Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beijing Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Can all these shattered world records really be down to the new swimsuits? Just asking.
    Shaving 4 and 5 seconds off a world record made only 4 years ago is . . . curious.

Maybe it is the suits, and I guess since they all have access to them the playing field is equal there. It does make you wonder, though.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I didn't even know there was such a thing as Synchonized DIVING. WTH?
    I watched some of the womens and damn those Chinese just put everyone to shame....

I think NBC and The Today Show has done an awesome job covering this, the only complaint I would have (and of course I have to have at least ONE lol) would be that a lot of the more high profile events seem to be aired later at night...I'm assuming for the West Coast. I have yet to see Phelps actually swim....

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    I think NBC and The Today Show has done an awesome job covering this, the only complaint I would have (and of course I have to have at least ONE lol) would be that a lot of the more high profile events seem to be aired later at night...I'm assuming for the West Coast. I have yet to see Phelps actually swim....
    I'm an hour behind you on Central Standard Time and the gymnastics are always on here at like 11 p.m. I'm sliding into a coma while trying to stay awake long enough to see anything.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I think all the men should swim naked

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Hell, I'm all for the swimmers ripping off their suit. Did you see what was underneath??!! Holy hell, they should NOT be allowed to wear clothing EVER
    Oh man, those loins of Apollo are so pronounced! I love me some swimmers and I agree with Rica, nekkid swimming for everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Everyone should be naked, like in the
    Ancient Olympics.

I watched some of the womens and damn those Chinese just put everyone to shame....

I think the real reason is because of the time change. To make the live events hit American Prime Time TV, they are having the events at 8am, China time. Which the Chinese complained about because it was too early, athletes would be too tired, but when the IOC gets billions from American TV, they overruled. So the live events can't happen any earlier or it would be 6am.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The swimming relay was an upset for sure - I think the first 3 beat the world record? Can all these shattered world records really be down to the new swimsuits? Just asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Shaving 4 and 5 seconds off a world record made only 4 years ago is . . . curious.

Maybe it is the suits, and I guess since they all have access to them the playing field is equal there. It does make you wonder, though.
    The swimsuits (worth 500 bucks apiece & take almost a half hour to put on-like a second skin) are part 1. The other part they have explained is the exceptional pool the Chinese built-all other pools were 2 meters deep but this one is 3 meters. That prevents a backlash of water hitting the swimmers. They also are using lane guides that prevent water from sloshing over into the other lane-they absorb it instead. The combination of theses factors is making the swimmers surprise themselves! Watch for this pool to be duplicated or even improved on in future!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

NBC is airing them later than they could. I watched all the gymnastics finals live on cbc.ca and they all started at 7:04pm Pacific Time. I knew the results before NBC even started their gymnastics coverage. I actually taped the NBC coverage because i had to go to bed (i'm a gym nut so i like to see all coverage).
    Last edited by t13nif; August 14th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I think the real reason is because of the time change. To make the live events hit American Prime Time TV, they are having the events at 8am, China time. Which the Chinese complained about because it was too early, athletes would be too tired, but when the IOC gets billions from American TV, they overruled. So the live events can't happen any earlier or it would be 6am.
    In the Athens Olympics there were some events going on at 4:00 am to hit primetime in the country they were shown. If there was local interest in India or whatever some minor events were staged at ungodly hours. I had a friend working as an interpreter and he would leave to go to work at 3 am etc.

I'm using my dvr works great to get rid of all those damn commericals and get me right to what I want to see!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post

Apparently the pool is a fast pool and in it's deign they did something to reduce the wave effect. There was an article about it that I read.

Any way as they are freezing athletes "samples" for 8 years we will know then.

I have my suspicions on some athletes including some Australians.

I know that the swimmers are tested every time they exit the pool. I also the that the IOC have improved the testing since Athens, and Sydney.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

SSDiva, it's not so much that the IOC has improved testing, it's that Juan Antonio Samaranc has stepped down and Rogge is not willing to turn a blind eye like Samaranc was doing for so long.

Dammit Canada. Can't we at least get like a 'Good Try' pity medal? Please??

All I can say, if we perform like this in 2010 there will be a riot....and I'll be right in there

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information