Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Huge sexual abuse scandal (against little boys) coming out of Penn State

A PATRIOT-NEWS STATEMENT: On recent news stories about Jerry Sandusky and Victim One

Published: Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 4:03 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 9:44 PM
    By The Patriot-News

Journalists at a Nov. 7 press conference where Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly and State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan discuss the Jerry Sandusky child sex crimes investigation. CHRISTINE BAKER, The Patriot-News

By DAVID NEWHOUSE

From the very beginning of reporting on the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse story, Patriot-News reporter Sara Ganim knew the identity and many details about the young man known in the grand jury presentment as Victim One.
    It is the policy of The Patriot-News and PennLive not to identify alleged victims of sexual abuse, whether children or adults.

In all of our reporting, we have been extremely careful not to reveal any of those details about Victim One which would help someone make that identification. Instead, through her stories and interviews, Sara Ganim put the focus where it should be - on the alleged crimes, the pain that this young man says he has suffered, and the alarming frustrations he and his mother describe in trying to report it.

But the Sandusky child sex abuse story has showed the difference between truly protecting the identity of a victim and the fiction of protecting the identity of a victim.

In Wednesday's story in The New York Times, for example, a profile entitled "For a Reported Penn State Victim, a Search for Trust," reporters Nate Schweber and Jo Becker write a profile so detailed that, even though they do not name him, googling certain information in the profile results in the young man's name within seconds. The Patriot-News has learned that other news organizations, which did not have the young man's name, have already done so.

Although the Times story has been all over the web, and of course the Times web site draws a huge amount of traffic on its own, we decline to link to it here.

The story quotes his next-door neighbor and names his neighborhood. It describes the detailed circumstances of a car accident which was reported in local papers at the time. It says he liked to wear tie-dyed socks.

None of these details have the slightest to do with why or how the boy was allegedly befriended and then assaulted over several years by Sandusky. They do not serve the story of Jerry Sandusky. They only serve to make an alleged victim of sexual assault easily identifiable.

You could call the anonymity maintained in the story a polite fiction, but there is nothing polite about it.

To be clear, the Times story is not alone. It is just the latest and most prominent example so far of such reporting.

The pledge of most news organizations to withhold the names of sexual assault victims - men and women, children and adults - is not some journalistic game of who can say the most while following some arbitrary rule. Most media have adopted it because, tragically, reporting sexual assaults still carries a stigma. It is no accident that Victim One was only the second boy to come forward to authorities in what is alleged to have been more than 15 years of assaults by Sandusky. Stories like these, if anything, could discourage future victims from speaking up.

Victim One told the grand jury that he had been victimized by Jerry Sandusky. Now one could argue that he is being victimized again - this time, by frenzied news media who essentially name the victim in the pursuit of salacious details, all done in the name of anonymity.
    A PATRIOT-NEWS STATEMENT: On recent news stories about Jerry Sandusky and Victim One | PennLive.com

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Sick and sad. No wonder victims do not want to come foreward.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The victims' truth brought out a whole lot of ugly. A whole lot!
    Lynch all the fukkers into hell. Sandusky first in line of course.

I heard on the news mrs. Sandusky wasn't kicked out of the pool, it was closed for maintenance over the thanksgiving holiday.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

^^ I thought it was Mrs Paterno who was asked to leave the pool?

Front page story on Thanksgiving Day in the Phila Inquirer - the victims may be limited in suing because a statute of limitations. That sucks!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post

trouble is... the Dad didn't a thing about it!

Not a soul will ever convince me that Turchetta or that Principal had that student's best interest at heart. They wanted to protect Sandusky and their school. They didn't want to notify the police but they had no trouble identifying the VICTIM to parents/grandparents and anyone else who would've been at that meeting. That, naturally resulted in him being victimized AGAIN, it resulted in his mother being harassed at the fucking grocery store by someone's GRANDMA! The only person affiliated with that school who came close to doing the right thing was the counselor. As the mother of a 13 year old boy, I can't even imagine what I would've done to that grandma, that principal, the assistant principal/coach... this story literally makes me fucking sick. I say send Sandusky down to Texas for a trial - afterall, he brought one of his victims here to molest during the Alamo Bowl. He'd be lucky to NOT get the death penalty.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

What Mel said.

Elite Member

I read that Sandusky and his lawyer are conducting their own "investigation." I guess that means more smearing of victims. The depth of his denial is pretty staggering. I guess that's how he managed to keep doing what he was doing while acting as though he was helping kids. Some help. Someone oughta help him off a cliff.

Yeah Mel, I was telling someone over the weekend that if PA can't get the job done, Texas will pick up the slack. That's a comfort at least.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yeah Mel, I was telling someone over the weekend that if PA can't get the job done, Texas will pick up the slack. That's a comfort at least.
    Fuckin' A. And you better believe if they bring charges, Sandusky won't be out walking around on bail.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the shit storm also happening at Syracuse University involving the Assistant Basketball Coach. Really sickening..all of it.

I just don't know WHAT to think or believe anymore.....its just so damn sad.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    I'm sure most of you have heard about the shit storm also happening at Syracuse University involving the Assistant Basketball Coach. Really sickening..all of it.

I just don't know WHAT to think or believe anymore.....its just so damn sad.

Yeah. I was reading the long article on cnn yesterday. And his wife knew and did nothing. Sickening.

She had sex with the kid too. Crazy.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information