. They found his car and a missing harddrive but can't find him.

From ESPN's Adam Rittenberg:

Here's Paterno's full statement:

If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters. While I did what I was supposed to with the one charge brought to my attention, like anyone else involved I can’t help but be deeply saddened these matters are alleged to have occurred.
    Sue and I have devoted our lives to helping young people reach their potential. The fact that someone we thought we knew might have harmed young people to this extent is deeply troubling. If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers.
    As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.
    I understand that people are upset and angry, but let's be fair and let the legal process unfold. In the meantime I would ask all Penn Staters to continue to trust in what that name represents, continue to pursue their lives every day with high ideals and not let these events shake their beliefs nor who they are.

Also, the (Harrisburg) Patriot-News has identified the graduate assistant who gave the eyewitness account as Mike McQueary, now the team's wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator. McQueary was the team's starting quarterback in 1997 and has been on staff for the past eight seasons.
    Timeline for anyone trying to keep up. Some of this might be difficult to read but there is nothing absolutely graphic.

Sandusky abuse claims date back to 1994, grand jury says - CNN.com

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the CNN article
    The child sex investigation against retired Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky began in 2009 with the first report of allegations to law enforcement. But allegations and eyewitness accounts, some known to university officials, date back as far as 1994.
    Here's a look at the timeline, drawn from the grand jury report, the Pennslyvania attorney general's office and a statement from The Second Mile, a charity founded by Sandusky to help troubled youth:

1977 -- Sandusky founds "The Second Mile."

1994-1997 -- According to the grand jury report, Sandusky allegedly engages in inappropriate conduct with three different boys he met separately through the Second Mile program. One boy was 7 or 8, another was 10 and the third was 12 or 13 at the time. According to the grand jury report, the now-grown men said Sandusky engaged in inappropriate conduct ranging from touching to outright sexual encounters, including several incidents during the night before Penn State football home games, when the team, staff and boys Sandusky had allegedly invited were staying at a hotel.

1998 -- Penn State police and the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare investigate an incident in which the mother of an 11-year-old boy reported that Sandusky had showered with her son and may have had inappropriate conduct with him. In a June 1, 1998, interview with investigators from both agencies, Sandusky admits showering naked with the boy, admitting that it was wrong and promising not to do it again, according to the grand jury report. The district attorney advises investigators that no charges will be filed and the university police chief instructs that the case be closed, according to the testimony included in the grand jury report of the police detective who investigated the incident.

1999 -- Sandusky retires from Penn State after coaching there for 32 years, but stays on as a volunteer and retains full access to the campus and football facilities.

2000 -- Sandusky allegedly showers with a young boy and tries to touch his genitals during overnight stays at the coach's house, according to the now 24-year-old man's testimony included in the grand jury report.

2000 -- Tim Calhoun, a janitor at the Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus, tells his supervisor and another janitor that he saw Sandusky performing oral sex on a young boy, according to the grand jury report. A second janitor reported that he saw Sandusky and a boy leave a shower room and walk out of the building hand in hand. No one reports the incident to university officials or law enforcement, according to the grand jury report.

March 2, 2002 -- According to the grand jury report, a graduate assistant allegedly tells Coach Joe Paterno that he saw Sandusky in the locker room shower the night before, performing anal sex on a young boy he estimated to be 10 years old.

March 3, 2002 -- Paterno reports the incident to Athletic Director Tim Curley, saying the graduate assistant had seen Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy," according to the grand jury. Later, the assistant is summoned to a meeting with Athletic Director Tim Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz..

While the assistant insists to the grand jury that he told Curley and Schultz that he saw Sandusky and the boy engaged in anal sex, Curley and Schultz told the grand jury they had not been told of such an allegation. Instead, Curley said he had the impression the conduct amounted to non-sexual "horsing around." Schultz said he couldn't remember details, but seemed to recall that "Sandusky might have inappropriately grabbed the young boy's genitals while wrestling," according to the grand jury. Sandusky's locker room keys are confiscated, he is told not to bring his Second Mile participants to campus and the incident is reported to the charity, but no law enforcement investigation is launched, according to the grand jury.

2002 -- The Second Mile learns of the shower incident. Curley tells them that "the information had been internally reviewed and that there was no finding of wrongdoing," the group said in a statement Monday.

2005 or 2006 -- Sandusky allegedly befriends another Second-Mile participant whose allegations would form the foundation of the multi-year grand jury investigation.

2006 or 2007 -- A wrestling coach at the high school where Sandusky was volunteering allegedly surprises Sandusky and the boy "lying on their sides, in physical contact, face to face on a mat" in a cramped weight room. Sandusky jumps to his feet and told the coach the two were just working on wrestling moves, the coach later recalls in grand jury testimony. As time goes on, Sandusky allegedly begins to spend more time with the boy, taking him to sporting events and giving him gifts, including golf clubs, a computer, cash and clothes. During this period, according to the grand jury report, Sandusky allegedly performs oral sex on the boy more than 20 times, and the boy performs oral sex on him once.

2008 -- The boy breaks off contact with Sandusky. Later, his mother calls the high school to report her son had been sexually assaulted and the principal bars Sandusky from campus and reports the incident to police. In grand jury testimony, the principal, Steven Turchetta, recalls Sandusky's behavior as suspicious, and said Sandusky was often "clingy" and "needy" when a student no longer wanted to spend time with him. The ensuing investigation reveals 118 calls from Sandusky's home and cell phone numbers to the boy's home.

November 2008 -- Sandusky informs The Second Mile that he is under investigation, and he is removed from all program activities involving children, according to the group.

September 2010 -- Sandusky retires from The Second Mile, according to the grand jury.

Friday -- The grand jury report is released.

Saturday -- Authorities arrest Sandusky on seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and numerous other charges, including aggravated indecent assault, corruption of minors and endangering the welfare of a child. He is freed on $100,000 unsecured bail. Curley, 57, and Schultz, 62, are each charged with one count of felony perjury and one count of failure to report abuse allegations.

Sunday -- Curley asks for and is granted administrative leave to deal with the charges, while Schultz steps down from his post to retire.

Interesting old article that was dug up. Seemed Paterno's punishment was WAY out of porportion for prank phone calls. Makes sense if the guy was Sandusky and the players knew something.

PSU trio on 'team suspension' - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Less than a week after Joe Paterno had publicly scolded several players who continue to pay the price for a winter incident in which arrows were shot into an on-campus apartment wall, Penn State acknowledged Thursday that three more players are on what is termed "team probation" for making prank telephone calls.
    The three are Dan Connor, a sophomore projected to start at outside linebacker, and reserves Jim Kanuch, a junior former defensive back switched to receiver this spring, and Nolan McCready, a junior safety.

The three reportedly made prank phone calls earlier this year, but no police charges are pending after they apologized to the recipient of the calls.

"They are on team probation right now," said Jeff Nelson, of the Penn State sports information staff. "Coach (Paterno) has to make a determination what exactly that will be; what that will entail.

"This just came to light within the last couple of days. We're still trying to gather information. I would think he will make a decision soon after that."

Paterno has been dogged by indiscretions by his players over the past several years, and had told those involved in the arrow-shooting incident earlier this year that they were at a zero-tolerance point. The three involved in this phone incident have not been identified previously as discipline problems. Kanuch is the nephew of defensive coordinator Tom Bradley.

A source close to the team said the target of the prank calls was a former assistant football coach.

"I can't speak to that," Nelson said.

Similarly, Nelson said he could not confirm whether the trio has been banned from practice because he did not attend the Wednesday or Thursday sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I'll have to find the whole statement from Paterno but he essentially said the GA came over to his house on a Saturday and was clearly shaken by what he had seen but Paterno said he did not hear any of the details.

A few other interesting things...the GA is reported to be McQueary who is currently an assistant coach on PSU's staff. So he saw a little boy being raped, was afraid for his own career/safety/whatever and hightailed it out of there leaving the boy on his own. Then he reports it to Paterno and figures that's good enough. Somewhere along the line, he gets promoted. Fantastic.

Sandusky retained keys to PSU and its facilities as a friend of the program even after all of this went down. He was weight lifting with the team as recently as last week.

Another interesting bit is that one of the boy's moms went to the police with concerns about Sandusky showering with her son. The police apparently hid in her home while she confronted Sandusky who said he knew what he did was wrong and it would never be repeated. For whatever reason, charges weren't immediately pressed. The DA on the case turned up missing sometime later. They found his car and a missing harddrive but can't find him.
    Before going to Paterno the next day, McQueary also called his daddy and Paterno waited yet another day to go to the AD.

And the showering incident, I believe, was investigated by campus police. Which I think is where the perjury charges stem from.

The more I read, the more disgusted I am.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Somewhere I read a comment from Paterno's son where he said Joe Paterno called the AD the very next day. He made a point of saying it was a Sunday, as if they should get points for bothering him on a weekend. It gets worse. There are so many people involved. The one who REALLY needs to be hung by his balls and bitten alive by ants is McQueary for leaving that poor baby to fend for himself. It goes without saying Sandusky needs to be left alone in a room full of violent inmates who have gone decades without fresh meat.

I was reading one of Penn State's football boards today. There was an informal poll in which 1,100 people voted 10:1 saying Paterno should go (either now or at the end of the season). I'm hoping that's more reflective of their fan base than the people posting on that board....all of whom seem to be in PSU's corner.

Below is a PSU fan blog. He makes some interesting points. The most interesting is bolded at the end. My inclination is to say if he favored little boys, he's not going to go after a 22-23 year old but who knows.

PSU fan blog: Something must be said | Monday Morning Quarterback | CentreDaily.com

Lastly, the coach, the beloved icon, the man, the legend Joe Paterno. Ever since I've been coming to games, you've been a hero. THE HERO. PSU football, doing things the right way, with no major NCAA violations – ever. What I wouldn't give, right now, for this to be about a player getting a suit for the draft, or signing with an agent early. But, it's not about something that simple, that benign, that stupid. It's about a heinous crime committed by someone you were close to, for several decades. You said in your statement that you and Sue have devoted yourselves to helping young people reach their potential. You have. You talked the talk, and you walked the walk. Heck, you've enabled generations to do that, and much, much more. You've done it for an entire town and university. Someone need money or have a cause, you'd help out. Spare a million or 4 for a library? Sure. Build a chapel? Yep, done that. Educationally, the "Grand Experiment" fundamentally made the collegiate sporting world sit up and take notice. Your teams brought attention, winning at a dizzying pace. But no love from the polls, and the schedule was mocked (wrongly, of course). But even though you never publicly said you paid attention to that criticism, you obviously did. I was delighted, and proud as punch, to have sat through the glory years of the late 70s through the early 90s. It's mind-boggling now, given the complete joke that college schedules have become. Think about it: Alabama, Notre Dame, A&M, Texas, Pitt (at their height), Nebraska, Miami, USC, BYU, Maryland and N.C. State all populated the schedule at times, all while still playing the usual suspects and taking their best shots every year as well. And then, unparalleled success followed, and all by doing it the right way. It was success with honor, before it became a marketing slogan, and now, sadly, a punch line. You had heretofore when challenged by fate come up aces every time: Rashard Casey, nailed it. Anwar Phillips, got that one, too. Countless other players. You also recognized some bad apples, booting them. (Lavon Chisley comes to mind.) And the undeniable successes: turning around so many lives, whether it's Bobby Engram or Bob White, or seeing boys become men, like Fran Ganter, Bradley, Matt Millen, Todd Blackledge, Curt Warner, Blair Thomas, Shane Conlan, Al Golden, Mark D'Onofrio, etc. We could go on and on, quite literally, since so many of these men decided to put their children's fate in your hands as well. What do you think they are thinking about this morning? Or over the completely lost weekend this has become? Do you think any of them are wondering "I wonder if so-and-so touched my kid?" Some of them likely are wondering that, and it has to be a knife searing into your soul. I know it's been a knife straight through my head. Sure, you can give a statement asking everyone to trust in the system, and we will try. But who are you asking for? Again, the victims seem to be down the list. (At least you mentioned them, though.) But let's be honest here: the PSU football system didn't work for a lot of people in this instance. Why? Here's the answer: Money, power and secrecy. While money has always been down the list of your personal priorities, the other two almost seemed paramount to you. You have had unequaled power in this town, whether you'll admit it or not. Is there anyone else who can essentially ignore the university president and trustees? No. You built an empire and you were master of all that you surveyed. Nothing happened without your approval, without your knowledge. When this happened, you fulfilled your legal obligation, it would appear, and earned a thank you from the Attorney General's Office for testimony. However, as we all know, legal obligations and moral obligations are sometimes different. Given your impeccable moral standing, and good name, why didn't you follow up? Everyone knew Curley was your boss in name only. After a few weeks, why not ask where the heck are the police? Did you ever think to maybe have lunch with Ray Gricar and ask what's up? (Of course, Gricar's subsequent disappearance and the botched investigation raise its own questions.) Surely you have a lawyer that you can confide in. (I'd mention a priest, but the church you belong to has enough of its own problems on this subject.) Then again, you were dealing with a lot in 2002. Your beloved brother, and perhaps most trusted confidant, George Paterno passed away that summer. He might've been a good sounding board. Then again, a sick man probably doesn't want to talk about this. How about Sue? Again, you are probably too chivalrous to even bring up such a nasty subject. Perhaps the only conclusion I can come up with is you didn't follow up because you didn't want to. You were coming off back-to-back losing seasons, and you knew you were loaded for bear in 2002. If something came to light that summer, well, just perhaps PSU football implodes. I can see this very easily. 2002 becomes a huge distraction, and then 2003-4 happen naturally, and 2005 and the subsequent successful run never happen. And you, in your Byzantine (or Machiavellian if you prefer) way, you just let it slide, knowing that you can do greater good in the future by conveniently forgetting about a little boy allegedly getting molested in the Lasch Building, and also any potential future victims of the monster In Happy Valley. The military calls it collateral damage. Is that what you decided?

Of course, none of this will ever actually get answered. PSU will likely circle the wagons and crawl into the Old Main bunker and see if they can wait it out. Since they've been ignoring this problem for going on 17 years, what another couple? The difference, though, can be us. We need to say something, we need to do something, we need to demand action. Does G$pan and those genius trustees think students are going to apply in record number to come to Pedophile State (I can see the T-shirt now)? How about those Wall St. recruiters ranking us No. 1? Think they'll have any second thoughts? How about those parents that are footing the bill?

The money/power/secrecy nexus that exists at PSU must be destroyed, forever. If alleged perjurer Tim Curley and the athletic department want anyone to believe them, it's imperative. Open the books, all of them, to anyone who asks. You are raking in millions upon millions from football alone. If TC is willing to forget this, why wouldn't eyes look the other way when hundreds of millions are involved? If six people at Kansas can run a multimillion dollar ticket scam in BASKETBALL under the nose of the AD, (an arena that seats a fraction of the Big Beav), anything is possible anywhere, especially when you have the closed secret power system at PSU. And this probably isn't the only deep secret being hidden inside the athletics and football offices. Whenever power and money are involved, you know there are plenty of opportunities for trouble to follow. Perhaps we should start with why our starting QB didn't play in the 1999 Alamo Bowl, which ironically was the lead villain's final, triumphant, game, a ride off into the sunset. I'm willing to predict that secret, which isn't really a huge secret, gets revealed in full this week, or very soon.

Am I the only one wondering if the other two are perverts also? I fail to understand how a normal grown man does not go batshit crazy when he first hears of this incident involving the shower. Especially a family man who knows he is raising foster kids right in his very own house.
    This just makes me sick.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Money and PSU football are the answers to your questions McJag. Everyone of these bastards put those two things before the well being of children.

Can't find the original source for this but it's really interesting. This is the bit about the original District Attorney who turned up missing.

Prosecutor Ray Gricar wasn’t one to be intimidated by high-profile cases. He didn’t dabble in politics or enjoy limelight.

Gricar, who went missing in 2005 and declared dead in July, was an introverted man who affiliated himself with few and wasn’t easily swayed by others.

“He was a very kind of private but independent guy,” said Bob Buehner, the Montour County district attorney. “He didn’t belong to a lot of organizations. I would say he was fiercely independent.”

That’s actually been one major roadblock for investigators in his missing-persons case: It’s hard to get inside his head.

The state attorney general’s office says Gricar is the one who made the decision not to prosecute Jerry Sandusky in 1998, when two kids reported that Sandusky washed them during a shower.

Gricar was also the county’s top prosecutor when many of the other inappropriate acts were alleged to have happened. But before the allegations brought by a boy in Clinton County in 2009, the 23-page grand jury presentment says police were only ever notified once: in 1998.

According to those who were present during that investigation, Gricar seemed to be the one who made the decision not to prosecute.

We’ll probably never know why.

Gricar disappeared April 15, 2005, after taking a day off work to drive to Lewisburg. His disappearance has been the subject of a lot of speculation.

His laptop hard drive, which was found dumped in the Susquehanna River near where his car was parked in Lewisburg, was too badly damaged by water to be read.

What information on that computer was destroyed is left to conjecture.

I can't begin to believe that someone would see a grown man performing oral sex on a child and anally raping a child and be concerned about losing their job and therefore, not report it. Seriously. I continue to be disappointed by people.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I've always been inclined to think that Paterno was a stand up guy. I just cannot see why anyone would knowingly cover this up. There is just no way to make this kind of thing go away and will shower shit on anyone even remotely near it.
    Or the entire college football industry will decide it is in their mutual best interest to circle the wagons, protect the sport itself, hide everything they can and let one Penn State AD and a financial officer take the fall while the great sport of football continues on proudly. Penn State will probably be protected by every other university program so that future mothers will remain trusting when send their sons into all absorbing programs, to "help poor kids".

I'd like to see the fans of rival teams really hound the team and coaches on the field. Nasty tee shirts and banners, organized heckling of the coaching staff. Does Penn State ever play Duke? Duke fans are famous for clever harassment.

Penn State needs to lose all it's attraction for good players. The current players should be on the phone to other programs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    Let me this right... it was a mother who busted this out in the open while all the others, men, who kept quiet about it?
    That's about it. Imagine being a single, poor, mother trying to confront a powerful institution like Penn State football and tell them that their sacred program to help "at risk" boys (which gets them so many donations and accolades) is rotten. Who deserves a medal here?

I betcha there were discussions among coaches, trainers and financial officers about complaining mothers who just wanted sacred Penn State money by threatening lawsuits. Nasty jokes were made. Laughs were exchanged. Mothers with young sons were marginalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Below is a PSU fan blog. He makes some interesting points. The most interesting is bolded at the end. My inclination is to say if he favored little boys, he's not going to go after a 22-23 year old but who knows.
    Yeah, Sandusky seems to crave young fatherless boys. But what if the Quarterback knew enough and threatened him? Or the QB refused to play after knowing too much about the Sandusky? I'd love to hear from this guy.

None of Paterno's excuses hold water for me. At every turn, he gave Sandusky more access, more power, more influence. After the accusation by the GA, Paterno hands the investigation over to a Financial Officer???? WTF!!!! If that doesn't sound like a prelude to a pay off (that's been used before), what does?

Thanks-you so much Bella for all the articles. Great research skills there.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Elite Member

This story just kills me. As a parent you worry about unknown creeps and perverts out there who would could hurt your kid. What does it say about our will and our ability to protect our kids when someone like this is caught in the act on multiple occasions, and nothing is done?

One of the saddest things as a parent is realizing that when someone 'likes kids' and wants to spend time with them, it is not always a good thing. I hate feeling like I should automatically distrust people who are ostensibly doing something good.

Ugh. I just can't get this story out of my mind and I want these people to suffer!

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post

That's about it. Imagine being a single, poor, mother trying to confront a powerful institution like Penn State football and tell them that their sacred program to help "at risk" boys (which gets them so many donations and accolades) is rotten. Who deserves a medal here?

I betcha there were discussions among coaches, trainers and financial officers about complaining mothers who just wanted sacred Penn State money by threatening lawsuits. Nasty jokes were made. Laughs were exchanged. Mothers with young sons were marginalized.
    Back up a minute. This was not a Penn State program to help at risk kids. It was a Sandusky program. He used Penn State facilities. That is no different from all the camps and programs my daughter has attended over the years at Penn, Villanova, Bryn Mawr, etc. The camps/programs contract for space at the colleges.

You have no idea what conversations, if any, took place or if anyone was marginalized. So far we know one Mom complained about him showering with her son and it was investigated. The mom chose to accept that it would not happen again and took it no further. Him showering with a boy is a huge red flag and something should have been done then to take a closer look. I agree that there is sooo much wrong with what happened here but I don't find a need to dramatize and create dialogue.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Am hearing via local sports radio (they are receiving tweets from media people at PSU) that Paterno's weekly press conference has been cancelled by the president of the university and there's some weekly college football coaches call that he's also allegedly not taking part in today either. Something's up - hopefully an announcement that Paterno is stepping down.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fgg

^i doubt that. they probably just want to make sure that joepa doesn't say anything out of line. it's rumoured that he has the early stages of alzheimers or dementia.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information