Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How China Trains Its Children To Win Gold In Olympic Games

Chinese training is incredibly extreme, but stretching kids to the point of tears isn't that big of a deal IMO. When I was young plenty of the kids in my group cried while being stretched. Because it hurts! And when you're a kid, you cry when things hurt. You get over it. But you have to get them flexible when they're young otherwise they never will be. Americans don't do that and you can see it in their gymnastics.

The scary thing IMO is that these kids have little choice in whether they want to continue or even do the sport in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Someone on local sports radio this morning said that nobody told one of their female swimmers about the death of her grandparents because it might break her concentration to win gold. They died a year ago.
    I saw that. They also neglected to tell the same girl that her mother has been battling breast cancer.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    Chinese training is incredibly extreme, but stretching kids to the point of tears isn't that big of a deal IMO. When I was young plenty of the kids in my group cried while being stretched. Because it hurts! And when you're a kid, you cry when things hurt. You get over it. But you have to get them flexible when they're young otherwise they never will be. Americans don't do that and you can see it in their gymnastics.

The scary thing IMO is that these kids have little choice in whether they want to continue or even do the sport in the first place.
    but the americans won the team gold, and the all around individual gold in women's gymnastics, so i don't understand your point. training (without making children cry) seems to work just as well, if not better, than training and torturing kids.

China is so fucked up. I feel really sorry for their athletes and their citizens in general.
    That's all I'm going to say coz stories like this make me angry.

Yes, the Americans did win team and all around gold, and yes they are amazing but there's no denying that the aesthetics of the Russians, for example, are better.

My point was that there are much crazier things about the Chinese training system than kids crying while being stretched, which isn't that scary IMO. Like not being able to just up and quit when you want to because you have the burden of a whole country depending on you. Or not being told that a relative of yours died a year ago because it might make you lose your focus in training. Stuff like that should be the focus of the article, not sensationalistic pictures of little kids crying with captions that mention "ruthless" training methods. Any training centre will have kids crying in it on any given day; besides, out of 19 photos, only 3 have kids crying in them. In the rest of them the kids look fine or even happy.

An article that actually described their living conditions or the pressure placed upon them would have more more of an impact. This is just lazy reporting IMO.

A photo of a coach standing on top of some toddler's legs isn't ruthless enough for you?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I've had it done to me plenty of times. I've had people sit on me, stand on me, pull my legs to the point where I've cried. I'm not emotionally damaged from it. He's pressing down on her legs, not standing on them with his full weight. The point is to increase her extension, not break her legs, what good would that do? Getting to the Olympics in plenty of sports involves tons of pain, crying, and absurdly difficult workouts from a young age. Do you really think that Gabby Douglas never cried from pain or exhaustion when she was in the gym? She nearly quit the sport back in December. She's one of the lucky ones for whom it all worked out in the end. It's a tough, tough thing.

Again, I'm *not* saying the Chinese system isn't ruthless. It is. I just think this particular article is light on substance and high on sensationalism.

I was an elite gymnast, with junior national ranking in the early 80's. Never had a coach stand on my legs like that.

Crying from pain from injury or overwork and exhaustion in practice isn't the same as what goes on in the Chinese sport system.
    Brookie and dexter7 like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    I've had it done to me plenty of times. I've had people sit on me, stand on me, pull my legs to the point where I've cried. I'm not emotionally damaged from it.
    Then maybe you just got lucky. Unless these photos were staged, I call what I see abuse.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I was an elite gymnast, with junior national ranking in the early 80's. Never had a coach stand on my legs like that.

Crying from pain from injury or overwork and exhaustion in practice isn't the same as what goes on in the Chinese sport system.
    You could have been a medalist if only an adult had cared enough to stand on top of you until your ligaments damn near severed, and tears shot out of your eyes like water from the Three Gorges Dam.
    dexter7 and Butterfly like this.

I just think I'm not explaining myself well, sorry about that. The Chinese system is fucked up and in no way am I trying to justify it. I think the article is shoddy.

I remember when I read The Second Mark, which detailed the training conditions of the Chinese figure skating pair team Shen and Zhao it was shocking. But it talked about their living quarters, how regimented their lives are, what the Chinese government expected from them. It really gave you a sense of life under the Chinese regime and it was scary. This article just seems like someone snapped up a couple of photos of kids and wrote some filler to go with it.

Ugh I don't know. Pay me no mind, I'm sleep deprived and I'm critical of the media in general today.

I'm hanging my kids by their digits right now so that their fingers will be nice and nimble like the Chinese grandmasters!!!

ETA: I'm a little stressed/tired , too. Two big bids to work on before I go on 10-day vacation.....
    MsChiff likes this.

My 15 month old toddler screamed like a banshee today when I brushed his teeth while his father held him down. I get what Rusalka is saying, kids cry but they will get over it. I wouldn't put my son to a training camp to be tramped on but damn it I will brush his teeth no matter how much he will scream and cry.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

The two aren't remotely comparable. Unlike what's happening to these children, brushing a child's teeth doesn't cause them pain.
    dexter7 likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

I get what Rusalka is saying. Did Sascha Cohen get those picture perfect lay backs and spirals by having gentle training? No, her parents were Russian gymnasts who wanted her to be also. They had to work her little body over, as a child, to get that flexibility. It got her very far, with her unique style, in skating.

A lot of what young ballet dancers go through is sheer torture. Their hips, knees and feet are gradually deformed for aesthetic purposes. It hurts. Kids cry.

I'm happy to see that China has been privately reprimanded for sending under-aged gymnasts into competition. We didn't see the toddlers entered from China this year, did we.

Rusalka is also right about the USA women in that they aren't as flexible, they are often lop-sided and their extension isn't very good. It didn't matter this year because Gabby was brilliant (and the sport has changed) but it's true nonetheless.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information