Thread: Swedish wrestler stripped of bronze medal for acting like a brat

Default Swedish wrestler stripped of bronze medal for acting like a brat

Swedish wrestler stripped of bronze medal

BEIJING (AP)—A Swedish wrestler was disqualified and stripped of his bronze medal Saturday for dropping the prize in protest after a disputed loss at the Beijing Olympics.
    Ara Abrahamian was punished by the International Olympic Committee for violating the spirit of fair play during the medal ceremony, becoming the fourth athlete kicked out of the games and bringing the number of medals removed to three.
    Abrahamian became incensed when a disputed penalty call decided his semifinal match against Italian Andrea Minguzzi, who went on to win the gold medal in the Greco-Roman 84-kilogram division Thursday.
    During the medal ceremony, the Armenian-born Abrahamian—who also lost a 2004 Olympic semifinal match on a disputed call—took the bronze from around his neck and, angrily, dropped it on the mat as he walked away. He did not take part in the rest of the medal ceremony.

The IOC executive board ruled Abrahamian’s actions amounted to a political demonstration and a mark of disrespect to his fellow athletes.
    “It was felt that his behavior on the medal podium and during the medal ceremony was not appropriate,” IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. “His behavior was not in the Olympic spirit of respect for his fellow athletes. Whatever grievances you may have, this was not the way to go about it.”
    The IOC said no athlete will receive Abrahamian’s medal because his disqualification was not connected to the competition itself, meaning there will be only one bronze medalist, Nazmi Avluca of Turkey. Normally, there are two at each weight class.
    The 28-year-old Abrahamian had to be restrained from going after matside officials following his loss to Minguzzi. He stormed away from the area where interviews are conducted and slammed a door to the dressing rooms so hard it shook an entire wall. He weighed whether to skip the bronze medal match, only to have friends talk him into competing.
    The IOC said Abrahamian violated two rules of the Olympic charter, one which bans any sort of demonstrations and another which demands respect for all Olympic athletes.
    “The awards ceremony is a highly symbolic ritual, acknowledged as such by all athletes and other participants,” the IOC said. “Any disruption by any athlete, in particular a medalist, is in itself an insult to the other athletes and to the Olympic Movement. It is also contrary to the spirit of fair play.”
    Abrahamian never expressed regret or offered an apology, the IOC said. The international wrestling federation was asked to consider any further sanctions against the two-time world champion.
    His medal was the third stripped at the Beijing Games so far.
    On Friday, North Korean shooter Kim Jong Su had his silver and bronze medals taken away after failing a doping test. Also expelled for doping violations have been Spanish cyclist Maria Isabel Moreno and Vietnamese gymnast Thi Ngan Thuong Do.
    Abrahamian’s case is not the first of its kind.
    A weightlifter at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics was stripped of his bronze medal after rejecting it during the medal ceremony. Ibragim Samadov, competing in the light heavyweight category for the Unified Team of the former Soviet Union, was upset with his performance and refused to have the medal placed around his neck and only accepted it in his hand. He then put it down and walked off.
    Samadov later apologized, but the IOC decision upheld its decision to disqualify him. He later was banned for life by the sport’s governing body.

good, now when will the women's (or little girls I should say) gymnasts from China be stripped of theirs?

I know, that littlest one looks like she's 8!

Interesting about the wrestling guy's pissy-pants behavior. Maybe it's the steroids? Seriously though, the fact that athletes get caught doping at all makes me think they thought they were going to get away with it. Like they have a planned way of cheating on the drug tests only it didn't work. I wonder how many other athletes are doing the same and just not getting caught?

Good - he's a dumbass. How many athletes would kill to even be at the olympics, let alone get a medal.

Those 'roids must be shrinking his brain along with his nads.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I know, that littlest one looks like she's 8!

Interesting about the wrestling guy's pissy-pants behavior. Maybe it's the steroids? Seriously though, the fact that athletes get caught doping at all makes me think they thought they were going to get away with it. Like they have a planned way of cheating on the drug tests only it didn't work. I wonder how many other athletes are doing the same and just not getting caught?
    My guess is lots of them.

A*O

More Roid Rage on show. I wonder if he was tested?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^^
    I think your avi has 'roid rage! Who the heck is that?? Makes me laugh/gag every time I see it!

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Good - he's a dumbass. How many athletes would kill to even be at the olympics, let alone get a medal.

Those 'roids must be shrinking his brain along with his nads.
    ITA What an a@@! talk about not understanding what the games are supposed to be about.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    ^^^
    I think your avi has 'roid rage! Who the heck is that?? Makes me laugh/gag every time I see it!

She's Victoria Osteen, the Stepford wife of multi millionaire TV pastor Joel Osteen of Lakewood Church in Texas (where else). She's a crazy Christian!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Its ok to cheat but dont throw a tantrum!

That was an ugly scene, he made such a fool of himself.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

KD
    Elite Member

Glad he got stripped, definately not GOOD WILL.

Throwing a temper tantrum, I can't believe it. If I had been on the podium with him, I would want a do over. Can't bask in your glory, regardless of medal, when someone is pitching a fit.

Thread Information