Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Back To Basics: Sports That Have No Place In The Olympics

Well why not add football then? Maybe because it already rakes in billions per annum already? None of the billion dollar sports should be included, no pro players either.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Curling rocks! It's like bowling/bocce on ice for fat guys. Very addictive.
    And Crotia rocked curling in these awesome pants.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

A*O

Bonspiels rock!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    No synchronized anything.

No badminton or ping pong

No shooting - has anyone ever bragged about their "shooter's build"?

No equestrian (the horse is the athlete)
    Get rid of ping pong, fencing and equestrian and the damn Germans will start invading countries again. Besides, equestrian is lovely and is one of the most dangerous sports.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Anything that has to be judged rather than just won outright. Unfortunately that would include a lot of my favourite events like diving and gymnastics, but they have their own world championships as well. I just think having "impartial" judges is where the most corruption occurs, so take them out of the equation and the Olympic movement might go back to being an inspiration rather than the bloated moneymaking joke it is now.
    Truer words...I wish there were a division between the judged and unjudged sports. Even something subtle, a hint that judging compromises all athletic integrity. I almost wish the two would be completely separate events - Accomplished and Judged Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Curling rocks! It's like bowling/bocce on ice for fat guys. Very addictive.
    Yes Ma'am!! It's slo-mo yet intense, like being drunk. What can beat a bunch of middle aged men bellowing at rocks sloooooowly sliding down a sheet of ice? And brooms as equipment??? That's some Nordic redneck shit right there.
    Waterslide likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Yes Ma'am!! It's slo-mo yet intense, like being drunk. What can beat a bunch of middle aged men bellowing at rocks sloooooowly sliding down a sheet of ice? And brooms as equipment??? That's some Nordic redneck shit right there.
    Brookie likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I saw some of beach volleyball last night, it was on where I was eating. The only thing I could say was "Why is this in the Olympics". Its been years since Ive played volleyball but I dont recall it needing anywhere near the same amount of skill and dedication as gymnastics, swimming or even ice skating.

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    I saw some of beach volleyball last night, it was on where I was eating. The only thing I could say was "Why is this in the Olympics". Its been years since Ive played volleyball but I dont recall it needing anywhere near the same amount of skill and dedication as gymnastics, swimming or even ice skating.
    It has an advantage in that the competitors are some of the fittest athletes in the whole games. And you don't have to rely onscoring based on judges..

Ribbon dancing, sync swimming, and shooting...archery too maybe. Some other sports I find boring like water polo and fencing and such but I do think the people who participate train hard and are athletes. I also think that basketball and tennis should get rid of pro players. Like wth is Lebron and Kobe doing there? At least with soccer they try to limit the amount of pros who are allowed to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Agree with most but would absolutely keep sand volleyball and soccer. Those are true athletes.

I so agree!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    I think basketball should be axed, and trampoline. Synchronized anything, as Mohandas suggested, is a waste of time. I think all men's sports should be done shirtless.
    Not the shot put. Keep those shirts on. Woof!
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

ROFL. I'm inclined to agree. Although it'd be interesting to see some Winter Olympic sports done shirtless. Shirtless curling anyone?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

^^Based on most of the men's curling teams I've seen, no thanks.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Denial. You know they're too sexy for their plaid.
    Sialia likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

As others have said basketball, tennis and soccer are huge in their own right. While I don't feel they need to be Olympic events, if kept then let them not be the professionals.

I heard an interesting comment this morning. Federer won Wimbeldon this year, and won the silver at the Olympics, with the Gold going to the Brit (Murray I think is his name). Interviewer commented that it was a bigger deal to win at Wimbledon than to win at the Olympics. That immediately made me think first of all what an silly thing if true, then secondly, if the Olympics are not the premier event in that year then why is it an Olympic sport?

Elite Member

OMG, I came on here just to post this same sentiment. The other day I was in a public place and the Olympics were on the TV (we don't watch at home). They were skeet shooting. I'm like "That's not a sport! It's a skilled hobby! What's next, Olympic knitting?"

IMO it's not a sport unless you have to train and be in top physical condition to do it. So that excludes bowling as well. And ping pong.

Team sports that can be won outright should be excluded (football, basketball, hockey, baseball, etc.). The Olympics should focus on sports that require tremendous effort and training on the individual level, that don't normally get wide recognition. Gymnastics, ice skating, track, swimming, those kinds of things.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information