Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beijing Olympics Thread

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    he looks like a penguin

For real--he doesn't really profess to be straight does he?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I dunno-we have seen some weird stuff in womens gymnastics,too.
    On the whole, the gymnastics scoring has been pretty good. There have been some wonky scores here and there but they haven't really affected any end results.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    For real--he doesn't really profess to be straight does he?
    He carefully avoids the issue when he's asked in the (many) interviews he does in the press. The answer is always "yes there's someone special but they live overseas and so it's hard to maintain a close relationship when they live so far away but yes, they have the qualities I look for in a partner but they have a career too so we try to talk on the phone every day. Who knows, we have a lot in common but I can't speak for them" blah blah

I recall he had an American female swimmer/beard but I don't think they were ever an official item, in fact I don't think they were ever seen together. He likes this Long Distance Relationship excuse to explain why he's never seen out and about with any kind of date, male or female.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Ahhh, i see. He looks like such a nelly though! I don't see why he just doesn't come out....he's not trying to hide it by the way he dresses etc .

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I dunno but that man has some weird feet. I wondered what Ian had been up to now that he's no longer any Olympian.

This question may seem a little *odd* and please don't be offended.

With running/sprinting events I'm genuinely curious as to why the majority of runners (and winners) are black?
    Running events seem to have a huge amount of athletes from the Caribbean and Africa. Even a lot of the runners from North America and Europe are black.

I hope this question isn't too 'out there' but like I said I'm genuinely curious about this.

They showed one place-can't remember which one-where children play running races from the time they are little. I think it is a question of what famous runner they either know or are told about. If a famous runner was admired by their parents,that will increase the interest. I know a lot of the Olympic runners are black,but there seems to be no other reason I can figure-they are vastly different heights,body types,etc. I do think running as a small child helps develop talent and strengthens the right muscles.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

SVZ

as politically incorrect as it is, a few studies have shown that there are genetic differences in muscle makeup of different races (which should be obvious imo)

A*O

It's a physiological thing but for some reason the PC nazis get pissy about it even though it's plain to see. People with African genes tend to be tall and have longer legs and more powerful glutes (bums) which makes them excellent sprinters, basketball, etc and those with a smaller, more wiry stature are great distance runners - think of all the successful East African and Ethiopian marathon, 10,000m runners. Caucasians usually have shorter legs and more upper body strength, think about weighlifters and swimmers. Asians are more 'compact' still and excel at gymnastics, diving. I've read about the differences in muscle distribution too - Africans have 'heavier' muscles which makes them great runners but not so good at swimming because they aren't so buoyant.

Certain countries are traditionally very good at certain sports and I'm sure it's because over the years the population has tended towards sports that 'suit' their particular body type.

Of course and you occasionally find a great black swimmer or white sprinter but they are the exception.

I don't understand why we have to be so precious about discussing what's patently obvious although I'm sure there will be people who say it's "racist". Sigh.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

But most of the runners have different body types! Some don't have the legs you'd think!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

There are exceptions all over the place, but generally what A*O mentioned is true. I just watched the women's sprint last night and the Jamaican girl who won had really thick, muscular thighs. She had the most heavily muscled thighs of all of the runners and she won despite not having much experience. It was incredible to watch and she was so excited, with her huge smile and braces. You couldn't help but be happy for her, I loved it.

It's the composition of the muscle. 'Fast-twitch' muscle fibres are conducive to power, speed events. 'Slow-twitch' muscle fibres are more suited to endurance events. However, it seems like the events that typically used to be considered endurance races are now becoming sprints!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    He carefully avoids the issue when he's asked in the (many) interviews he does in the press. The answer is always "yes there's someone special but they live overseas and so it's hard to maintain a close relationship when they live so far away but yes, they have the qualities I look for in a partner but they have a career too so we try to talk on the phone every day. Who knows, we have a lot in common but I can't speak for them" blah blah

I recall he had an American female swimmer/beard but I don't think they were ever an official item, in fact I don't think they were ever seen together. He likes this Long Distance Relationship excuse to explain why he's never seen out and about with any kind of date, male or female.
    Ironically his American swimming beard was the lovely Amanda Beard. What a great Freudian slip that one was.

KD
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    There are exceptions all over the place, but generally what A*O mentioned is true. I just watched the women's sprint last night and the Jamaican girl who won had really thick, muscular thighs. She had the most heavily muscled thighs of all of the runners and she won despite not having much experience. It was incredible to watch and she was so excited, with her huge smile and braces. You couldn't help but be happy for her, I loved it.

She was so cute! Her joy was contagious!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's a physiological thing but for some reason the PC nazis get pissy about it even though it's plain to see. People with African genes tend to be tall and have longer legs and more powerful glutes (bums) which makes them excellent sprinters, basketball, etc and those with a smaller, more wiry stature are great distance runners - think of all the successful East African and Ethiopian marathon, 10,000m runners. Caucasians usually have shorter legs and more upper body strength, think about weighlifters and swimmers. Asians are more 'compact' still and excel at gymnastics, diving. I've read about the differences in muscle distribution too - Africans have 'heavier' muscles which makes them great runners but not so good at swimming because they aren't so buoyant.

Certain countries are traditionally very good at certain sports and I'm sure it's because over the years the population has tended towards sports that 'suit' their particular body type.

Of course and you occasionally find a great black swimmer or white sprinter but they are the exception.

I don't understand why we have to be so precious about discussing what's patently obvious although I'm sure there will be people who say it's "racist". Sigh.

Welllllllllll, there's another aspect to it, at least in the US. Sports like swimming and gymnastics are "expensive", i.e. they require expensive coaching and facilities/equipment. Running and sprinting are "cheap" sports requiring neither, at least at beginner levels. Sadly, blacks in the US tend to be poorer than whites and on the whole are less able to afford to participate in these sports at the elite level. There are exceptions, obviously! One of our gold medal-winning relay swimmers is black. So is Dominique Dawes, who was on the gold-medal winning gymnastics team in 1996.

I don't agree that black people are "naturally built" for sprinting and running but won't float in a swimming pool. I also don't agree that whites can't be good sprinters or runners. I think it's more cultural than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Welllllllllll, there's another aspect to it, at least in the US. Sports like swimming and gymnastics are "expensive", i.e. they require expensive coaching and facilities/equipment. Running and sprinting are "cheap" sports requiring neither, at least at beginner levels. Sadly, blacks in the US tend to be poorer than whites and on the whole are less able to afford to participate in these sports at the elite level. There are exceptions, obviously! One of our gold medal-winning relay swimmers is black. So is Dominique Dawes, who was on the gold-medal winning gymnastics team in 1996.

I don't agree that black people are "naturally built" for sprinting and running but won't float in a swimming pool. I also don't agree that whites can't be good sprinters or runners. I think it's more cultural than anything else.
    You know that this isn't true, right.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information