Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oympic diving *spoilers*

A*O

Default Oympic diving *spoilers*

This is the kind of story that (almost) restores my faith in the Olympic Games. Two Chinese divers are being bussed to the gulag as I type...

From teenage retirement to Royal Easter Show high-diver to gay icon to gold Olympic medallist; Matthew Mitcham's journey to success has been an amazing roller-coaster.

Mitcham's pulled off a stunning final dive in the 10 metre platform, scoring an incredible four perfect 10s, to steal the gold off favourite Chinese diver Luxin Zhou. Mitcham finished with 537.95 points.

It was a massive upset defeating the premiere and form Chinese divers Liang Huo and Luxin Zhou in front fierce home crowd.

Mitcham, 20, battled depression, retired in his teenage years after physical and emotional burn-out, then just nine months later resumed his sport in 2007. Last night his triumphant return to the sport was crowned with gold.

His coach Chava Sobrino, who encouraged Mitcham back into the sport, elatedly embraced diver and Mitcham broke down in tears.

It was late 2006 that Mitcham lost passion for diving and suffering depression he quit. During his hiatus from the sport last year to make money he plunged from a tower 14 metres high into a pool of water for crowds at the Royal Easter Show in Sydney. That job reignited his passion for the sport.

One person who has been by his side for the entire tumultuous and now brilliant journey is his partner, Lachlan, he was in the crowd last night courtesy of a Johnson & Johnson Olympic sponsorship.

Mitcham is one of only a few "out" gay athletes in Beijing and the first Australian to openly declare his homosexuality going into an Olympics. He's been a cover-boy for gay magazines and featured on the cult gossip website Perezhilton.com accompanied by the tagline: "Yum. Yum. Yum! Can we have a piece of that????".

From the first round the Chinese divers were on song Zhou luxin scored 84.00 and Huo Liang 82.50.

Mitcham's first dive was shaky and not well executed he finished with a poor 73.50 in 9th spot after first round. But the second dive, a back three and 1/2 somersault, rescued his score and boosted him up to second place. He registered four 10s - gave him a score of 97.35 for the back 3 and half somersault.

He continued on consitently, and was in bronze position after round for of five. His fifth dive, an armstand back double somersault, one and half twists, put him in silver.

For his last dive Mitcham needed something brilliant for gold and he found it in his back 2 and 1/2 sommersault 2 and 1/2 twists dive. He scored a huge 112.10 points.

He smiled broadly as he collected the Olympic gold, triumphantly throwing his hands in the air. Tears fell again when the medal was slipped over his head and around his neck.

Mitcham's final dive was the highest scoring dive in Olympic history and he was stunned. His thoughts?

"I think it's something to beat next time," Mitcham said. "Everything absolutely everything has been for this. I knew it was a far chance but I did everything, absolutely everything I could, to give myself the best chance of doing it. It's actually happened I never thought it would."

First dive and third dive "weren't the best". He kept the faith.

"I knew the best dives would come," Mitcham said.

His rocky road to the top was worth it Mitcham said last night.

"Coming back and doing everything I did was to win an Olympic gold medal. When I was training every single day, twice a day, eleven sessions a week, thirty hours a week before every single dive I said to myself; 'I want to win an Olympic gold'.

"It was all worth it."

Jessica Halloran
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Gold Member

I had not had a chance to watch the 10m final. Now I don't have to.

Elite Member

Sweet. I watched the prelims last night and was hoping this guy would turn out on top today
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

Can't wait to see it-I was pulling for him!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    I had not had a chance to watch the 10m final. Now I don't have to.

Sorry for the spoiler USA. I must remember that the inconsiderate Chinese are running the Games in their timezone (and mine) and not to suit TV network primetime in the US. Damn Commies.
    Dame Edna Everage

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Sorry for the spoiler USA. I must remember that the inconsiderate Chinese are running the Games in their timezone (and mine) and not to suit TV network primetime in the US. Damn Commies.
    The rest of us have been using vague subject titles and employing the word "spoilers" in the title so we don't spoil it for those on the west coast.

It's not our fucking fault.

It was awesome! Just watched him and I screamed when he went into the water. His final dive was perfect.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

i dont mind the spoiler at all. i've learned if i dont want to know the results, just dont read any thread talking about the item.

if i had to hear the announcers say one more time 8 GOLDS FOR THE CHINESE Blah blah
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I thought it was just as excting! Even KNOWING I couldn't see how he could pull it off. That was so fun!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

It's such a 'fairytale' story. This guy had given up the sport altogether a year ago and was going through some tough times emotionally and then he suddenly got his mojo back, started training again and pulled off a perfect dive to win Gold. The Chinese guys will have been training 24/7 for years and years to reach the same level.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's such a 'fairytale' story. This guy had given up the sport altogether a year ago and was going through some tough times emotionally and then he suddenly got his mojo back, started training again and pulled off a perfect dive to win Gold. The Chinese guys will have been training 24/7 for years and years to reach the same level.
    Thats what made it so magical! Really super. He was just great.

Hit By Ban Bus!

neener neener neener - OK thats just wrong but in light of everything else thats been going on I was cheering for my new Aussie friend.

Great dive and couldn't come at a better time. woohoo!

SO glad we dont have to hear about the Chinese winning all diving golds.
    I saw this dive. His reaction was priceless. He couldnt believe he had done it. He was only hoping for a bronze, MAYBE a silver, but he beat BOTH Chinese divers! It's fantastic

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i dont mind the spoiler at all. i've learned if i dont want to know the results, just dont read any thread talking about the item.

if i had to hear the announcers say one more time 8 GOLDS FOR THE CHINESE Blah blah
    The title gives the result. It was bolded and at the top of the page, couldn't help but see it.

I am pleased that someone other than a Chinese diver won gold. Don't get me wrong, the Chinese are spectacular divers and every one of them that won gold deserved it IMHO, but I'm pleased they didn't sweep every diving event!

Yay Australia!

Did anyone else see what the 14 year old British diver said? He said that he was 'so pleased a non Chinese person won'. Oops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information