Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beijing Olympics Thread

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I've decided Jason Lezak is the Olympic hotness.
    With a paper bag over his head maybe...
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    With a paper bag over his head maybe...
    He's better-looking than Grant Hackett, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    He's better-looking than Grant Hackett, that's for sure.
    OK, NBC was saying right before Grant Hackett's race in the 1500 that it was the equivalent of the Super Bowl in Australia. Accurate?

A*O

Well no, not really LOL. But I guess swim tragics would disagree. A closer equivalent to Super Bowl would be the Aussie Rules football Grand Final in September.

Grant Hackett is going to retire after this - not because he lost but because he's burned out. He's had a lot of ongoing health problems, including asthma, but I think his heart's just not in it any more. Swimming at this level requires a huge amount of self discipline and sacrifice and I think he's just had enough. Ian Thorpe all over again. What these ex swimmers do next can be a problem as they usually missed out on a lot of education and other Real Life experiences so they are pretty much unemployable unless they do coaching or something vague in the media - or design pearl jewellery like Ian "he's not gay" Thorpe.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

lol What's going on with Ian Thorpe. I was shocked that he appeared on Australia's Next Top Model, I was wondering what does he know about modelling or fashion besides being rich and can afford an Armani jacket.

He is so gay. When will he just admit.

Well no, not really LOL. But I guess swim tragics would disagree. A closer equivalent to Super Bowl would be the Aussie Rules football Grand Final in September.
    OK, that's what I thought.

Grant Hackett is going to retire after this - not because he lost but because he's burned out. He's had a lot of ongoing health problems, including asthma, but I think his heart's just not in it any more. Swimming at this level requires a huge amount of self discipline and sacrifice and I think he's just had enough. Ian Thorpe all over again. What these ex swimmers do next can be a problem as they usually missed out on a lot of education and other Real Life experiences so they are pretty much unemployable unless they do coaching or something vague in the media - or design pearl jewellery like Ian "he's not gay" Thorpe.
    Ian Thorpe designs pearl jewelry? Seriously? I had NO idea!

KD
    Elite Member

I've been watching daily/nightly. I saw Ian Thorpe last night in the stands when Phelps and Posse won the last relay. I saw him wiping his eyes. Why, I am not sure.

And trampoline is an olympic sport? I never knew til i saw it.

SVZ

he looks like a penguin

^So, are you going to change your avatar?

What these ex swimmers do next can be a problem as they usually missed out on a lot of education and other Real Life experiences so they are pretty much unemployable unless they do coaching or something vague in the media
    Although, Matt Biondi moved on. He's been a math teacher in Hawaii the past 7+ years. Maybe this is just an Australian thing since swimmers are more renown there than they are in the States.
    Biondi could serve as role model for Phelps

When Michael Phelps decides to hang up his bodysuit, he might care to choose Matt Biondi as his role model. For Biondi, the three-times Olympian who racked up 11 Olympic medals and 12 world records, cheering crowds are a distant echo. Like Phelps, who won a record eight golds in Beijing, for Biondi it was all about the swimming, not the glamour.

"I was never comfortable being a famous person," Biondi said. "I've never been one who likes crowds and parties. I'm more of a farmer."

After winning a relay gold medal at the Los Angeles Games, Biondi won five golds at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. He was the all-American young man -- tall, good-looking and charismatic.

Biondi won two more golds and a silver in 1992, before moving on to play water polo and into motivational speaking.

"In 1990, I peaked physically ... I was getting older and had shoulder problems, then rehab, which only gets you back to zero. Then, after my last race, I took off my suit and moved on," Biondi, 42, said in an interview.
    Eight years ago, he earned a master's degree that prepared him for a teaching job at a small private school at Waimea on Hawaii's Big Island.
    Waimea is a former cowboy town in Hawaii's ranch lands with a population of about 8,000 that Biondi said has allowed him to find a balance between work and his wife and three children.

"I sought out that kind of life because I wanted to be seen not just as an Olympian," Biondi said. "I sought a new profession, not just one that fed into the other from swimming."
    Sport Feed Article | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by KD View Post
    I've been watching daily/nightly. I saw Ian Thorpe last night in the stands when Phelps and Posse won the last relay. I saw him wiping his eyes. Why, I am not sure.

maybe because it was an emotional thing, what with Phelps winning his 8th gold? i found it very emotional.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

KD
    Elite Member

Well, I was wondering if if it were that or the fact that Australia lost. I am not sure. I agree, it was very emotional.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Any one watching boxing?
    It has to go down as the most badly judged event in the history of events.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Any one watching boxing?
    It has to go down as the most badly judged event in the history of events.
    I dunno-we have seen some weird stuff in womens gymnastics,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^Although, gymnastics has changed their scoring system in the last few years. I think that may be part of it. Judges still getting used to the new scoring system.

Don't know about boxing. Haven't watched any of it.

Boxing is the 'Button masher' of the olympic world.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information