Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics: Now Argentina's footballers photographed making 'slit-eyed' gesture

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Beijing Olympics: Now Argentina's footballers photographed making 'slit-eyed' gesture

Beijing Olympics: Now Argentina's footballers photographed making 'slit-eyed' gesture

A photo showing four members of Argentina’s Olympic women’s football team making “slit-eyed” gestures has emerged on the internet, just days after two Spanish sports teams were criticised for pulling similar poses.

By Matthew Moore
    Last Updated: 12:55PM BST 19 Aug 2008

Argentina's women lost all their matches at the Beijing Olympics Photo: OLE

The image shows players Maria Potassa, Eva Gonzalez, Fabiana Vallejos and Andrea Ojeda smiling broadly as they pull back the skin on the side of their eyes, in a crude impersonation of Chinese people.

The photo was published - without provoking controversy - in the Argentine sports newspaper Ole on Aug 5, to accompany a preview of the team’s first match of the tournament against Canada.

It was taken more than a week before adverts featuring the Spanish men’s and women’s basketball teams in similar poses sparked international criticism.

Last Thursday a photo emerged of members of Spain’s Olympic women’s tennis team pulling the same face earlier this year, in anticipation of an upcoming match against China.

The rows sparked by the photos have highlighted how standards about the acceptability of racial stereotyping vary widely between countries, even in the West.

Much of the criticism of the Spanish teams has come from the English-speaking blogosphere, prompting some complaints from Spain about alleged Anglo-Saxon hostility to Madrid’s 2016 Olympic bid.

The players involved in the photos have expressed their shock that others may find them offensive. Pau Gasol, one of the Spanish basketballers, said it was "absurd" to consider the gesture racist.

"I'm sorry if anybody thought or took it the wrong way and thought that it was offensive," he wrote on his blog.

Argentina’s women footballers had a torrid time at the Beijing Games, losing all their three games, including a 2-0 defeat to China in their final match.

The photo of the four players published in Ole was retrieved and posted on a Facebook group called ''Kick racist Spain out of the Olympics'', which was set up after after the Telegraph published the Spanish basketball pictures.

There is no suggestion that the four footballers intended to cause offence.

The Argentine Olympic team could not be contacted at the time of publication.

Beijing Olympics: Now Argentina's footballers photographed making 'slit-eyed' gesture - Telegraph

Gold Member

Not surprising. Racism is just as rampant in Argentina as it is in Spain. Just look at the attituides towards the Bolivian/Paraguayan/Peruvian immigrants.

Gold Member

Pretty fucking dumb of them to do it, even dumber of them to allow themselves to be photographed doing it.

KD
    Elite Member

They are representing a country, is very poor, and racist, form.

I expect more from playgrounds.

i will go out on a limb here, but how is this racist? Chinese people DO have slanted eyes.
    i'm not saying its right by any stretch of the imagination, just sayin...
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i will go out on a limb here, but how is this racist? Chinese people DO have slanted eyes.
    how much experience do you have with Chinese people beyond pictures and cartoons? They don't all have Lucy liu's eyes

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    how much experience do you have with Chinese people beyond pictures and cartoons? They don't all have Lucy liu's eyes
    I agree. I see plenty of Asians with different shaped eyes. I've been thought of being Chinese (East Asian) despite that I'm full Filipino (SEAsian). We don't look alike. That's all I'm saying.
    Rock the fuck on!

KD
    Elite Member

I would say that making fun of other races physical differences is racist. Regardless, the act itself is beyond juvenile, in incredibly poor taste, highly offensive and inflamatory.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Even if it's common among AZNs to have slanted or smaller eyes than typical Caucasians, what makes it ok to make fun of something they(we) can't change? Are they supposed to get PSed to fit into some Euro-centric ideal so they won't be mocked or be made to feel degraded?

Lucy Liu is fug

Heart Leigh, a lot of Filipinos have big round eyes.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Even if it's common among AZNs to have slanted or smaller eyes than typical Caucasians, what makes it ok to make fun of something they(we) can't change? Are they supposed to get PSed to fit into some Euro-centric ideal so they won't be mocked or be made to feel degraded?

Lucy Liu is fug

Heart Leigh, a lot of Filipinos have big round eyes.
    Oh, mooms. You're right...as do most people of SEAsian descent. I'm the exception. You should see my mama. I take after her.
    Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    i've decided to just ignore that comment. i offered up an opinion and an honest question. its your board i know, but not everyone is a freaking brain surgeon or Einstein. like i tell my children, if you dont know the answer, dont be afraid to ask. i didnt know, and apparently i should have been afraid to ask.
    Last edited by msdeb; August 19th, 2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: ugh
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

A lot of SE-AZNs are mixed, too. Interesting history with colonialism and what not.

My hubby has a greek last name but he's also 1/8 Chinese.

*mommy inlaw made me leche flan yesterday, was yum...hehehe*

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

im chinese and i dont have slitted eyes.

i've decided to just ignore that comment. i offered up an opinion and an honest question. its your board i know, but not everyone is a freaking brain surgeon or Einstein. like i tell my children, if you dont know the answer, dont be afraid to ask. i didnt know, and apparently i should have been afraid to ask.
    why the defensive attitude? from what i can tell, you asked a question and svz answered it. some of your remarks and even your quote under your avatar make me very uncomfortable.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."-Einstein

I agree with you, it is a physical feature of the Chinese. I have no idea if people in Argentina are racist or not, but come on, even I did the whole Chinese eyes things when I was a kid...whats that chant? my mums Chinese my dads Siamese and I'm in between? o_O Does that make me racist for doing that lil thing as a kid in school? o_O

Its just a sterotype about Chinese, and all Asians in general.

I'm not offended by this, but then, I dont have any Asian blood in me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information