Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf Channel anchor says young golfers should 'lynch Tiger Woods'

Woods' agent: Lynch comment a 'non-issue'
    FOXSports.com

Updated: January 9, 2008, 3:57 PM EST

Tiger Woods has a message for the television commentator who used the word 'lynch' in the same sentence as his influential name: No hard feelings.
    According to an Agence France-Presse report, Woods' agent said the world's top golfer saw no insult in an on-air statement by Golf Channel commentator Kelly Tilghman that any contender trying to beat him might have to "lynch him in a back alley."

Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent, issued a statement saying the resulting uproar from the comments was not a huge concern.

"This story is a non-issue," Steinberg said, according to AFP. "Tiger and Kelly are friends and Tiger has a great deal of respect for Kelly. Regardless of the choice of words used we know unequivocally that there was no ill-intent in her comments."

Tilghman, realizing her faux pas, explained her comments during the final-round broadcast of the PGA Tour's Mercedes-Benz Championship on Sunday despite the possibility she could have swept the incident under the mat.

"I've reached out to Tiger to make an apology, and I've done the same with our viewers," Tilghman said.

"I can assure you that there was never any intention to offend anyone. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding."

Golfweek contributed to this report.

FOX Sports on MSN - Golf - Woods' agent: Lynch comment a 'non-issue'

© 2008 Fox Sports Interactive
    ************************************************** **************************

Anchor suspended two weeks
    Golf Channel bans Tilghman for 'lynch Tiger' remark
    Posted: Wednesday January 9, 2008 8:33PM; Updated: Wednesday January 9, 2008 8:33PM
    HONOLULU (AP) -- Golf Channel suspended anchor Kelly Tilghman for two weeks on Wednesday for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Tiger Woods should "lynch him in a back alley."

Tilghman was laughing during the exchange Friday with analyst Nick Faldo at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, and Woods' agent at IMG said he didn't think there was any ill intent.

But the comments became prevalent on news shows Wednesday, and the Rev. Al Sharpton joined the fray by demanding she be fired immediately. Golf Channel didn't know who would replace Tilghman in the booth this week at the Sony Open or next week at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic.

"There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this," Golf Channel said in a statement.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2007 CNN/Sports Illustrated.

SI.com - More Sports - Golf anchor suspended for 'lynch Tiger' remark - Wednesday January 9, 2008 8:33PM
    Last edited by Moongirl; January 9th, 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Add 2nd article

Well, I'm not surprised Tiger didn't take any offense to it, he doesn't think he's black, anyway.

And I'm glad that the anchor got suspended. Maybe the next time, the idiot will think before she speaks.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Well, I'm not surprised Tiger didn't take any offense to it, he doesn't think he's black, anyway.

And I'm glad that the anchor got suspended. Maybe the next time, the idiot will think before she speaks.
    My feelings exactly!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    My feelings exactly!
    You would think he would've caught a clue back in the day that he was actually black when some of the restricted country clubs refused to let him in. And it wasn't until the PGA threatened to take them off the tour rotation that they changed their tune.

Too bad we can't give him away like they did in the Race Draft on Chappelle Show.

You would think he would've caught a clue back in the day that he was actually black when some of the restricted country clubs refused to let him in. And it wasn't until the PGA threatened to take them off the tour rotation that they changed their tune.
    Or when Fuzzy Zeller said I guess they'll serve fried chicken and collard greens.. but he's Coblanasian...
    Too bad we can't give him away like they did in the Race Draft on Chappelle Show.
    That was the funniest..I have a list of folks I want to trade..he is still after MJ, though!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

It would be just as offensive if she said that a Jewish golfer should be gassed.
    When you put it that way, I think I understand it better. She really wasn't thinking though, she said it as a compliment. She'll have to choose her words more carefully next time. I tend to put my foot right in my mouth so I'm definitely glad I'm not in her shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    When you put it that way, I think I understand it better. She really wasn't thinking though, she said it as a compliment. She'll have to choose her words more carefully next time. I tend to put my foot right in my mouth so I'm definitely glad I'm not in her shoes.
    It was a back-handed compliment, which is nothing more than a passive aggressive insult in disguise.

Or when Fuzzy Zeller said I guess they'll serve fried chicken and collard greens.. but he's Coblanasian...
    I completely forgot about that. Yeah, that would have been the black elephant in the room right there for most folks. Well, except Tiger apparently.

That was the funniest..I have a list of folks I want to trade..he is still after MJ, though!!
    Yeah, Tiger and MJ are on my list to just give away, too. But Condi Rice and Jesse Jackson are at the top of the list.
    Last edited by Tati; January 10th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.

Default "Lynch Tiger"

A commentator on the Golf Channel was suspended for two weeks on Wednesday by the company for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Tiger Woods should ``lynch him in a back alley.''Kelly Tilghman was laughing during the exchange Friday with analyst Nick Faldo at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, and Woods' agent at IMG said he didn't think there was any ill intent.
    But the comments became prevalent on news shows Wednesday, and American black activist Al Sharpton joined the fray by demanding she be fired immediately.
    Golf Channel didn't know who would replace Tilghman for the channels coverage this week at the Sony Open or next week at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic.
    ``There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this,'' Golf Channel said in a statement announcing the suspension.
    The suspension ends in time for the Buick Invitational on Jan. 24, when Woods will make his 2008 debut.
    Faldo and Tilghman were discussing young players who could challenge the world's No. 1 player toward the end of Friday's broadcast at Kapalua when Faldo suggested that ``to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up for a while.''
    ``Lynch him in a back alley,'' Tilghman replied.
    ``While we believe that Kelly's choice of words was inadvertent and that she did not intend them in an offensive manner, the words were hurtful and grossly inappropriate,'' Golf Channel said in its statement. ``Consequently, we have decided to suspend Kelly for two weeks, effective immediately.''
    Woods and Tilghman have known each other 12 years. She was picked to host a club demonstration with Woods in south Florida when he talked about new products from Nike Golf.
    Tilghman was helped when Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent at IMG, said it was a non-issue and considered the matter ``case closed.''
    ``Tiger and Kelly are friends, and Tiger has a great deal of respect for Kelly,'' Steinberg said Tuesday night in a statement released by Golf Channel. ``Regardless of the choice of words used, we know unequivocally that there was no ill-intent in her comments.''

Golf Channel anchor suspended for 'lynch' remark about Tiger Woods | Tours & News | Golf.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Her exact words were young golfers should "lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley". She's an asshole.
    It's that entire phrasing that makes me think the word "lynch" was not "just unfortunate" on her part as a poor choice of words. This was bad. I haven't followed up to see if more excuses were given for her.

She got a two-week suspension, but is she really coming back?

Weird.

When I hear lynch, it's not racial.. it's getting jumped by a bunch of guys for (insert reason here)

Must be a regional thing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    A commentator on the Golf Channel was suspended for two weeks on Wednesday by the company for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Tiger Woods should ``lynch him in a back alley.''Kelly Tilghman was laughing during the exchange Friday with analyst Nick Faldo at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, and Woods' agent at IMG said he didn't think there was any ill intent.
    But the comments became prevalent on news shows Wednesday, and American black activist Al Sharpton joined the fray by demanding she be fired immediately.
    Golf Channel didn't know who would replace Tilghman for the channels coverage this week at the Sony Open or next week at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic.
    ``There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this,'' Golf Channel said in a statement announcing the suspension.
    The suspension ends in time for the Buick Invitational on Jan. 24, when Woods will make his 2008 debut.
    Faldo and Tilghman were discussing young players who could challenge the world's No. 1 player toward the end of Friday's broadcast at Kapalua when Faldo suggested that ``to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up for a while.''

Golf Channel anchor suspended for 'lynch' remark about Tiger Woods | Tours & News | Golf.com
    Oh geez. She should be punished just for giving Al Sharpton another excuse to try to be relevant.

Totally not in her defense, but I have said some shit that I didn't even think about being offensive until it came out and then I realized either who I said it about or who I said it in front of.

In any event, I think it was a case of totally sticking her foot in her mouth, more than it was an intentional racist remark.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Weird.

When I hear lynch, it's not racial.. it's getting jumped by a bunch of guys for (insert reason here)

Must be a regional thing.
    It must be, I don't think it's racial either. I don't think the news caster meant it to be racial either.

There are "2805 [documented] victims of lynch mobs killed between 1882 and 1930 in ten southern states. Although mobs murdered almost 300 white men and women, the vast majorityóalmost 2,500óof lynch victims were African-American. Of these black victims, 94 percent died in the hands of white lynch mobs. The scale of this carnage means that, on the average, a black man, woman, or child was murdered nearly once a week, every week, between 1882 and 1930 by a hate-driven white mob" (ix).
    Post-Civil War / Reconstruction Era
    • Thirteenth Amendment:: Ended legal slavery in the United States.
    "Black Codes: Laws passed by southern states that attempted to regain control of the southern black labor force.
    Civil Rights Act of 1866: African Americans became citizens of the U.S, under this statute; following this civil rights act, riots erupted in many southern states.
    "In every southern state there was an assault on any activity that contested the privileges of whites or threatened to hinder white domination of the black population, including wresting the reins of political power from blacks, northern carpetbaggers, and sympathetic white southerners, known as 'scalawags'" (8).
    A Portrait of the Lynching Era, 1880-1930
    "The lynching era encompasses roughly the five decades between the end of Reconstruction and the beginning of the Great Depression. During these years we may estimate that there were 2,018 separate incidents of lynching in which at least 2,462 African-American men, women and children met their deaths in the grasp of southern mobs, comprised mostly of whites. Although lynchings and mob killings occurred before 1880, notably during early Reconstruction when blacks were enfranchised, radical racism and mob violence peaked during the 1890s in a surge of terrorism that did not dissipate until well into the twentieth century" (17).
    "In addition to the punishment of specific criminal offenders, lynching in the American South had three entwined functions:
    • first, to maintain social order over the black population through terrorism;
      second, to suppress of eliminate black competitors for economic, political, or social rewardsí
      third, to stabilize the white class structure and preserve the privileged status of the white aristocracy" (18-19).
    "Lethal mob violence for seemingly minor infractions of the caste codes of behavior was more fundamental for maintaining terroristic social control than punishment for what would seem to be more serious violations of the criminal codes"
    History of Lynching in the United States, Jana Evans Braziel

Lynching in the United States refers, primarily, to the practice in the 19th and 20th centuries of the humiliation and killing of people by mobs acting outside the law. These murders, most of them unpunished, often took the form of hanging and burning. To demonstrate a ritual of power, mobs sometimes tortured the victim.
    Lynching became highly associated with Southern efforts to retain and enforce white supremacy after their initial defeat in the American Civil War. In their defeat, Southern whites resisted allowing full legal and civil rights to African Americans. The aftermath of war increased social and economic volatility. The formal end of the war meant that groups shifted to other means to try to resist Federal occupation and changes to the law.
    The civil rights aspects of the short Reconstruction that immediately followed the Civil War, and then again later in the mid-20th century aroused anxieties among white citizens about African American political power. African American citizens and white allies were lynched during both these periods. Although African Americans were sometimes able to defend their communities, white militias were more heavily armed and had more military experience. Lynchings during the 1960s in Mississippi galvanized public support for the Civil Rights Movement and legislation.
    In the 1870s, Democrats regained power through affiliated militia terrorism of black and white Republicans, assassination of community leaders and political activists, and intimidation and restriction of voters at the polls. Even after the Democrats regained power throughout the South, between 1880 and 1951 the Tuskegee Institute recorded lynchings of 3,437 African-American victims, as well as 1,293 white victims. Southern states completed disfranchisement of African Americans about the turn of the century. Their white Democratic representatives comprised such a powerful voting block in Congress that they consistently defeated Federal bills against lynching.
    African American writers, journalists and playwrights mounted public education, protests and a campaign against lynching in the late 19th and early 20th century. Through the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), they were joined by white activists. African American women's club networks raised funds to support the work of public campaigns, including anti-lynching plays. In 1930 white Southern women formed the Association of Southern Women for the Prevention of Lynching to join the struggle. Their petition drives, letter campaigns, meetings and demonstrations helped to highlight the issues. Together the groups' efforts led to a reduction in lynching.
    Lynching in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

So the 300 white people don't count?

Black people aren't the only people to have ever been "lynched".
    The actual definition of lynch is:
    To execute without due process of law, especially to hang, as by a mob.

Blacks are not the only ones that have suffered that fate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information