Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Figure Skating Part 2

Thank the Lord that this top three all get to go to Worlds this year. They deserve it.
    BITTER and Laurent like this.

Jason looked really dead on today. Nice job, great expressive music.
    BITTER and Laurent like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Oh that's right, the men do get three spots this year. I feel kind of bad for Max Aaron, but his artistry is seriously lacking and it's something he needs to work on and I hope he will - his jumps are gorgeous.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Curious to see how many people have turned on Jason Brown (well, at least on the reliable source of public opinion that is GoldenSkate). This time last year you would have thought he'd resurrected Jesus Christ with his free skate and now people are crucifying him.

^^^Crucifying him for what, beating Adam Rippon?

I know people hate to speculate, but he was mid-pack after the short program. He has been plagued by inconsistency. And you know skating judges don't just judge you for what you do at the current comp, but they look at past performances too. Some say it's why Paul Wylie had to place second behind Viktor Petrenko at Albertville in 92. Sometimes those past performances come back to haunt a skater.

I joined GoldenSkate in 2004 and quickly left - what a bunch of elitist twats. Worse than FSU even.
    Rusalka likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    ^^^Crucifying him for what, beating Adam Rippon?
    More just the general scores he gets. Of course, there's now also a lot of quad chat with some people saying he's a worse performer than Lysacek (!).

I know people hate to speculate, but he was mid-pack after the short program. He has been plagued by inconsistency. And you know skating judges don't just judge you for what you do at the current comp, but they look at past performances too. Some say it's why Paul Wylie had to place second behind Viktor Petrenko at Albertville in 92. Sometimes those past performances come back to haunt a skater.
    True, and judging becomes even worse at Nationals as federations have their favourites and can boost certain skaters more openly.

I joined GoldenSkate in 2004 and quickly left - what a bunch of elitist twats. Worse than FSU even.
    Cue the rafts of "Oh, Jason is such an obvious performer. I much prefer more subtle artistes like Farris and Rippon" being posted there.
    BITTER likes this.

I think that there is something to be said for doing all of those difficult moves while connecting to the audience at the same time. Matt Savoie had gorgeous skating skills, but was so introverted he was like Rain Man with skating lessons.

And NO WAY was he a worse performer than Evan. Not with his horrid, flailing scarecrow arms and body.

Also, did someone dip Max Aaron's head in a large can of Crisco? He looked like he should have auditioned for Sha-Na-Na.
    Slushie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I think that there is something to be said for doing all of those difficult moves while connecting to the audience at the same time. Matt Savoie had gorgeous skating skills, but was so introverted he was like Rain Man with skating lessons.

And NO WAY was he a worse performer than Evan. Not with his horrid, flailing scarecrow arms and body.
    You hit the nail on the head when you talked about elitism. I think a lot of skating fraus (I'm guilty of this, too) like to bang on about skaters who are often marked low by judges/seen as "quiet" performers as it makes them seem more knowledgeable and appreciative about the sport, whereas they like to disregard performances that show-off more. A recent example is Kaetlyn Osmond: girl can sell her way out of a paper bag and crowds tend to love her, but she's not exactly wildly popular on the forums.

Skating fraus are the original hipsters, it seems.

Did someone dip Max Aaron's head in a large can of Crisco? He looked like he should have auditioned for Sha-Na-Na.
    I can never take my eyes off his eyebrows. They remind me of that Friends episode where Joey gets his waxed:

BITTER and msdeb like this.

chola brows And Aaron's look worse than Joey's!!!

Oh you get those fraus who think Todd Eldredge is sexy or something like that. Todd's a fine skater, but sexy? Really? I had someone tell me once that Todd was "a sex symbol for thinking women". Or if they go apeshit over some skater from some obscure country and can't understand why they place so low...

And Gracie Gold was pissed off last night too.
    Slushie likes this.

The Skating Lesson posted this a few months ago, and I thought it was pretty close.

BITTER likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Silver Member

Figure skater as good as gold with Black choreographer's moves - The Philadelphia Tribune: Entertainment

One of the most exciting and compelling stories of the 2013-2014 figure skating season was the emergence of Jason Brown, who in his first season in the senior ranks won a silver medal at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships — earning a berth on the 2014 Olympic team in the process. Even so, Brown is hoping to improve on that performance during this year’s championships, now taking place in Greensboro, N.C. Senior competition will be televised Saturday, Jan. 24, 3-6 p.m. and 8-11 p.m. on NBC, with Brown going for the gold in the men’s free skate Sunday, 4-6 p.m., on NBC. In his senior debut last season, Brown’s considerable talent and artistry were showcased by the choreography of Rohene Ward, who set Brown’s short program to Prince’s “The Question of You,” and, most notably, created an exuberant and technically challenging long program to “Riverdance,” which became a worldwide sensation for the young skater and ultimately went viral.

“I woke up one day and I told him, ‘I had a dream: You’re going to skate to ‘Riverdance,’” Ward, a Minneapolis native who competed in the U.S. Championships in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008, told Icenetwork.com. Ward also competed for Puerto Rico and is the 2004 Puerto Rican national champion. He choreographed many of his own routines during his days as a competitor and now skates professionally in Europe, bringing his lithe, lyrical avant-garde style to Holiday on Ice. “Jason did not know the piece, so I said, ‘We’re going to ask your mom.’ She answered, ‘Oh, I love ‘Riverdance!’ Jason Googled the music and came back the next day, saying, ‘It’s great!’” In an Icenetwork interview from 2014, Brown stated, “Rohene was really excited about ‘Riverdance.’ We started working and we both fell in love with it. It is so much fun, and the audience quickly gets into it. It is upbeat and so different. It starts rather slowly, and then it builds up and it never stops. It is one of my most challenging programs ever, but we worked so hard and it is really exciting when it comes together.” However, with a new season comes new challenges and Brown, who has been with his coach Kori Ade for 14 years, will take the ice in Greensboro with two new programs by Ward, who is now garnering attention of his own in the world of figure skating — the light-hearted “Juke” by Little Walter for the short program, and the dramatic “Tristan and Iseult” by Maxime Rodriguez for the free skate.

“I couldn’t really pick another ‘Riverdance,’” said Brown, who interestingly has a staunch advocate in comedian/talk show host Arsenio Hall, due to the fact when Jason was born, his mother was an executive producer for “The Arsenio Hall Show.” “What’s really cool is that Kori and Rohene have put together programs this season that are really outside my comfort zone,” Brown said. “Each year, I start from scratch. I never do two classical pieces in a row, for example. They’re trying to grow me as an artist, and I love the process.”

In Brown’s new programs Ward makes excellent use of the young skater’s wonderful musicality, show-stopping spins and superb footwork, compensating for the fact Brown does not yet have the all-important quadruple jump in his arsenal as he prepares to face his toughest rival, reigning U.S. Men’s champion Jeremy Abbott. Ward said he was “never really concerned with outdoing what we did last season,” but said his goal for this season was for Brown to “show some more maturity.” In the exotic and innovative Ward, Brown appears to have found someone who totally understands him as an artist; and in the engaging and supremely talented Brown, Ward has definitely found his muse. Early last season, before Brown would go on to win a bronze medal in the team competition at the Sochi Olympics and finish ninth overall in the men’s competition, Kori Ade put it all in perspective saying, “Rohene is not so well known today because some people tend to remember him as a skater who did not succeed as a competitor. ‘He is so gifted,’ someone said, ‘that was also his curse.’ He never developed a spirit for competition, but one day he will be an iconic choreographer.”

Glad to see Ward getting some attention - his choreo is fierce and can help move skating forward and keep it interesting.Yamaguchi's Pandora ice show was on today. Really awful skating, I'm sorry. Elvis Stojko and his wife looked cute though. Yama is jacked, though. And Tanith talked about her upcoming nuptials to Charlie. I don't know what she sees in him, but she will make a lovely bride. Her wedding pics I definitely want to see.

Silver Member

Ladies Short Program begins today. Tuktamysheva landed her 3 axel.
    Laurent likes this.

Silver Member

Plushenko is trying to revive his career, from his hospital bed. His back is being held together by tissue paper and spit.
    BITTER likes this.

^^^Is he having money problems? Or is it just his ego talking?

Thread Information