Thread: WTF??! Drew Brees is Player of the Year?

Default WTF??! Drew Brees is Player of the Year?

Saints' Brees wins Offensive Player of Year

Updated: January 6, 2009, 1:11 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) - In a year of prolific offenses, Drew Brees stood out like, well, Dan Marino.

Brees came so close to Marino's NFL record for yards passing that the New Orleans Saints quarterback won The Associated Press 2008 NFL Offensive Player of the Year award Tuesday.

Brees threw for 5,069 yards, 15 fewer than Dan Marino's 1984 mark and only the second time someone has eclipsed 5,000 yards passing in a season.

"I don't come out from week to week and say I have to throw for 300 (yards)," Brees said. "I don't think about that. It's really about what I can do to help this team win.

"Certainly in this offense, being the quarterback, you're in the driver's seat. You have the opportunity to control every play and have it in your hands. Every play is about me making good decisions and putting it in a guy's hands who is open or our playmakers working to their strengths. That's my job."

Although the Saints were 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs, Brees performed so well he earned 22 votes in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. That easily beat Peyton Manning, the NFL Most Valuable Player for the third time for Indianapolis, and Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson. They tied for second with nine votes each.

San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers received six votes, and Carolina running back DeAngelo Williams (2), Atlanta running back Michael Turner (1) and Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith (1) also got votes.

Brees tied with Rivers, his former teammate with the Chargers, with a league-leading 34 touchdown passes. Brees was fourth in passer rating (96.2) and led the league in attempts (635) and completions (413).

He also spent much of the season without key weapons such as receiver Marques Colston, running back Reggie Bush and tight end Jerome Shockey, who were plagued by injuries.

Yet Brees kept throwing — and connecting.
    "Each year I've gotten better, especially over the last five years," he said. "When I go back to 2004 in San Diego, every year I feel so much more comfortable. I really feel like I've refined my routine and continued to find what works for me. It changes a little bit every year. I tweak it every year to make it a little better, but by doing so, I make myself a better player."

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Saints' Brees wins Offensive Player of Year
    Is it wrong of me to expect the winner of this award to be on a winning team?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

what an odd choice.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

The guys is a stud...have almost as many yards as Marino and did it without his top 2 targets for most of the season. This award was for offensive player of the year....Not MVP. You can be on a bad team and still have a great individual season.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

^^^ yep, look at Dan Fouts.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Geaux DREW! Damn straight! He has the numbers to back it up. There is no question Drew is one of the best QB's in the league. Regardless of the team's record, which a lacking defense, not offense, attributed to, an individual should not be overlooked.

If the Saints can build up their defense and keep the offense which has put them at the top, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Thread Information