Thread: The fall of Michael Vick

Default The fall of Michael Vick

Vick wants to play, but what team would risk it?

By TIM DAHLBERG, AP Sports Columnist 10 hours, 16 minutes ago

Michael Vick lives in a prison in Kansas, making 12 cents an hour while plotting his return to the NFL. His houses and farms will soon be gone, the two yachts are history, and he’s down to his last couple of Range Rovers.

A race horse he bought for $60,000 died of colic, the Atlanta Falcons are still trying to hit him up for millions they paid him, and the IRS and the state of Georgia want nearly $1 million in back taxes.

In 2006 he made nearly $15 million. Recently he reported total income of $12.89 for an entire month.

That’s $12.89 as in 12 dollars and 89 cents. This from someone who, before things went terribly bad, categorized a $1,000 check to his mother as “chump change.”

The numbers are cold, but they have to warm the heart of any animal lover sickened by what once went on at Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels. To many, seeing Vick stripped of the material things he and his fellow millionaire athletes like to enjoy is almost as good as watching him go to prison in the first place.

Best of all, the dogs who survived the terror of Vick’s dogfighting ring are having the last laugh.

They’re the stars of a recent National Geographic Channel television special. They live in comfort in a Utah ranch, thanks to $928,000 Vick agreed to contribute to finance their care.

And now they have their own wine.

Yes, there’s Meryl, looking anything but ferocious on a bottle of Syrah. And there’s Lewis, peeking out from the front of another Vicktory Dog bottle.

Maybe Vick can pick up a $40 bottle when he gets out of prison next July, assuming things go as planned. If he’s careful about not spending his prison earnings in the commissary, he could be paroled with enough to buy a couple of them.

He shouldn’t drink too much, though. Because he’s still got some football to play.

Buried in the hundreds of pages of paper detailing Vick’s financial woes the other day in federal bankruptcy court was the declaration that not only does Vick expect to be reinstated in the NFL upon his release but also believes he will “be able to earn a substantial living” playing quarterback once again.

Good luck with that.

Just what team he believes will employ him to do so wasn’t mentioned, but the Falcons are surely out. They severed their ties with the quarterback they once were sure would lead them to a Super Bowl and are now being led by a quarterback who has been so good in his rookie season that he just might.

Vick is supposed to be released July 20, so he could be out just in time for the opening of preseason camps. But how many teams are so desperate for a quarterback that they would risk the ire of PETA-types and other animal activists to sign an ex-con who admitted to doing some heinous things?

The other question is how much would they risk for a quarterback who has a career passing rating of 75.7, fumbles the ball once every 10 times he carries it, and hasn’t played a down in two years. Quarterbacks who could run were once the rage in the NFL, but most teams today look for the traditional pocket passer.

If a team did take a chance on Vick, it would likely be for little or no guaranteed money with incentives kicking in only if he produces—something that can never be certain in the NFL, where injuries and age can quickly take their toll. Even then, Vick won’t keep all his salary because under his bankruptcy plan he must pay part of any future earnings to creditors.

Indeed, Vick’s financial mess is as much a cautionary tale to his fellow athletes as his criminal woes are.

He has assets of $16 million but owes creditors $20.3 million. His attorneys had to hire forensic accountants to find out where the money went, $18 million of it over the last two years alone as Vick bounced from one business deal to another and seemed to hire financial advisers he met standing in line at the supermarket.

Flush with bonus money from the Falcons, Vick bought houses by the handful, invested in a rental car franchise in Atlanta and poured money into a liquor store and restaurant. He hired friends, gave away money and cars, and could never say no to his mother, who got $700 for an Easter Egg hunt one year and $317,000 for a new church building the next.

Now he sits in a prison in Kansas after a staggering and quick fall from the top. Once a favorite of fans who couldn’t buy enough of his No. 7 jerseys he’s now vilified and hated by millions who will never forgive the despicable things he and his buddies did to their dogs.

A comeback is still possible, but my guess is that this story will not end well. Upon his release from prison, the odds are Vick will spend more time dodging creditors than defensive linemen.

The dogs are a different story. Those that survived will live in comfort the rest of their lives.

And for that, we should all raise a glass of Lewis red in celebration. ()
    Vick wants to play, but what team would risk it? - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

With all of the rap sheets in the NFL some team will sign Vick. (Better not be the Giants, though.)

If he repents enough,the Cowboys,maybe. If Romo doesn't heal faster,he might not have to repent much.
    Oh,hush,King!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I wasn't going to say anything....but, hey, the Cowboys did sign Pacman Jones and Tank Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I wasn't going to say anything....but, hey, the Cowboys did sign Pacman Jones and Tank Johnson.
    Just think of us as the "instant rehab". Did you see where ol'Pacman had a babysitter bodyguard 24/7?? We spare no expense!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Just think of us as the "instant rehab". Did you see where ol'Pacman had a babysitter bodyguard 24/7?? We spare no expense!
    And then Pacman got into a fight with one of his babysitter bodyguards and got suspended again. That was money well spent.

Come on now, mark my words he'll have absolutely no problems having a team resign him. Of course he's plotting to be resigned after he gets out. Think about it, it's "only" dogs involved here, not a horrid crime against humanity. He still has his street cred and marketability, professional teams have long ago sacrificed any sense of morality for the sake of the almighty bling and championships.

Vick may be broke now and people laugh but he has nothing to worry about. He's not average joe citizen working at an auto factory. Even from the huge publicity he will get after getting out, the Oprah and people magazine interviews, the confessional new york times bestseller autobiography, and so on and so forth.

He's got it made and he's not even out yet. The joke's on us.

(what did I tell y'all, what a farce, he'll be in an NFL uniform next year in no time, hell before he's finished his current sentence teams are already lining up to sign him, remember y'all it's "only" dogs involved here he's laughing all the way to the bank)

Michael Vick pleads to state dogfighting charge - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

SUSSEX, Va. (AP)—Former NFL quarterback Michael Vick pleaded guilty Tuesday to a state dogfighting charge, a move that could make him eligible to leave prison early and potentially speed up a return to pro football.
    Vick, 28, arrived wearing wrist and ankle shackles with his gray suit, but the restraints were removed by the time he entered his plea. The one-time Atlanta Falcons star also pleaded not guilty to a count of cruelty to animals, but that charge was dropped under his plea deal.
    He received a three-year suspended sentence—far less than the maximum of 10 years he could have faced.
    “I want to apologize to the court, my family, and to all the kids who looked up to me as a role model,” Vick told the judge.
    Vick’s mother Brenda Boddie, brother Marcus Vick and fiancee Kijafa Frink walked in together and sat together in the front row of the gallery with other family and friends. Vick’s mother declined to comment to reporters but Marcus Vick acknowledged the family was glad the ordeal was nearly over.

Vick was stoic throughout the approximately 20-minute hearing. Afterward, he turned to his young daughter and winked.
    After the hearing, Surry County Commonwealth Attorney Gerald Poindexter approached Vick’s mother and hugged her, saying, “At least some of this is over.”
    Vick already is serving a 23-month sentence in Leavenworth, Kan. on federal charges of bankrolling a dogfighting operation at a home he owned in eastern Virginia’s rural Surry County, southeast of Richmond. He also admitted to participating in the killing of several underperforming dogs.
    Poindexter defended allowing Vick to avoid additional prison time.
    “I feel that what I did today is approved by more than a majority of Surry County, and that’s the constituency that I’m concerned about,” he said.
    Vick is scheduled for release on July 20, 2009, and will serve three years of probation. His latest plea is important because it resolves the remaining charges against him, which is required under federal law if he is to move into a halfway house.
    Vick’s agent Joel Segal attended the hearing and afterwards wouldn’t talk specifically about a possible return to the NFL, saying only, “Mike takes full responsibility for his actions and is ready to more forward and will let his actions speak for him.”
    Once the highest paid player in the NFL, Vick appeared about as trim Tuesday as when he entered prison a year ago. His lawyer, Billy Martin, said Vick’s legal team hasn’t been involved in any preliminary steps to revive the suspended player’s career, focusing instead on reuniting him with his family.
    “Michael as a human being is clearly somebody that we want to salvage,” Martin said. “Michael as a football player is somebody that down the road may get a chance to look again.”
    The trick may be finding a team ready to take a risk on the former quarterback.
    Atlanta still has Vick under contract. But Falcons owner Arthur Blank made clear late last month the three-time Pro Bowl selection won’t wear that team’s uniform again.

“I hope they’re prepared to face the dog lovers of America,” Kansas City Chiefs president and general manager Carl Peterson said earlier of a team that acquires Vick. “There are going to be a lot of problems. People love their pets, and particularly dogs. There will be protests, people expressing their thoughts—even though he’s served his time.”
    (Ya right)

Vick’s problems have compounded since his federal conviction in 2007. He’s landed in bankruptcy court after losing nearly all of his record-breaking $130 million from a 10-year deal he signed with Atlanta in December 2004.
    Nine protesters from the animal rights group PETA stood quietly outside the courthouse before the hearing, holding signs with photographs of bloodied fighting dogs and others that read “Dogfighters repent.”

Asked how activists would respond if the NFL takes Vick back, Dan Shannon, assistant director of PETA, said Vick must speak out against dogfighting as someone who “participated in dogfighting and saw it ruin everything he built for himself and take away all his fame, all his fortune, all of his respect.”
    “If he chooses to do that, that’s the only way I think he could ever be seen as any kind of a positive public figure,” Shannon said.

(Hmm, sounds pretty forgiving to me, hardly like PETA at all)

Associated Press Writer Dena Potter and AP Sportswriter Hank Kurz Jr. contributed to this report.

psst the Raiders could use a new quarterback!!!!!!!!! lol
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

NFL is big business. A star player, even better a notorious star player, will pull in the punters and the $$$$$. He'll be back.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Vick will be back. I can name several teams off the top of my head who could benefit from him. The Raiders, Lions, Bengals,and Browns come to mind. I have to throw the Eagles out there, too. Jerry Jones runs a halfway house for probation prone players, obviously, so let's not rule him out. Besides, we see what happens when Romo is injured.

Considering the off season might bring a slew of changes, I have no doubt Vick will be back. If he can get a starting position, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a top paid team member somewhere.

Just keep him out of the NFC south!

Cheers, let the healing begin!!!!

Official says Vick OK'd for home confinement - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

RICHMOND, Va. (AP)—Imprisoned NFL star Michael Vick will be allowed to serve the last two months of his sentence under home confinement because there is no room at a halfway house for him, a government official told The Associated Press Thursday.

Vick is serving a 23-month sentence at the federal penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation at a home he owned in eastern Virginia’s Surry County. He also admitted to participating in the killing of several underperforming dogs.

Vick’s lawyers have said they expected him to be moved any day into a halfway house in Newport News. But because of a lack of space, Vick will be released instead to his home in nearby Hampton at some point on or after May 21, said the official, who has knowledge of the case but requested anonymity because the individual was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

“We are aware of reports regarding the release of Michael Vick,” Vick attorneys Billy Martin and Lawrence Woodward said in a written statement. “As his attorneys we understand and respect that there is a process that the Bureau of Prisons follows therefore it is not appropriate for us comment at this time.”

Vick’s agent, Joel Segal, did not return messages seeking comment. Vick’s mother, Brenda Boddie, said in a telephone interview that she knew nothing about the arrangements.

The Hampton house is one of four Vick still owns, according to bankruptcy court papers. He sold the Surry County property that served as headquarters for his BadNewz Kennels soon after his July 2007 indictment.

The five-bedroom, 3,538-square-foot brick home with an in-ground pool in Hampton is assessed at $748,100, according to city tax records. Vick also owns an interest in a $2 million home being built in Suffolk, bankruptcy court papers show. His eight-bedroom home in suburban Atlanta is scheduled to be sold at auction March 10, with a minimum opening bid of $3.2 million.

Vick will be on electronic monitoring and will only be allowed to leave home for activities approved by his probation officer, the official said. He is eligible for release in July.

According to Vick’s lawyers, the former Virginia Tech standout plans to resume his pro football career. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who suspended Vick without pay, has repeatedly said he will review Vick’s status after the legal proceedings are completed.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said earlier this month that the Falcons will try to trade the contract rights on Vick to another team. Vick, once the highest-paid player in the NFL and among its most popular, has a contract that runs to 2013 and calls for him to receive a base salary of $9 million and a bonus of $6.43 million in 2009. The remainder of the contract is worth $45.11 million, with an additional possible $3 million in Pro Bowl bonuses.
    Officials of some other NFL teams have said they are not interested in Vick because they would rather not face the wrath of pet lovers and groups such as PETA, which has been a constant fixture at Vick’s hearings.

Vick also earned substantial sums from endorsement deals with Nike and other companies, but that income vanished after the dogfighting revelations virtually destroyed his image as well as his finances. Vick filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July, claiming assets of $16 million and liabilities of $20.4 million.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

You know, VA Tech should be ashamed that they allowed someone as stoopid as Mike Vick to graduate from a school with their name on it. Not only is he a first rate A-hole for being an animal abuser but he writes like a special ed second grader and doesn't speak a helluva lot better, either.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information