Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Phelps, half-man/half fish wins 8th gold and beats Mark Spitz for record

Bronze Member

Default Michael Phelps, half-man/half fish wins 8th gold and beats Mark Spitz for record

Michael Phelps has to love his teammates right now. Earlier, he tied the record of winning 7 individual gold medals in a single year's games with Mark Spitz's record, which was set in the 1972 Munich Olympics.

Tonight, he set a new record of most individual gold medals won in the modern Olympics (8) when he and his teammates won the best medley.

Despite the rumor (OK, my rumor) that he is in fact half-fish, this is quite an accomplishment and one he couldn't achieve on his own. Well done, Phelps and Team USA.

"With the help of his teammates on Sunday, Michael Phelps surpassed Mark Spitz, 36 years after Spitz’s record haul of seven gold medals at the Munich Games. The United States won the 4x100-meter medley relay in 3:29.34, a world record, for Phelps’ eighth gold medal of the Beijing Games."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/sp...=1&oref=slogin
    "We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde

Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

WOOOHHHOOOOOO!! Go Michael and the USA
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Didn't he win by something like 1/100th of a second? I know he's the winner and all, but it seems kind of insignificant when you look at it that way.

Yes! This is the only part of the Olympics that I really got excited over. Go Michael!

uh oh, someone call spitz the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gold Member

Hasn't the OP just spoiled it for those on the West Coast?

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by gogodancer View Post
    Didn't he win by something like 1/100th of a second? I know he's the winner and all, but it seems kind of insignificant when you look at it that way.
    I feel you, especially in an individual event (like fish/Phelps' butterfly win). However, in a medley comp, with 4 swimers in 4 strokes, this seems expected.

Also, this contest was clear---USA won.

The butterfly individ was the REAL nail biter.
    "We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Hasn't the OP just spoiled it for those on the West Coast?
    I feel sheepish...Honestly, I thought they ran events like these simultaneously across the globe. If I spoiled this, I sincerely apologize!!!!

Gold Member

People lose by that fraction too. The level of competition just gets raised again and again. Races - at least between the top couple - are often much closer than they used to be and without the high-tech timers and cameras, many races would be too close to call.

Plus, Phelps closest win was especially impressive - the silver medalist tried to ride a single stroke to the wall. Phelps decided to take another stroke to give himself a push, pulled his arms back and got the extra momentum to touch first. It wasn't pure muscle - he swam smart too.

He went 8 for 8, getting world records in 4 of the 5 individual. That's super studly.
    Last edited by cherrybaby; August 16th, 2008 at 11:04 PM.

I'd hate to try it! And aske the French guy how insignificant it was!
    A win is a win is a win!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

The passing of an era, I loved Mark Spitz.. everyone did. He was major hot. No special swim suits or swim caps just jump in the pool and swim. It was bound to happen but it took 36 years.

congrats Michael, both the record holder and the record breaker are two very classy and gracious people.

Quote Originally Posted by gossip_moll View Post
    I feel sheepish...Honestly, I thought they ran events like these simultaneously across the globe. If I spoiled this, I sincerely apologize!!!!
    Easily fixable. Just click on edit and tweak your title a bit to take out the revealing parts. Type *spoiler* in there and click save. Viola, disaster averted.

Michael Phelps is pretty damn impressive. I really wanted Dara Torres to win gold tonight too, though.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

So Phelps actually did it, huh? Good for him. Guess all of the hip-hop music he listens to kept him pumped up.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    So Phelps actually did it, huh? Good for him. Guess all of the hip-hop music he listens to kept him pumped up.
    I'd like his list! He always seems fixed on it-then wins!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information