Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ex-teammate says Lance Armstrong encouraged drug use

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Me too. I had forgotten that Marion Jones was sentenced to and served 6 months in jail for doping. It is not taken lightly that's for sure. This will be very interesting to watch. I hope he gets time for this.
    Yes, I loved Marion. I thought she was so beautiful and smart and accomplished and was very disappointed in her for doping. But she has paid her debt I guess. For some reason, I think Lance won't get jail time. And now he is wealthy enough for it not to harm him financially. From what I understand, Marion's legal fees pretty much cleaned her out; she even had to sell the house she got for her mom, or something like that. And was she not fined as well? Lance is a multi-millionaire. Somehow, like a cockroach, I think he'll survive this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Somehow, like a cockroach, I think he'll survive this.
    I read an article that claimed Lance's cancer was a result of his performance enhancing drug use. If true, he paid a big price for his wins. Also even if he was completely cleared of doping, most people will always believe that he did dope. That taint will always be on his wins.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Sending him to jail won't achieve much but stripping him of his titles in disgrace will hurt much more. Cycling is one of the dirtiest sports out there.
    It's horrible. I don't know if I trust any past winner's feats, either. Are they doing year-round random tests on these guys?

As long as he doesn't lie to the feds he won't go to jail. Jones went to jail for lying about doping, not doping. That's what they're going to get Roger Clemens on eventually.

I think Lance tested clean because he had access to newer performance enhancing drugs that weren't being tested for. Ahead of the curve.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    I read an article that claimed Lance's cancer was a result of his performance enhancing drug use. If true, he paid a big price for his wins. Also even if he was completely cleared of doping, most people will always believe that he did dope. That taint will always be on his wins.
    Part of me feels pity, especially because of his being a cancer survivor. But part of me sees him as some sort of malignant narcissist who needs to be brought down a few pegs. I honestly believe that it was not just a matter of him being afraid of getting caught; it is almost as if he feels above the rules and regulations...

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It's horrible. I don't know if I trust any past winner's feats, either. Are they doing year-round random tests on these guys?
    They do test regularly, but according to Hamilton's interview last night, there are ways around it, including the way you take the drugs, to out and out bribery. Lance's team doctor was banned from the sport, but he and Lance continued their relationship. I am sure that he continued to help him dodge that bullet. What gets me is that powers that be in this cycling federation accepted the money so that his positive test results would not be made public. And I don't think Hamilton is lying or exaggerating. The rumors have been around for years; now someone is going public.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I don't know if you guys have done it yet, but you should check out Greg Le Mond's extensive Wiki entry particularly about his conflict with Lance Armstrong. He called out Armstrong way back, and it almost destroyed his business and his personal life.

He also called out Landis before Landis was caught. Landis fought back ferociously against Le Mond's accusations, even using personal information (about childhood molestation) that Le Mond had confided to him. After Landis was caught, to his credit he made amends with Le Mond.

Nobody seems to have any dirt on Le Mond at all, so I tend to believe he was clean.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    All winning cyclists dope. Yes, I know that's a massive generalization, but when a sport is that infested with doping you cannot win without it.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    This is a big cycling town with thousands of bikes on the roads every day. I know a few very keen, semi-pro cyclists and they all acknowledge and accept that doping is rife throughout the sport. Nobody believes for one second that Lance Armstrong didn't use drugs to achieve his remarkable results over the years. The cancer card helped him avoid too much scrutiny at the time.

Sending him to jail won't achieve much but stripping him of his titles in disgrace will hurt much more. Cycling is one of the dirtiest sports out there.
    and this.

i've met enough amateur competitive cyclists and even THEY dope. it's a dirty sport so not sure why anyone is surprised by this.

the only way that so many pro cyclists avoided getting caught is because they (sports testers) haven't been consistently checking for EPO antibodies. and everyone uses EPO.

. . .
    Nobody seems to have any dirt on Le Mond at all, so I tend to believe he was clean.
    LeMond is from an era where the major sports enhancing products (namely EPO) were not yet available. so i believe most of the cyclists from that era were clean. and they also did not have the fabulous racing times that you see today. if they doped they used their own blood rather than EPO (yes, they used to do that).

I don't know if you guys have done it yet, but you should check out Greg Le Mond's extensive Wiki entry particularly about his conflict with Lance Armstrong. He called out Armstrong way back, and it almost destroyed his business and his personal life.

He also called out Landis before Landis was caught. Landis fought back ferociously against Le Mond's accusations, even using personal information (about childhood molestation) that Le Mond had confided to him. After Landis was caught, to his credit he made amends with Le Mond.

What a wormy thing to do to LeMond. Landis is a scumbag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information