Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Haters Need to Shut the Hell Up About Gabby Douglas’ Hair

Elite Member

I'm white, maybe this is why I don't see anything wrong with her hair?

How anyone could watch her and focus on her hair is beyond me, I was watching her early on wondering why everyone was making her seem like a background player, I expect to continue to see great things from her!

Gabby's face, her eyes, and her smile are gorgeous. Her hair is perfect for athletic competition. I will never forget Shannon Miller's gigantic white scrunchies in 96. At least Kayla's scrunchies weren't white and huge.

I made a status about this the other day on FB.. this bitch and her followers have nothing better going on for themselves than to worry about her hair!!

Black people kill me: Her hair was fine! It was done for regulation/competition, not for your approval! She is an athlete and this is her sport!! She cannot ans will not have hair in her face while she is flipping, twisting, flying, and creating magic in the air!!
    I'm sorry her hair wasn't done enough for you..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Now they are asking Gabby about her Mom's bankruptcy. Good Lord! Why would a 16 year old be asked about her parents finances?? That is bullshit!!! These reporters need strung up! Leave her be so she can focus on her last event.
    Last edited by JadeStar70; August 7th, 2012 at 09:02 AM.

At least she doesn't have those bald spots behind her ears like McKayla
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Her hair and her parent's finances, wow what a bunch of assholes.
    McJag likes this.

Gabby Douglas' Mom Slams Criticism Over Daughter's Hair

Celebrity Beauty
    August 7, 2012 AT 2:15PM
    By Ariana Finlayson

Gabrielle Douglas poses on the podium with her gold medal after winning the artistic gymnastics women's individual all-around final on August 2, 2012 during the London 2012 Olympic Games.
    Credit: Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty

Although she has won two gold medals, Gabby Douglas is making headlines for more than her Olympic victories in London -- with some critics slamming the 16-year-old's hair for its appearance and supposed failure to "represent" the African American community.

Douglas' mother, Natalie Hawkins, quickly slipped into mama bear mode to defend her daughter -- and her spunky ponytail.

"How ignorant is it of people to comment on her hair and she still has more competitions to go?" Hawkins fumed to Fashionista.com on Monday. "Are you TRYING to ruin her self confidence?"

Gabrielle Douglas performing on the floor during the artistic gymnastics women's individual all-around on August 2, 2012 during the London 2012 Olympic Games.
    Credit: Thomas Coex/AFP/Getty

Douglas' chemically-straightened hair, pulled into a ponytail with barrettes and gel, matches the coifs of her four Caucasian "Fab Five" teammates Aly Raisman, Mckayla Maroney, Kyla Ross and Jordyn Wieber. Since gymnastics involves flying through the air, strands are bound to fall out of place. But it's not just the style that is under fire -- it's the fact that the 4-foot-11 teen is an African American rocking straightened -- not natural -- hair.

"It's really been African American women that have come out and attacked her," claimed Hawkins of the tweeters who criticized Douglas. "They don't know about gymnastics. She has to keep her hair in a ponytail 28 to 30 hours a week. We grew her hair out because she preferred long hair."

"I'm not going to make her cut her hair just to please someone else," Hawkins added of women who want to see Douglas with unprocessed hair in the form of braids, an afro or kinky curls.

Gabrielle Douglas competes on the uneven bars in the Artistic Gymnastics Women's Individual All-Around final on August 2, 2012 during the London 2012 Olympic Games.
    Credit: Ronald Martinez/Getty

Together, Douglas and her mom are approaching the hair controversy with a sense of humor. "She said, 'Really?! I won two gold medals and made history and my hair is trending?' So we laughed about it," Hawkins recounted.

Hawkins isn't the only woman rushing to her daughter's defense. Actress Gabrielle Union shared her thoughts via Twitter.

"Gabrielle Douglas is a winner I am proud of her. She is beautiful exactly the way she is. She's #Gabulous. #byehaters," Union, 39, posted on Sunday days after Douglas took home the gold for the Women's All-Around finals, becoming the first African-American woman ever to accomplish the feat. "Anyone who insults a TEEN who's accomplished so much while displaying grace and dignity is beyond lame and should be ashamed of themselves. #byehaters."
    Read more: Gabby Douglas' Mom Slams Criticism Over Daughter's Hair - UsMagazine.com
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Well, she has two olympic gold medals and these Twitter bitches have nothing, so they can suck it.

I have nothing to add; y'all have pretty much summed it up. I am, however, more shocked that black folks are the ones dogging her. I grew up in the 70s when afros and cornrows were a symbol of pride. We'll never outgrow this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

It pisses me off that mainstream news stations are even reporting on this story--giving a voice to this ignorant, racist bs.

fgg

Gabby Douglas Gets a Hair Makeover from Star Stylist Ted Gibson!

When Gabby Douglas caused a stir not for her Olympic medal wins in London but for the appearance of her hair, she dismissed it with the maturity of someone twice her 16 years of age. Meanwhile, her team swooped into action and enlisted one of the most talented scissor-wielding pros in Hollywood: Ted Gibson.

"I couldn't believe it and still can't," Gibson, who has worked on the tresses of Anne Hathaway, Angelina Jolie, Kate Gosselin and Ashley Greene, told The Daily Beast on Wednesday about the criticism Douglas received over her slicked-back ponytail. "You have this young girl doing amazing things, and the conversation becomes about her hair? It was ridiculous and shameful."

Earlier this month, the pint-sized Team USA gymnast, who's the first African American female to win the All-Around gold, shed some light on the trivial, tress-related matter. "They have no idea what they're talking about," she told Us Weekly. "We rotate from event to event so there's no time for them to say 'Representing the USA, Gabrielle Douglas' and me to say 'Yeah, thanks!' as I'm brushing my hair. It's so disrespectful! I'm not thinking about that. I'm thinking about bringing a gold medal home."

So on Tuesday, Gibson, who also lends his talents on What Not to Wear, worked his mane magic on the Virginia Beach native and gave her a hair makeover that the teen couldn't stop gushing about: frizz-free, center-parted waves that fall a few inches below her shoulders.

"Ted Gibson Is AWESOME!!! LOVE HIM SOO MUCH!!!" the 4-foot-11 tweeted on Tuesday. "A special thank you to my Gold Medal Celebrity Hair Stylist!"

Gibson shared Douglas' electrifying energy by responding, "It's 3am, just left Ted Gibson NYC. Love you [Gabrielle Douglas]. What an amazing young lady you are. #award winner #gibsongirlsruletheworld."

And even though the 2012 London Olympics have wrapped for Douglas and her Fierce Five teammates -- Aly Raisman, Jordyn Wieber, Kyla Ross and Mckayla Maroney -- the wild ride has really just begun.

"I'm excited because she's so young and I have a chance for input in the brand of Gabby," the hair pro mused to The Daily Beast. "There are so many opportunities for someone like her to shine, and I get to be part of that on the ground floor. It's pretty cool."

Gabby Douglas Gets a Hair Makeover from Star Stylist Ted Gibson! - UsMagazine.com

pic at the link
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hair makeover? She is just wearing it down. A makeover would be a styled cut and color. They are stupid.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information