Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Huge sexual abuse scandal (against little boys) coming out of Penn State

So Sandusky was recruiting players for PSU as recently as this spring. Pretty sure that's a recruiting violation since Sandusky wasn't on staff and they can only have so many coaches. Maybe this will be the thing that brings the NCAA into it.

WYFF4.com

updated 11/10/2011 9:15:34 PM ET
    Print
    Font:

GREER, S.C. — WYFF 4.com

The Penn State fallout is having a trickle-down effect on high school football recruiting.

Adam Ah Ching, a senior linebacker at Greer High School, told WYFF News 4’s Kim Quintero that he’s played football since he was 6 and has his sights set on playing college ball.

“When you're Polynesian, growing up, football is No. 1 in your life,” said Ah Ching.

Ranked last year by ESPNU as the 26th linebacker prospect in the country, Ah Ching said he was paid a visit by Penn State's former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.

“He came to my last spring game going into my senior season. He liked how I moved, laterally, and how gifted I am,” said Ah Ching.

But days after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing young boys, leading to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier, Ah Ching scratched Penn State off his list of where he'd continue his football career.

Advertise | AdChoices

“It's very devastating to have a top-tiered program and have them drop like that,” said Ah Ching. “That really did play a big impact on where I wanted to go.”

Otto Ah Ching, Adam’s dad, supports his decision.

“Do you want to be associated with the mess that's still going to come down the road here?” said Otto Ah Ching.

Ah Ching says other young football players like himself feel the same.

“All these recruits are decommiting because of that,” said Ah Ching. “It’s sad, depressing and devastating.”

Ah Ching said he hasn't decided on which college he'll continue his football career with.

I don't know Bella. I have a friend who played a sport at Cornell. He does not work for Cornell but does recruting for them for the sport and it is an NCAA sanctioned sport.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Cornell is the old Division IAA (now FCS). Looks like they get a couple extra coaches. As far as I know, you must be on the coaching staff to recruit players. I wouldn't bet my life savings on it but I'd be $100.

NCAA rules specify how many types of coaches are allowed in a football program

How many college football coaches does it take to run a team? There are rules about that.

The NCAA spells out how many coaches and what types of coaches a football team may employ in Article 11 of its rulebook. Following is the exact language from the NCAA manual.

NCAA Article 11: Conduct and Employment of Athletics Personnel:

11.7.2 Football Bowl Subdivision - There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.

11.7.2.1 Exceptions to Number Limits FBS - No individual other than coaches designated to fill the coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.2 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the following exceptions:

11.7.2.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach FBS - A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.

11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FBS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.

11.7.3 Championship Subdivision Football - There shall be a limit of 11 coaches of any type who may be employed by an institution in championship subdivision football.

11.7.3.1 Exceptions to Number Limits FCS - No individual other than coaches designated to fill the coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.3 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the following exceptions:

11.7.3.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach FCS - A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.

11.7.3.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FCS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.

11.7.3.1.3 Varsity/Freshman Team Football Program FCS - An institution that conducts a championship subdivision football program that includes a varsity team and a freshman team may employ two additional coaches. Freshman eligibility for varsity team participation must be prohibited by the institution and the freshman team must participate in five or more intercollegiate contests in order for the two additional coaches to be employed. Such additional coaches may perform football-related duties only during the permissible playing and practice season in football.

11.7.3.1.4 Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Team Football Program FCS - An institution that conducts a championship subdivision football program that includes a varsity team, a junior varsity team and a freshman team may employ four additional coaches. Freshman eligibility for varsity or junior varsity team participation must be prohibited by the institution, the junior varsity team must participate in at least four intercollegiate contests and the freshman team must participate in at least five intercollegiate contests in order for the four additional coaches to be employed. Such additional coaches may perform football-related duties only during the permissible playing and practice season in football.

11.7.3.1.5 Varsity/Junior Varsity Football Program FCS - An institution that conducts a championship subdivision football program that includes a varsity team and a junior varsity team may employ two additional coaches. The institution's junior varsity team must participate in at least four intercollegiate contests in order for the two additional coaches to be employed. Such additional coaches may perform football-related duties only during the permissible playing and practice season in football.

I was listening to one of the guys on ESPN and he was mentioning how big this McQuery guy is and how much smaller Sandusky is. He could have physically overpowered him to stop this rape, but he didn't. He was a grown, 28 year old man and he really did nothing when you think about it. The ESPN guy went on to say that if you witnessed a woman being raped in the bathroom of your office, would you go home, talk to your mom (dad, spouse, friend) for advice and sleep on it? Then go into the office and tell your boss? No!! You would call the police, immediately and possibly try to stop the rape yourself.

Tonight, Bill maher was saying how this seems to happen in places where women aren't present. Football, the Vatican, Scouts, etc.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Yeah, every "man" for himself.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Yeah, every "man" for himself.
    Posted from my iPhone
    And God help the boys.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I was listening to one of the guys on ESPN and he was mentioning how big this McQuery guy is and how much smaller Sandusky is. He could have physically overpowered him to stop this rape, but he didn't. He was a grown, 28 year old man and he really did nothing when you think about it. The ESPN guy went on to say that if you witnessed a woman being raped in the bathroom of your office, would you go home, talk to your mom (dad, spouse, friend) for advice and sleep on it? Then go into the office and tell your boss? No!! You would call the police, immediately and possibly try to stop the rape yourself.

Tonight, Bill maher was saying how this seems to happen in places where women aren't present. Football, the Vatican, Scouts, etc.
    I wonder how close McQueary and his father are to Sandusky? (I don't mean close in a creepy way.) I am not excusing McQ for a minute, but I'm thinking if he knew Sandusky well that it factored into his decision-making, in a bad way.

That article that was linked to previously--about how something like this can happen in a hierarchical male-dominated structure--made a certain amount of sense. I just HATE the way these boys were considered so expendable. It is like no one even thought about them.

I really hope all this makes people think about what they would do if they were a similar situation.

Penn State's game today might prove to be interesting - I hope to God nothing happens there.

I still think we'll hear a lot more about this. What's Second Mile's response/responsibility in all this? What was covered up by the campus police/local police/state police? Who are these "wealthy patrons" that these kids were allegedly pimped out to? The lawsuits, the lawsuits.

"Today Show" had an interview with one of the former Second Mile kids this morning, not one who was subjected to sex with this assclown. The kid said that every car ride had Sandusky's hand on this kid's thigh, there were bear hugs from behind, just inappropriate touching. The kid knew it was wrong, he was extremely uncomfortable being around the guy. Ugh. Makes me wonder if there were any threats to the kids to the effect "you either do this or you're back out on the streets".
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I wonder how close McQueary and his father are to Sandusky? (I don't mean close in a creepy way.) I am not excusing McQ for a minute, but I'm thinking if he knew Sandusky well that it factored into his decision-making, in a bad way.
    It's been reported that te McQueary's knew and were friends with Sandusky, but I don't know how well or even how accurate that is.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Elite Member

I'm beginning to think that the more adamant the the all-male group is about keeping women out, the greater the potential for corruption.

I don't think the Penn State hierarchy would have behaved any differently if the scandal here involved little girls rather than little boys. They would have covered for the coaches in any case. But who lets their daughters go hang out with a big powerful sporting coach and spend the night? What school would allow a coach to take a young girl out of school without direct permission from the mother?

Yes, there are individual mothers who sell out their daughters (like the mother of Roman Polanski's victim) but the whole damn system was complicit in the rape of these boys without a single soul standing up to protect them. That's what makes it so ghastly.

Must say, this whole thing has been an eye opener. We have to start being more careful in how we choose to "toughen up" our sons, get some mothers in the locker rooms, don't just turn our boys over to authority figures who promise to turn them into men. Too bad if it compromises a great sport or religion.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post

Must say, this whole thing has been an eye opener. We have to start being more careful in how we choose to "toughen up" our sons, get some mothers in the locker rooms, don't just turn our boys over to authority figures who promise to turn them into men. Too bad if it compromises a great sport or religion.
    Sandusky preyed on disadvantaged/at risk kids, many of whom probably don't have fathers in their lives (and he might have selectively targeted those who did not). For a single mother with a kid who is acting out, his attention must have seemed like a god send.

I remember reading about the Catholic child sexual abuse cases here in Boston--at least one of the priests targeted boys without fathers, and it was considered such an honor to have the priest paying so much attention to the family.

The second mile program itself might be really excellent and probably has helped a lot of kids. But failing to keep the kids safe kind of makes the rest meaningless.

It is still weird to me that people think that being good at football automatically makes someone a good person. I understand that there is something to be said for the work ethic, trying hard, teamishness, etc., but still.

McQuery has a lot to answer for. And his Dad. You have to wonder about the time gap-he saw it happen. He was no doubt shocked. He calls his Dad and they must have hashed this over for hours. No doubt dear ol' Dad saw this as an opportunity for Junior. And it worked, for years.
    Why else the time delay for even reporting it to the coach ? Instead of worrying about an assulted child they were more focused on McQueys future.
    He did do the right thing in front of the Grand Jury. He didn't try to sugarcoat it or pull any punches like the other two. But the time lapse is just too great to forgive. Who knows how many boys suffered? There are no doubt some boys who will never come forward. The number will be far greater than 8 or 9,IMO.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    It's been reported that te McQueary's knew and were friends with Sandusky, but I don't know how well or even how accurate that is.
    I heard that McQueary was EXTREMELY close to Sandusky and his family. Not in THAT way, but had basically grown up w/him in his life--and was good friends w/Sandusky's kids, wife, etc.

Can you imagine being the wife and kids of Sandusky right now? Wow....

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    McQuery has a lot to answer for. And his Dad. You have to wonder about the time gap-he saw it happen. He was no doubt shocked. He calls his Dad and they must have hashed this over for hours. No doubt dear ol' Dad saw this as an opportunity for Junior. And it worked, for years.
    Why else the time delay for even reporting it to the coach ? Instead of worrying about an assulted child they were more focused on McQueys future.
    He did do the right thing in front of the Grand Jury. He didn't try to sugarcoat it or pull any punches like the other two. But the time lapse is just too great to forgive. Who knows how many boys suffered? There are no doubt some boys who will never come forward. The number will be far greater than 8 or 9,IMO.
    You are so right McJag. There are many more victims out there. He started his charity in the late 1970s. Pedophiles routinely set themselves up with a way to get to children (such as a charity). They will make it seem like they are some sort of hero. Meanwhile, they find kids who will make perfect targets. Single parents with at risk kids who they can start to groom. The victims may not all come forward but I hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    You are so right McJag. There are many more victims out there. He started his charity in the late 1970s. Pedophiles routinely set themselves up with a way to get to children (such as a charity). They will make it seem like they are some sort of hero. Meanwhile, they find kids who will make perfect targets. Single parents with at risk kids who they can start to groom. The victims may not all come forward but I hope they do.
    Exactly. He picked at risk kids because he thought no one would care or listen to them or believe them if they told. No father figures preset, probably just a single working mom. He's a disgusting predator.

Thread Information