Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beijing Olympics Thread

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Oh please, what you wouldn't give to be the horse he's pommelling....
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

A*O

LOL - The Chinese Govt really, REALLY doesn't get it, eh? This is going to be a total fiasco.

Australian Olympic boss John Coates is disappointed that China will censor the internet during the Beijing Olympics.

"It certainly is disappointing... I think it's a matter that the IOC will take seriously,'' Coates said, adding that he was surprised by the development.

Sun Weide, spokesman for the Beijing organising committee, announced earlier that journalists would not be able to access information or websites connected to the Falun Gong spiritual movement which is banned in China.

Other sites were also unavailable to journalists, he said, without specifying which.

Coates, who is also a member of the IOC, said internet freedom was part of China's undertaking for the Games.

"It's a key plank so something that the IOC will take very serious I am sure,'' he told reporters.

"I don't remember the exact commitments that were given, but that is important, freedom of the press particularly, and full trasnperency, particularly during Games time, and so I think it is a matter that the IOC will take seriously.

"What they can do about it, I don't know. It's one of those things I'm not sure you can do anything about, but we'll see.''

Another Australian IOC member Kevan Gosper said he was aware of the problem and would speak to the Chinese side about the issue.

"I have heard that there are some limitations on access,'' said Gosper, chairman of the International Olympic Committee's press commission.

"I will speak with the Chinese authorities to advise them of the restraints and to see what their reaction is.''

Earlier an organising committee official confirmed that Internet access would be censored for foreign media during the Olympic Games, reversing a pledge to offer complete media freedom at the event.

Journalists from Australia and elsewhere have complained to Gosper about internet speeds and blocked access and he undertook to pursue their concerns.

IOC executive director Gilbert Felli took up the issue with Games organisers yesterday.

However Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said China had its own management standards for the internet.

AOC media director Mike Tancred said internet access and download speeds at the athlete's village were good.

AAP
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

K, note for the stupid ass olympic committee:

do not have the games in a place that does not meet the requirements ahead of time.

If some country is notorious for restricting rights, access to information, or whatever else that the IOC deems as necessary, THEN DONT FUCKING HAVE IT THERE. Jesus, not rocket science.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The IOC was aware it now seems- they made a deal with the Chinese:

IOC Admits Internet Censorship Deal With China
    By Nick Mulvenney

Reuters

BEIJING

Some International Olympic Committee officials cut a deal to let China block sensitive websites despite promises of unrestricted access, a senior IOC official admitted on Wednesday.

Persistent pollution fears and China's concerns about security in Tibet also remained problems for organizers nine days before the Games begin.

China had committed to providing media with the same freedom to report on the Games as they enjoyed at previous Olympics, but journalists have this week complained of finding access to sites deemed sensitive to its communist leadership blocked.

"I regret that it now appears BOCOG has announced that there will be limitations on website access during Games time," IOC press chief Kevan Gosper said, referring to Beijing's Olympic organizers.

"I also now understand that some IOC officials negotiated with the Chinese that some sensitive sites would be blocked on the basis they were not considered Games related," he said.

Attempts at the main press centre to access the website of Amnesty International, which released a report on Monday slamming China for failing to honor its Olympic human rights pledges, continued to prove fruitless by mid-week.

Other websites, including those relating to the banned spiritual group Falun Gong, are also inaccessible.

Beijing organizers said censorship would not stop journalists doing their jobs in reporting the Games.

"We are going to do our best to facilitate the foreign media to do their reporting work through the Internet," BOCOG spokesman Sun Weide told a news conference.

"I would remind you that Falun Gong is an evil, fake religion which has been banned by the Chinese government."

ABC News: IOC: Web Will Be Censored During Olympics
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I was at the Olympics last night here in Athens..beautiful..
    I will watch EVERYTHING,i always do.The hours will be weird but what the hell..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

A*O

It just keeps getting better. Who wants to bet all the Korean journos are kicked out now. Or Seoul gets nuked!

Can't keep a secret … Korean footage of the opening rehearsal.

Mary-Anne Toy | July 31, 2008

A Korean television station has broadcast exclusive footage of the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony after a reporter managed to walk into the National Stadium during a rehearsal on Monday.

The ceremony, directed by China's best known film director, Zhang Yimou, was meant to have been under strict security.

Design and production teams and thousands of cast members have been required to sign confidentiality agreements. Breaches of the secrecy agreement are punishable by up to seven years' jail.

Beijing's Olympics spokesman, Sun Weide, said he had only learnt of the footage yesterday and declined to comment. The footage can be seen online.

An employee of Seoul Broadcasting System said one of its Olympics reporters arrived in Beijing on Monday and walked from the International Broadcast Centre to the Birds Nest, as the Olympic stadium is nicknamed. The journalist was able to enter and shoot the footage, which begins with a countdown and thunderous drums.

A giant scroll painting unfurls, revealing a lone rhythmic gymnast. Other highlights include the projection of larger-than-life whales on giant screens that appear to run around the interior lip of the stadium roof and dozens of airborne acrobats dressed as fairies.

- with Sanghee Liu
    Last edited by A*O; July 31st, 2008 at 07:06 AM.
    Dame Edna Everage

Bronze Member

I'm looking fwd. to the Olympics so much. I'm sure the opening and closing ceremonies will be awesome. Right up at the top with the Athens ceremonies. I'm a little worried about the Typhoon season though. Oh and the air quality for the athletes. Not to forget about
    all the people that might find themselves in prison for saying something they should not have said.

This Olympics is a joke, even moreso than the others. I couldn't care less about them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

And I couldn't care more! I am worried about the air quality. Seems hopeless.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Aussie athletes have been given the option not to go if they are worried about the pollution problem. Of course none of them will but I think it's going to be a real issue, especially for the distance runners.

One of the pollution control measures introduced by the Chinese Govt is to allow vehicles with odd and even reggo numbers on the road on alternate days. It's not making any difference of course and in any event the wealthy Chinese (and being a good Communist state there is an elite class of super wealthy) are just using two cars with one of each reggos.
    Dame Edna Everage

*shudder* it's amazing people can live int hat kind of toxic soup.. well, live badly.

how do people breathe?

Quote Originally Posted by S&R's Mom View Post
    I'm looking fwd. to the Olympics so much. I'm sure the opening and closing ceremonies will be awesome. Right up at the top with the Athens ceremonies. I'm a little worried about the Typhoon season though. Oh and the air quality for the athletes. Not to forget about
    all the people that might find themselves in prison for saying something they should not have said.
    hey s&r

I can't wait for the games to begin. I like the winter ones better I think with the skating and tobaggons I also feel badly for the people who have trained for years and have to breathe in that garbage.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Bronze Member

Hey Viggo. I love your picture!! Winter or summer games doesn't
    matter to me. I get so caught up in the comp.!! Mens Gymnastics, the twins are back and they kill me. Hoping they are healthy for the comps. Have a great weekend Sweetie.

Didn't Paul break his hand and have to drop out? I thought I heard that...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^ Yes Paul is out..

Paul Hammę Max MorseINDIANAPOLIS, Ind., July 28, 2008 – Paul Hamm of Waukesha, Wis., today officially notified USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic Committee that he was resigning from the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team for men’s gymnastics.

“I have put my heart and soul into my comeback and done everything I could to get ready in time to compete in Beijing,” said Hamm, who won the all-around title at the 2004 Olympic Games and is recovering from a broken hand. “After returning home from the preparation camp, I had a few physical setbacks, and it became clear to me that my physical preparations would not be sufficient to properly represent the United States and contribute to the team’s efforts to win a medal. I recently strained my rotator cuff and have been unable to perform all of my skills. I am very grateful to have been given the opportunity to make a comeback. At this point in time, the success of the team and fairness to the team, and the alternates, is most important. While I am very disappointed, I feel I can wait no longer to make this decision.”

Hamm began his return to competitive gymnastics in August 2007 after a nearly three-year layoff after the 2004 Games to complete his education. In 2008, he won the all-around title at the Winter Cup Challenge, Tyson American Cup and Pacific Rim Championships presented by Gillette Venus. Hamm broke his fourth metacarpal on May 22 during the Visa Championships and successfully petitioned to the Olympic Team in June. He demonstrated his competitive readiness on July 19 to the men’s selection committee, and the men’s preparation camp concluded on July 22. “We admire Paul for making this difficult decision,” said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics. “Paul’s comeback this year has been phenomenal, made even more impressive following the injury to his hand. He has raised the level of determination among the entire team to put forth a medal winning effort in China. We respect his decision at this time, which is being made to serve the best interests of all of the athletes involved.

:: USA Gymnastics ::
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information