Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IOC investigating gymnast's age

KD
    Elite Member

Default IOC investigating gymnast's age

The International Olympic Committee has launched an investigation into allegations that Chinese authorities covered up the true age of gold-medal gymnastics star He Kexin because she is too young to compete, the London Times reports.

An IOC official told The Times that "discrepancies" that have come to light about the age of He Kexin — the host nation’s darling, who won gold in both team and individual events — have prompted an inquiry that could result in the gymnast being stripped of her medals.

The investigation was triggered by a U.S. computer expert's claim Thursday that he had uncovered Chinese government documents that he says prove she is only 14 — making her ineligible to compete in the Olympics — rather than 16, as Chinese officials insist.

Mike Walker, a computer security expert, told The Times how he tracked down two documents that he says had been removed from a Chinese government website. The documents, he said, stated that He’s birth date was Jan. 1, 1994, making her 14. Her passport shows Jan. 1, 1992, as her birthdate.

He’s true age has been a subject of swirling controversy since the Olympic Games began. Questions over her eligibility intensified after she edged out U.S. gymnast Nastia Liukin for the gold medal in the uneven bars on Monday, and was part of China's team gold triumph last week.

Nadia Comaneci was 14 when she won her fist Olympic gold medal in 1976. Yet despite her stardom, there were criticisms that young girls were being pushed too hard at an age when their bodies and bones were still growing, causing permanent damage.

There were also concerns about their mental health, because of the pressure of competing on the world stage at such a young age, and that they were vulnerable to exploitation and even physical abuse by coaches.

foxnews.com

Good!

Finally!

Gold Member

About fucking time.

So if Nadia Comaneci won at 14 in 1976, when was the age requirement increased? And what is it now, 16?

I still can't believe that little girl's age is 14. She looks 9 to me. But maybe that's an example of how hard training can stunt growth at that age.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    So if Nadia Comaneci won at 14 in 1976, when was the age requirement increased? And what is it now, 16?

I still can't believe that little girl's age is 14. She looks 9 to me. But maybe that's an example of how hard training can stunt growth at that age.
    It wasn't that long ago, maybe in the last 10 years or so.

I don't believe that girl is 16. I have a hard time believing she's 14.

KD
    Elite Member

I have a hard time believing Yuyuan is old enough either, although she is my favorite Chinese gymnast.

Interesting note: if there was no age restriction, Nastia could have qualified for the last Olympics, but she was only 14.

Quote Originally Posted by KD View Post
    Interesting note: if there was no age restriction, Nastia could have qualified for the last Olympics, but she was only 14.
    isnt Nastia 20?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

KD
    Elite Member

Her date of birth is October 30, 1989, making her 18 at the moment.

Gold Member

I read there's questions about 3 gymnasts: He Kexin, Yang Yilin, and Jiang Yuyuan.

How would all the standings change if He Kexin was disqualified? I think the bars would go Liukin, Yilin, Tweddle. If Yilin was disqualified too then it would go Liukin, Tweddle, Koval.

If Yang Yilin was DQ'd, the all-around standings would change to include Ksenia Semenova as the bronze medalist.

The medals wouldn't change in floor or vault.

If one or more of the Chinese gymnasts were DQ'd and they lost the team gold, the standings would change to USA, Romania, Russia.

KD
    Elite Member

I don't buy that Deng Lilnin is of age either.

I wonder how long this investigation will take & what China's reaction will be?
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Gold Member

I don't buy that Deng Lilnin is of age either.
    Me either; that child was missing a tooth. She's ridiculously tiny and has a baby face.

I asked one of my co-workers (who is from Taiwan) if Chinese people simply look younger than people of European origin at that age. She said "Nope, I think they're underage too." She said she'd never seen a 16 year-old in her life who looked like that. She admitted that Chinese people are often smaller in stature than Europeans, but she thinks the gymnasts are cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by KandyKorn View Post
    I wonder how long this investigation will take & what China's reaction will be?
    I bet nothing will come of it because China will just deny, deny, deny everything and destroy all evidence of the gymnasts' real ages. And the IOC will fall in line like the submissive little bitch that it is. I think this "investigation" is all for show.

Here's 2 members of the Chinese women's gymnastics team for 2012:

KD
    Elite Member

Yahoo!
    The International Olympic Committee has ordered an investigation into the age of Chinese gymnast He Kexin, The Times of London reports. Faced with almost insurmountable evidence which suggests that He is two years younger than the birth date listed on her Chinese passport, the IOC has launched an inquiry that could result in the stripping of He's gold medals.This news comes on the heels of another Times report that details the findings of a New York computer security expert who found official Chinese documents that list He's age as 14 years and 220 days. Mike Walker used a Chinese search engine's cache feature to find He's actual date of birth on spreadsheets from a Chinese government website. The spreadsheets were taken down off the site recently and He's name had been removed.

Assuming the IOC is committed to a real investigation and not some dog and pony show, the revelation that the Chinese government covered up the ages of gymnasts could end up being the defining moment of these Games for the host country. Officials wanted the Olympics to be a coming out party for a new China. But while the Games have been a huge success, there is a legitimate possibility that China's legacy from Beijing '08 will be that of a massive government cover-up, not the magical Opening Ceremony or the transformation of Beijing or anything else positive.

All the good work China did to put on these Olympics could be forgotten because of an unnecessary, arrogant move by the government. Why risk everything to put a 14-year old in the competition when they could have replaced her with an of-age 16-year old gymnast? Sure, He is a better gymnast than the Chinese gymnasts who were eligible to compete, but with the judges they had at the Olympics, would it really have mattered?

If this is proven, I think that the Chinese should get stripped of all their medals in Women's gymnastics. It goes against all the goodwill of the games by cheating, lying and deception.
    Last edited by KD; August 21st, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

KD
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    I asked one of my co-workers (who is from Taiwan) if Chinese people simply look younger than people of European origin at that age. She said "Nope, I think they're underage too." She said she'd never seen a 16 year-old in her life who looked like that. She admitted that Chinese people are often smaller in stature than Europeans, but she thinks the gymnasts are cheating.
    Many asians, and gymnasts, for that matter are small. Look at Jonathan Horton, he's 5'1". However, there is no way those gymnasts are of age, I am totally with you.

Gold Member

Many asians, and gymnasts, for that matter are small. Look at Jonathan Horton, he's 5'1". However, there is no way those gymnasts are of age, I am totally with you.
    Oh, I agree. This girl is actually taller than I am, she's probably 5'7" or even 5'8", but by and large most Chinese women that I've met have been smaller than I am and I'm 5'6". My gym is full of Chinese women of all ages and they're tiny. Tiny! But not as tiny as those gymnasts. The Chinese women bring their little Chinese children with them and some of the young ones resemble the gymnasts in height and weight.

Just look at the 15 year-old diver who won the gold. She's TINY and she looks like a giant compared to the gymnasts. Divers are bigger than gymnasts, but they're not usually huge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information