Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beijing Olympics Thread

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I live in Utah, 20 minutes at most from any of the events. There wasn't any interest there for me, not for anyone I knew either.
    Construction was horrible for a year prior to the Olympics, when it was here though, you could barely even tell.
    All we have to remember it was even here is a couple of the ring emblems on our freeway overpasses.
    I know some people enjoy it though.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Yeah i am in Vancouver and the construction here is brutal leading up to the games. We'll be getting some pretty sweet infrastructure though. People here are torn as to whether they are for or against the Games. It's very political.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Opening ceremonies tomorrow! Can't wait!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I saw some of it on line,too Chinese i would say..weird hours to watch,i ll have to rescedule.
    It was wonderful in Athens during the Olympics,an endless festival..i miss it.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Morgan Hamm is now out as well

Morgan Hammę John ChengBEIJING, Aug. 7, 2008 -- Morgan Hamm of Waukesha, Wis., today informed USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) that he was withdrawing from the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team for medical reasons. Hamm has been battling a left ankle injury, and at this time, he believes it is in the best interests of the team to allow another gymnast to represent the USA in the Olympic Games. The men’s selection committee is in the process of identifying who will replace Hamm.

“I have been dealing with this for the last year, and it recently has gotten worse here in Beijing,” said Hamm, a two-time Olympian. “Right now I am unable to perform my tumbling skills at the level that I need to. This has an impact on my ability to contribute to the team’s goals and I believe by continuing I would be putting myself at further risk. There are two very capable athletes who can step in and help this team more than I can right now.” “Morgan’s dedication to helping the USA claim a team medal for the second straight Olympics has been exemplary,” said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics. “He has done every thing he could to contribute to this team, and we appreciate his efforts. We also appreciate his putting the team’s best interests first. He has once again demonstrated why he is a champion.”
    :: USA Gymnastics ::

and Chellsie Memmel is only going to compete bars:

BEIJING - Chellsie Memmel said today that she will only compete on the uneven parallel bars for the U.S. women's gymnastics team when it begins competition Sunday in the team qualifying event.

Memmel hurt her right ankle at practice in Beijing Saturday said Andy Memmel, Chellsie's father and coach. During women's podium training today, Memmel did one full uneven bars routine but practiced her landing three times. "The last one she made almost perfectly," Andy Memmel said.

U.S. women's team coordinator Martha Karolyi said she asked Memmel to do a full bars routine today. The U.S. will have until Saturday to make a substitution for Memmel from its list of three alternates -- Jana Bieger, Ivana Hong and Corrie Lothrop.

Andy Memmel said that he and Chellsie have not considered withdrawing from the competition. "There's no way this team would be better with anyone else as long as Chellsie can do her bars routine," Andy Memmel said.

In the team qualification, five of the six women perform on each of the four apparatus and the top four scores count. The top eight teams advance to the finals. The weakest event for the U.S. is the uneven bars.

Memmel, 20, was the 2005 world all-around champion but she has been plagued by injuries since. She missed the 2007 world championships, where the U.S. won a team gold medal, while recovering from shoulder surgery and even as recently as last April, Karolyi didn't list Memmel as a favorite to make the team.

But Memmel finished third in the all-around to Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin at both the U.S. national championships and the Olympic trials to make it all but impossible for the U.S. selection committee to not pick Memmel.

Chellsie Memmel competing only on uneven bars - Los Angeles Times
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I hear everymorning on radio our reporters from China.
    This morning a young one was vomiting his guts out because getting out of a taxi he saw a local eating cockroaches on a stick ..

Ok, a semi inspirational USA Olympic story.

I'll have to get the details, sorry, didnn't do my research quite yet Becky. BUT--there is an Olympic runner from the Syracuse area (of course) who will be the one carrying the flag for the USA team during opening ceremonies. He was chosen because he, I believe, is a refugee from Africa (along w/several of his brothers and sisters) and they were adopted by a couple in this area. He has recently obtained legal citizenship and is one of the leading contenders in the running events. I don't have details in front of me, but can get them as he has been a HUGE news story in this area....just dealing with small children makes it hard sometimes.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the games, I am not a HUGE fan, but do enjoy some of the events. Some Track & Field, some swimming, gymnastics. Sometimes its fun to get caught up in the drama of it all!

I hate the freaking Hamm twins...but i digress.....

I'm most looking forward to gymnastics, as i was once an elite gymnast with a dream of making the Games. I love all Olympic sports though. Canada is pretty sucky in most of them but we have a few contenders. And there are always a few surprises .

Lynnie-- i heard about that flag bearer--i think he is called the "lost child" or "lost boy" of Uganda or something. Sorry, i don't have the deets either. I love all the inspirational stories. One of our male gymnasts, who won a gold in Athens, broke BOTH LEGS last fall and he will be competing. Such a comeback.

^^Yea, something like that. It's a really good story. I will post it when I am able. His name is Lopez Lomong...

And people are losing their shit in this area for him and the whole Olympic thing.

Edit: Here's the latest:

Lomong to carry U.S. flag in opening ceremony
    At home, community cheers: 'Go, Lopez. Tully loves you.'
    Thursday, August 07, 2008
    By Maureen Sieh
    Urban affairs editor
    Jerry Smith hasn't watched television in his Fayetteville home in six years, but he plans to turn it on Friday to see U.S. track star Joseph "Lopez" Lomong carry the American flag during the Olympics' opening ceremonies on NBC.

"Lopez Lomong carrying the flag is almost as good as it gets. It's (as) American as it gets," said Smith, 65, who coaches cross-country and track and field at Bishop Ludden High School. "This young man is full of joy, respect, dedication and hard work: all those things that have made this country so great. He didn't come here (seven) years ago, sit on his back side, and get to represent the United States."

Smith, who saw Lopez compete in the Olympic track and field trials in Eugene, Ore., was among the nearly 500 people who gathered Wednesday at St. Leo's Church in Tully for an event that raised more than $17,000 to send Lomong's foster parents, Robert and Barbara Rogers, his Tully High School coach, Jim Paccia, and Paccia's wife, Cheryl, to the Olympics in Beijing. The Rogerses and the Paccias plan to leave Wednesday. Lomong's 1,500-meter race is Aug. 15.

Lomong, one of the "Lost Boys" of Sudan, won a vote of team captains Wednesday to earn the honor of leading America's contingent into the 90,000-seat Bird's Nest Stadium.

"It's more than a dream," Lomong said in an interview with The Associated Press moments after he got the news. "I keep saying, I'm not sure if this is true or not true. I'm making the team and now I'm the first guy coming to the stadium and the whole world will be watching me carry the flag. There are no words to describe it."

At about 8:15 p.m., Robert and Barbara Rogers took a break from thanking the community for their support when they got a call from their foster son.

They put him on a speaker phone and he got a chance to greet the crowd, tell them that he had been selected to carry the U.S. flag and say, "Thank you for sending my parents to Beijing."

The crowd cheered.

Lomong carrying the American flag is just as good as winning a gold medal, Robert Rogers said.

"There's no greater honor," Rogers said. "Ever since he was in the 10th grade, he said, 'I want to represent this country.' "

The Rogerses, who live on Otisco Lake, took in Lomong and five other young men from Sudan as part of an effort to relocate thousands of Sudanese young men and boys who fled the war in their homeland. Lomong came to the United States in 2001.

At Tully High School, he starred in track and cross-country and went on to become one of the nation's fastest collegiate middle-distance runners. He had begun dreaming of running for the United States in 2000 when he watched the Sydney Games on a black-and-white television near Kakuma refugee camp in Kenya, where he lived for 10 years.

He was separated from his parents at gunpoint at age 6 when government soldiers tried to recruit him and other boys to join the army.

Lomong is one of three American men competing in the 1,500-meter race. All are naturalized citizens: The others are Bernard Legat, originally from Kenya, and Leo Manzano, from Mexico.

The news that Lomong had won the honor to carry the U.S. flag spread quickly early Wednesday in Tully and other parts of Central New York. It was the topic of conversation at the fundraiser and community thank-you event, which was more like a community picnic.

Dan Seely, of Diamond Catering, provided the food: hot dogs, hamburgers, corn, barbecue pork and drinks. The women at St. Leo's Church made pastries and baked goods.

Seely came prepared for about 400 people, but within the first 90 minutes he was running out of food. He served 500 ears of corn, 440 hot dogs and 375 burgers.

By 6:30 p.m., he called the Nice N Easy store in Tully and the nearby Green Hills Farms to order extra sausage, hot dogs and hamburger buns.

Zac Long, who was on the cross-country and track team with Lomong at Tully High School, made a poster featuring a picture his mother, Linda, took of Lomong when he ran for Tully.

The poster read: "Go Lopez. Tully loves you."

"We just didn't know that we were going to see a kid you grew up with on television," said Long, 22, a senior at Syracuse University. It's the definition of living the American dream."

Organizers of the Lopez Lomong Support Team Fund sold T-shirts with Lomong's picture on them. An account set up at Alliance Bank raised $17,000, and organizers expect that amount to reach more than $20,000 when they add the sales from the T-shirts, a raffle and a 5-kilometer race from Tully High School to the church that raised $870, said Eileen Baldassarre, organizer of the event.

Baldassarre said she was hoping to raise $15,000 for the Rogerses and Jim Paccia, but some people wanted to send Cheryl Paccia, too.
    The community's response has been overwhelming, she said.

"I'm thrilled that we're able to do this for these four people," she said.

Many people were dressed in the T-shirts and lined up to sign a poster that will be given to Lomong in Beijing.

Marley, Mike and Brittany Bridenbaker wrote: "Live in the rainbow, Man! We're pulling for you!!"

"Lopez, no matter what the outcome, I know you will have a smile," wrote Sid Perkins.

Maureen Sieh can be reached at msieh@syracuse.com or 470-2159.

The Post-Standard | Syracuse NY Newspaper - syracuse.com
    Last edited by LynnieD; August 7th, 2008 at 07:42 PM.

A*O

China Fact #398

The Australian team will be second from last in the opening ceremony parade, just before Zambia, because the Chinese word for Australia (whatever that is) comes right at the end of their alphabet.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Greece will be first,of course..i cant wait,it starts in an hour..

A*O

The opening ceremony is winding up as I type, the athletes coming out on parade. Ceremony - technically brilliant but totally lacking in soul. A great metaphor for China really. And I'm very sorry but is it really necessary for the athletes to be on parade carrying their fucking video cameras? Can we have just a little bit of decorum here?

Oh, and Sarah Fucking Brightman?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm watching the replay of the march here (cause it was live at 3am here) and i was shocked at how lucy-goosey the teams were! Traditionally the opening ceremonies were always very formal--teams all marched in formation and cameras were not allowed. The closing ceremonies were the ones where people went a bit nuts and had cameras and stuff. Did the Russian team get booed?? I wasn't really paying attention at that point and it sure sounded like it and the commentator said that it was an "interesting"response to the team.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    I'm watching the replay of the march here (cause it was live at 3am here) and i was shocked at how lucy-goosey the teams were! Traditionally the opening ceremonies were always very formal--teams all marched in formation and cameras were not allowed. The closing ceremonies were the ones where people went a bit nuts and had cameras and stuff. Did the Russian team get booed?? I wasn't really paying attention at that point and it sure sounded like it and the commentator said that it was an "interesting"response to the team.
    I think it was done on purpose, to show that China isn't as rigid and rules oriented as though...

You know every aspect of it was planned, they wouldn't have it any other way!

But having said that I'm pretty proud of China right now The lighting of the torch was amazing! Showing the video of all the other that had carried it was pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The opening ceremony is winding up as I type, the athletes coming out on parade. Ceremony - technically brilliant but totally lacking in soul. A great metaphor for China really. And I'm very sorry but is it really necessary for the athletes to be on parade carrying their fucking video cameras? Can we have just a little bit of decorum here?

Oh, and Sarah Fucking Brightman?
    How about the ones who were on their cell phones WHILE parading into the stadium!!!!! Idiots.

But: the opening ceremony was stunning, technically and visually. Holy Crap!
    You can already hear the organizing teams for future Olympics cursing their lungs out on how to beat that!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information