Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gymnastics - Uneven Bars developments 1950 - 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    The ones from the 50 - 70s where they catch the bar with their hips to spin looks like it would hurt.
    Is that illegal now? I have never seen anyone do it, and never new it exsited until I saw a video of Nadia's perfect 10.

Those ladies back in the day were troopers. No wrist guards, and their transitions and moves seemed more difficult. They did things I've never seen before. Bravo for posting this!
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    A lot of the old routines seem so much more varied and interesting to watch. They seem to spend so much more time on the high bar now.

I don't think I've seen pre-80s gymnastics before and I agree that the routines are more varied and interesting. I'm also a bit fascinated by the fact that 1950s-70s gymnasts included women who looked like they ate the occasional cheeseburger and were over 30 year of age?! Nowadays it feels like they're all tiny little pre-adolescents whose routines are lacking in art/grace and are designed to produce the highest tumbling run.

BTW I think that's why the uneven bars have been distanced so much apart - to facilitate visually (crowd pleasing) high impact aerial somersaults. The gymnasts catch a lot more air now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    I don't think I've seen pre-80s gymnastics before and I agree that the routines are more varied and interesting. I'm also a bit fascinated by the fact that 1950s-70s gymnasts included women who looked like they ate the occasional cheeseburger and were over 30 year of age?! Nowadays it feels like they're all tiny little pre-adolescents whose routines are lacking in art/grace and are designed to produce the highest tumbling run.

BTW I think that's why the uneven bars have been distanced so much apart - to facilitate visually (crowd pleasing) high impact aerial somersaults. The gymnasts catch a lot more air now.

I noticed that too. I wonder which country made the change first. It's all about height now. Hardly artistic ability now. They pretty much do the same exact thing, just in a different order.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

olga korbut was the first 'childlike' gymnast, at munich in 72. but it was romania who brought it into full change at montreal with nadia, theodora ungureanu, mariana constantine, and georgeta gabor all being under 15. they were the first 'girl' gymnasts

the bars skills haven't changed to accommodate crowds, they've changed to accommodate the code of points.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information