x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x

OK, I can't hold off on discussing this. I know the competition is playing live on TV in the eastern and central time zones in the US, but I found out earlier today what happened.

It is BULLSHIT.

I've seen both He Kexin and Nastia Liukin perform, and Nastia was better. And who the fuck says there NEEDS to be a tie-breaker? The IOC is totally retarded this year when it comes to gymnastics. I am PISSED. First Alicia Sacramone comes in after a gymnast who BUTT PLANTED on the vault, now this?!?!?!?! I think this shit is rigged. Prove it ISN'T. So we won gold and silver in the all-around. They couldn't cover up the clear superiority of Liukin and Johnson to their little 13 year-olds with missing teeth. But the all-around is only one medal, and there are four individual events in women's gymnastics. China will be happy to "give away" the all around if they can finish with gold in the four individual events in women's gymnastics.

What I don't get is the Chinese gymnasts have hardly ONCE hit vertical on the bars and they are never fucking deducted for it. That shit pisses me off.

We are getting screwed by the judges. SCREWED.

Also, I thought Beth Tweddle's routine was at least as good as Yang Yilin's. Beth Tweddle does some of the most spectacular releases I've ever seen. Ever. Better than the Chinese when she's on plan. She got screwed too.

I felt better when they went over exactly how the scoring effected the tie. The Austrailian judge just plainly scored her lower. That did it-right or wrong. I think we will see some tweaking of this before the next one. I would have felt better if they awarded 2 golds and no silver.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I felt better when they went over exactly how the scoring effected the tie. The Austrailian judge just plainly scored her lower. That did it-right or wrong. I think we will see some tweaking of this before the next one. I would have felt better if they awarded 2 golds and no silver.
    But it's stupid. The point of having a panel judge you and of throwing out the highest and lowest scores is to avoid bias. In this case, you had a single judge (in this case from Australia) deciding everything.

And Bela Karyoli made a very good point when he criticized the judges; they come from countries that are not known for prowess in women's gymnastics, so there's a high degree of incompetence. I think there's also quite a bit of bias in favor of the Chinese gymnasts.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Well, the same thing could be said about the judges when the games were in Atlanta! There is always bias in the hosting country.

I'm no expert at how they score them, but I agree, the scoring did seem a bit suspect.

The judging has been very disappointing and too bias, I still cannot believe the Chinese got the gold!!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by gogodancer View Post
    Well, the same thing could be said about the judges when the games were in Atlanta! There is always bias in the hosting country.
    The thing is, you can't really argue that we didn't deserve the gold in 1996. And...at least we played by the rules. The scoring in gymnastics in this Olympics is bullshit.

Wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't that kid we know isn't 16!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

This is China!!! Come on, what do you expect?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    This is China!!! Come on, what do you expect?
    True-but one can always hope!

Gold Member

Nastia was robbed. If there is any justice in this world, the IOC will investigate the age of this underage Chinese gymnast and strip her of her medals. She shouldn't even be at this competition, let alone have this undeserved gold medal.

The good news is Shawn-Nastia won the gold and silver in the balance beam competition this morning

I was an elite competitive gymnast for a few years back in the '80's. This is not a new or isolated incident. There has always been scoring bias, and there always will be. Look at the 1972 Olympics. The 1984 Olympics, The 1996 Olympics.

It happens in any sport like this, or skating, diving, etc where it is up to a person to make a judgement. There is also a lot more to the technical execution aspect then the average fan would be aware of.

It's funny that Bela is crying about it now, he's been a huge part of biased scoring here in the US since the 1980's. He and his wife have rigged US competitions to give lower scores to certain girls, and higher to others. They have blocked girls from National and Olympic teams, and have done things like that for ages. They actually held a second closed door olympic team trials in 1992 to leave a girl off the team who had qualified in the real trials. Gymnastics has an enormous behind the scenes political component.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

The Chinese girls should be disqualified for being underage.
    However, the world is unfair and fucked up.
    So they will keep their medals.
    Cheating bastards.
    I feel sorry for the little Chinese girls, because I'm betting they are being forced into all this. The Chinese government are assholes.

^ I remember a year or so ago when a British athlete visited one of the Chinese gymnastic training centres. He said what went on in there was basically child abuse. Makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ I remember a year or so ago when a British athlete visited one of the Chinese gymnastic training centres. He said what went on in there was basically child abuse. Makes me sick.

It's the same here in the US( except our athletes are volunteer not selected)....and it was in the old Eastern block as well...That's what it takes to win in a sport where you'll be finished at 17.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information