Thread: Kansas City Chiefs coach, Herm Edwards, fired

Arrow Kansas City Chiefs coach, Herm Edwards, fired

Chiefs Fire Coach Herm Edwards

Getty Images

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Kansas City Chiefs announced Friday that Head Coach Herm Edwards has been fired.

Edwards' status has been in doubt since the Chiefs hired Scott Pioli as their general manager on Jan. 13.

“On behalf of my family, I want to thank Herm for his service to the Chiefs,” Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt said. “After careful deliberation over the last week, Scott and I decided that it was in the best interests of the Chiefs to move forward in a different direction.

General Manager Scott Pioli also shared some words with the announcement.

“Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation. After careful consideration, Clark and I felt that it was best to make a change. What I conveyed last week in the press conference I still believe to be true – Herm is a great man and a tremendous football coach. He respects the game and the league, and he is passionate about his players and his craft.”

Edwards was named the 10th head coach in Chiefs history on January 9, 2006. He finished his tenure in Kansas City with a 15-32 regular season record and was 0-1 in the postseason.

Edwards guided Kansas City to a 9-7 record to qualify for the playoffs in his first season with the club in 2006.

The Chiefs have been in negotiations to land Shanahan as their next coach and a deal is near, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Statement from Herm Edwards

"First and foremost, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the Hunt Family for the opportunity to spend nine seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs. It has truly been an honor and a privilege to serve as the head coach of ‘Lamar’s Team’ the past three seasons. Lamar was a special, special man, who provided tremendous opportunities to so many, myself included.

There is not a more gracious family in all of professional sports than the Hunts. To Norma, Clark and Tavia, Lamar, Jr. and Rita, Sharron and David, and Dan, I would like to thank them for the encouragement and many kindnesses they extended to me, my wife, Lia, and our entire family over the years. The Chiefs franchise is clearly in good hands for many years to come under Clark’s leadership. I have no doubt that Clark and Scott Pioli will continue to steer the Chiefs in the right direction.

I would be remiss if I did not thank Carl Peterson for his support and friendship over the years. He gave me my first opportunity as a player in the National Football League with the Philadelphia Eagles. He also gave me a chance to coach in the league both as an assistant and as a head coach. What a remarkably positive impact Carl made on the lives of so many.

There are many fine, fine people in the Kansas City Chiefs organization too numerous to mention who worked so tirelessly to help our football team. I am fortunate to call so many of them friends. I am a better man and a better coach in so many ways because of them. Hopefully, they feel the same way because of our time together.

Finally, to the players and coaches who worked so hard for our team, I appreciate their efforts. This is going to be a very good football team. The support of Chiefs fans across the country has been tremendous. They are truly passionate about their football team. Chiefs fans will be proud to cheer for this team for many years to come. With the tremendous nucleus of young talent on this roster, I sincerely believe that his team is poised to do great things. I respect the tough decision that was made to move in a new direction. I wish the players and the organization the very best as they move forward.”

Geez, only 2 seasons and he's gone. Ok.

For some reason, I kinda like this guy. He can't speak to save his life, but he's fairly entertaining. Maybe he's just not coach material?

ITS ABOUT GODDAMN TIME!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    ITS ABOUT GODDAMN TIME!!!!!!!!!!
    I second that!.

Although I will say that was a classy statement Herm made on the way out. Let's bring in the new and bring a winning team back to KC! Arrowhead is now fun when the Chiefs are losing.

i wonder if they'll pick up Gruden
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Rumor has it, Mike Shanahan is in talks for the position. As an anti-Denver Bronco, I'm kind of offended by that.

This isn't a shock about Herm. He seems like a decent guy, but he's a shitty coach.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Rumor has it, Mike Shanahan is in talks for the position.
    thats what MSNBC is reporting.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Honestly, if we get HIM as our new coach, I will burn my Tony Gonzalez jersey, and my Chiefs hat will be my dog's new chew toy.

Mike Shanahan in KC would be the ultimate betrayal, there's gotta be a beter option than him, he can't win for losing anymore than Herm.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information