Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hockey player Richard Zednik's neck severely cut by skate blade

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    So are you insinuating we are retarded, violent, or both?
    Yes.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Kumquat.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    Terrible but not nearly as bad as the Clint Malarchuk injury...I remember seeing that live as a kid and it f'd me up!
    Holy sh*t, you're right! I just watched it on YouTube. It's a lot worse, you can actually see squirting and gushing. How horrific it must have been to see that at the time it happened, when you didn't know whether he'd survive!

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yes.
    Eh?
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

This is my favorite hockey video, some 9yo hockey freak of nature from Texas.

9-Year-Old Hockey Prodigy - CollegeHumor video
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Terrible but not nearly as bad as the Clint Malarchuk injury...I remember seeing that live as a kid and it f'd me up!
    He had anxiety for a long time related to that. Even when he heard about what happened to Zednik he said to journalists that he had a very bad day.

Malarchuk recalls horror

CALGARY -- He was back on the ice six games and 300 stitches later, determined to forget the skate-blade slash that opened his throat and nearly ended his life.

And forget Clint Malarchuk did -- for 18 years, 11 months and 20 days -- until another NHL player was left bleeding and near death from a gash to the neck, once again from a teammate's razor-sharp skate, once again in Buffalo, New York.

"I'm very emotional today -- I feel a lot of bad memories flowing back to me," said Malarchuk.

"I thought I'd dealt with this sh..., sorry, I mean stuff. I guess it was all still inside, in my brain, somewhere."

There's been scores of interviews since that fateful on-ice collision in 1989, when the image of Malarchuk holding his throat was broadcast to thousands of fans, the goalie's blood dribbling onto the ice like water from a tap.

It became the defining moment in the talented Calgarian's 11-year NHL career, and Malarchuk thought two decades in the media spotlight had numbed him -- his only scar the one visible on his neck.
    And then it happened again, on Sunday night, to Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik.

It was a different Buffalo Sabres arena from the one where Malarchuk nearly bled to death, but otherwise, it was a scene of hockey horror replayed.

Zednik's carotid artery was severed after a teammate caught him in the throat with a skate blade during a fall.

He was rushed to Buffalo General Hospital for emergency surgery, having lost a life-threatening amount of blood, and is in stable condition.

Malarchuk famously skated off the ice following his grisly accident, team trainer Jim Pizzutelli pinching the jugular vein closed in a quick-thinking move credited with saving the goalie's life.

Now a goalie coach with the Columbus Blue Jackets, Malarchuk said he's struggling with Zednik's injury in a way he didn't with his own, back when his determination to play again meant burying his emotions.

"Back then, I just wanted to come back," said Malarchuk.
    "Now, there are team psychologists and sports psychologists who can speak with him, and if I was Richard's GM or head coach, I'd have one on the next flight."

When he heard about Zednik's injury, Malarchuk immediately contacted the Panther organization to offer his support, and to pass on his phone number in case Zednik wants someone to talk to, someone who understands like no one else.

"There's nothing anybody can say to make this go away," Malarchuk said.
    "But I'd tell him he should get back as quick as he can -- I've extended my phone number in case I can help."

winnipegsun.com - Hockey - Malarchuk recalls horror
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Holy sh*t, you're right! I just watched it on YouTube. It's a lot worse, you can actually see squirting and gushing. How horrific it must have been to see that at the time it happened, when you didn't know whether he'd survive!
    I saw it on television thank god I wasn't there but it still scarred me forever...for those of you haven't watched it...here you go. I hope that you have a strong stomach!

YouTube - Clint Malarchuk Neck Injury Full Video- 3 of 3
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

I saw it on television thank god I wasn't there but it still scarred me forever...for those of you haven't watched it...here you go. I hope that you have a strong stomach!

YouTube - Clint Malarchuk Neck Injury Full Video- 3 of 3
    I just watched it again, it had been a while since I'd seen it. It's so horrible. When I took my CPR courses they talked to us about Malarchuk and told us what to do in this type of injury. Like I mentioned in an earlier post you have to grab the artery with your fingers and pinch it so no more blood will spurt out. That's how the medic saved Malarchuk life and I would assume the doctor who went down on the ice did the same for Zednik.

I just saw a brief clip of the blood gushing onto the ice and I nearly hurled, that is so horrible. If I was there in the crowd I would have gagged for sure.

I'm wondering if they should start carrying some of that 'quick clot' stuff that is supposed to be good for situations like these where arteries/veins are severed and emergency situations.

QuikClot® adsorbent hemostatic agent speeds coagulation & rapidly stops blood loss .: Z-Medica Corporation

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

I remember watching the Malarchuk injury on TV when it happened. I cannot believe he survived and Zednik as well. They were really lucky that they and the medical staff kept calm, it saved their lives.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i am very athletic, but i absolutely hate hockey. hate it.
    That's okay, I love hockey enough to make up for your hate.

Good news, Richard Zednik's condition has been upgraded from stable to good and is out of the intensive care unit. (He lost five pints of blood after having his carotid artery nearly severed. The attending surgeon, said the artery was not completely severed, but was "hanging by a thread.")

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I go to hockey games in Houston all the time... wow this stuff is insane. Last week some guys stick broke on the ice and he was skating around playing tackle hockey and the freaking goaleeeeee(sp?) dove at another player and knocked him down... an insanely violent sport... taking off their gloves and punching eachother... they sort of look like a bunch of drunks because they're on skates.
    I went to one game in Houston and I couldn't believe the poor quality of the sport. (Too many fights and not enough skill. And scantilly-clad cheeleaders? No, not necessary in my opinion.) I'll take college hockey or high school hockey over the AHL any day.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I just saw a brief clip of the blood gushing onto the ice and I nearly hurled, that is so horrible. If I was there in the crowd I would have gagged for sure.

I'm wondering if they should start carrying some of that 'quick clot' stuff that is supposed to be good for situations like these where arteries/veins are severed and emergency situations.

QuikClot® adsorbent hemostatic agent speeds coagulation & rapidly stops blood loss .: Z-Medica Corporation
    I don't think that they would do any good. Because you can't stop an artery from pumping blood except if you pinch it. This may work for less dramatic injury. But the type of injury sustained here can kill you in a minute or 2 if nothing is done right away.

Holy shit!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

A*O

Yeah - if you have a gushing artery there's only one thing you can do and that's pinch it closed (if you can) and get to the ER stat. I've seen a few hockey games (go Flames!) and there's a lot of pushing and shoving and a few teeth go flying but I'm guessing these really serious injuries are rare?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information