Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Beijing Olympics Thread

A*O

There are always exceptions but generally speaking blacks are built to run like the wind while us poor whiteys waddle along at the back by comparison. I've even read that it's down to the skeleton and actual bone structure of the different racial groups.

But to say that swimming and gymnastics are "elite" sports and only available to rich folks is ridiculous, especially at beginner level. At lot of coaches can spot raw talent at a very early age and take students under their wing and nurture their talent for free.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I had always thought it was to do with all the people from the black countrys being poorer and walking/running everywhere, and also running to survive...ie hunting.
    And IDC how racist some people might find it, I agree with A*O. It's like men and women being built differently, everyone knows it but they generally want to disagree.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    You know that this isn't true, right.
    Is it less true than the "blacks aren't as buoyant as whites" argument?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    But to say that swimming and gymnastics are "elite" sports and only available to rich folks is ridiculous, especially at beginner level. At lot of coaches can spot raw talent at a very early age and take students under their wing and nurture their talent for free.
    I didn't say they were elite sports. I said they are costly sports to participate in at beginner and at the elite level.

Why does someone noticing a trend in who plays/wins which sports become a racist comment?

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Is it less true than the "blacks aren't as buoyant as whites" argument?
    No, that's bs also...

African Americans and Swimming

Buoyancy Myth
    There was once a notion that African Americans' bodies were denser than caucasians' bodies and that this gave African Americans a disadvantage in learning to swim. This notion has been debunked, but word still hasn't gotten around.

Even if African Americans' bodies were denser, it wouldn't matter: anyone can learn to swim. Few bodies are denser than Fred's, our retired Oakland, California cop / student who became a volunteer assistant to teach our classes, and then became a full-fledged instructor. His lean students take a look at him and say, "If he can do it, I can do it." Almost everyone can float, but if you're like Fred who can't float even with his lungs as full as birthday balloons, you can still feel safe in water and learn to swim as he did.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Gold Member

No, that's bs also...
    I know it's BS. I think my explanation is at least more plausible, even if you don't agree with it.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

No, that's bs also...

Few bodies are denser than Fred's, our retired Oakland, California cop / student who became a volunteer assistant to teach our classes, and then became a full-fledged instructor. His lean students take a look at him and say, "If he can do it, I can do it." Almost everyone can float, but if you're like Fred who can't float even with his lungs as full as birthday balloons, you can still feel safe in water and learn to swim as he did.

I'm like Fred . I go straight to the bottom--people have never seen anything like it.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    I had always thought it was to do with all the people from the black countrys being poorer and walking/running everywhere, and also running to survive...ie hunting.
    And IDC how racist some people might find it, I agree with A*O. It's like men and women being built differently, everyone knows it but they generally want to disagree.
    Africa isn't all mud huts lol!

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Africa isn't all mud huts lol!
    I know that!

But that doesnt mean they are all skyscrapers and cars everywhere either!

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    I know it's BS. I think my explanation is at least more plausible, even if you don't agree with it.
    The reason why I say your explanation is BS, because those aren't elite sports, and being poor isn't the reason why black kids very seldom participate in the two. There are poor black kids who run track and field, and play basketball all the time here in the US, and since they can't participate in their bare feet, or payless tennis..now can they. I know my cousin ran track and field, plus played football in college..we all chipped in...and have you ever tried to feed an athlete, its expensive as hell!! They participate in what they find fun, exciting, and what they are good at..muscle mass and structure doesn't play a part.

Track and Field Spikes, Clothing and Equipment

Basketball Footwear :: Search Results on Eastbay.com
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

^However, not all communities have pools which is really the biggest factor. (If there isn't a pool near you, then you can't have a swim team!) Pools are very costly to maintain due to the upkeep. Outdoor basketball courts, not so much. I've lived in a community that almost did away with its pool even though it was well used throughout the year. Swimming facilities can costs loads for the maintenance, water temperature, cleaning, chlorine, etc.

Also, regional weather patterns are a huge difference. That's why Scandinavian and northern European countries excel at the Winter Olympics.
    Jamaicans can run all year.

Finances still play a big part though. That's why Jamaica doesn't have a world class crew (rowing) team. Athletically, their people could definitely do it. Those tall guys are built for it. But try building and maintaining the sports infrastructure for it. $$$$$

A*O

I'm sure that socio-economic factors play a large part in who does what sport, especially at the elite level, but I still think there's also a 'biological' reason why certain races excel at some sports and not others. If you put together a team of caucasians and threw money at training them full time to run fast my money would still be on a, say, Jamaican team to beat them. Mind you, I think there's something in the water in Jamaica because their sprinters are in another league altogether.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^I just think they've become very specialized in it due to their circumstances. They clearly have a good training core and they're situated close enough to North and South America that they can easily travel to those countries for competitions and training. That still gives them enough experience with other athletes and training programs to not plateau or decline even though they seem to focus almost solely on sprinting. If they dedicated themselves to building athletes in other sports more like water polo, then their high level of specialization would decrease. Just because they have not demonstrated exceptional abilities in other sports does not mean they do not exist. It was speculated by several sports commentators twenty years ago that Steffi Graf probably would have been an excellent sprinter due to the speed she demonstrated on the court. However she just used her speed on the court. The same goes for Jamaica. They could excel in other sports, but they choose to focus on sprinting.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    ^^ I dunno but that man has some weird feet. I wondered what Ian had been up to now that he's no longer any Olympian.

The great Ian Thorpe is usually a guest judge on Australian's Next Top Model lol

Thread Information