Thread: Bizarre Security Restrictions At Beijing Olympics

A*O

Default Bizarre Security Restrictions At Beijing Olympics

The more I read about this, the more I wonder who the hell thought it was a good idea to let the Chinese Government anywhere near this event. I predict a PR disaster for them which is the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve by pouring billions of dollars into what they confidently brag will be the best Olympics of all time.

Fears of a 'no-fun' Olympics in Beijing
    Mary-Anne Toy, Beijing
    July 19, 2008
    FEARS of a "no fun Olympics" are growing as security restrictions increase and become more bizarre with less than 20 days to go until the opening ceremony.

Beijing police have been visiting bar owners in the popular Sanlitun area and asking them to sign pledges agreeing to not serve black people or Mongolians and ban activities including dancing.

Bar owners said that police have been clamping down on black people and Mongolians, who are sometimes implicated in drug dealing and prostitution, as part of an Olympic clean-up campaign that they and locals fear will make for a secure but sterile Games.

Maggies, Beijing's most notorious expatriate bar, referred to as the "Mongolian embassy" because of its popularity with Mongolian prostitutes and Western men, was shut suddenly about two months ago after a reported murder.

The gay bar Destination has also been ordered to shut down its dance bar until further notice.

And in a separate move, the Ministry of Public Security announced at the start of the month that from October 1, discos, karaoke bars and other entertainment venues must install transparent partitions in previously private rooms, and ensure staff dress more modestly as part of an effort to crack down on prostitution and drugs.

The Minister of Culture announced on Thursday that all overseas entertainers who have ever attended activities that "threaten national sovereignty" will be banned. This follows an outburst by Icelandic singer Bjork at a Shanghai concert on March 2, which sparked an official investigation.

Bjork shouted out, "Tibet, Tibet," after performing her song Declare Independence.

A notice on the Ministry's website on Thursday said that entertainers who "threaten national unity", "whip up ethnic hatred", "violate religious policy or cultural norms" or "advocate obscenity or feudalism and superstition" will be banned. "Feudalism and superstition" are often code words used by the Chinese Government to refer to Tibetans loyal to the Dalai Lama. The move follows the detention of several prominent Tibetan singers.

Beijing CBD businesses are reporting increasingly bizarre restrictions on couriers. This includes a ban on transporting CD-ROMs through the city, and mobile phones or GPS devices can only be sent if their batteries are delivered separately. This is on top of postal restrictions on sending liquids and powders.

At least six big bars and restaurants inside the Beijing Workers' Stadium compound - where Olympic soccer matches will be held - have been ordered to shut ahead of the Olympics and during Games time.

Hundreds of armed checkpoints on the main roads coming into Beijing were introduced two weeks ago, and non-Beijing-registered vehicles have been banned until after the Olympics, a move that is causing massive delays and extra costs for businesses.
    And

ALL banners and large flags have been banned from Beijing Olympic venues as the Chinese Government seeks to further restrict public free speech during next month's Games.

The unprecedented move drew an angry response from Australian athletes and their supporters, and came as a surprise to the Australian Olympic Committee.

Any statements deemed political such as those relating to Tibet, Falun Gong, environmental concerns or human rights were already banned from being displayed on banners or clothing at Games venues. But rules issued yesterday by organising committee BOCOG take the prohibition much further.

"Banners, such as those saying 'Go China', will not be allowed in Olympic venues," state-run news agency Xinhua reported. "While such posters have been frequently seen during the Olympic torch global relay, the tendentious banners violate the fairness principle of an Olympic event, according to Olympic venue rules."

The new controls ban any flags larger than two metres by one metre and those that do not belong to "participating members" of the Games.

Musical instruments, whistles and flash photography have also been banned. Supporters will be searched at venues and all banners will be confiscated.

Australian Olympic swimmer Craig Stevens said: "It's just going over the top. The rules are just getting stricter and stupider. I'm not sure who is making the rules, but it is obviously not someone who has been to an event like this before."

The Australian Olympic Committee was seeking clarification from the International Olympic Committee last night about the rules. Spokesman Mike Tancred said he believed the change would not affect the team's preparations.

About 1000 flags have already been shipped to Beijing by the AOC. Mr Tancred said he did not believe the shipment would be a problem because the flags were much smaller than the limit set by BOCOG.

"I'm surprised by that (the prohibition on banners) because that's what Australians tend to do," he said. "But they are China's Games and we have to abide by the rules and restrictions they impose."

Colette Rickard, co-ordinator of the parents of Olympic swimmers group and mother of Olympian Brenton Rickard, said the news was disappointing. "We are sitting up in the heavens and there's no way they'll be able to see or hear us," she said. "It sounds like they (the Chinese) are trying to protect themselves and make sure there's no Free Tibet banners or anything."

Amnesty International China campaigner Sophie Peer said: "It's just a further attempt to erode freedom of expression. We have known for some time China was cracking down on its citizens in the lead-up to the Games and now we see this being extended to visitors and athletes."

David French, the father of Olympic cyclist Mark French, said: "(The ban) means you can't identify your support for a racer. From our point of view it is certainly an overreaction compared to what you are allowed to do at other venues."
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

It's all so freaking weird - the Chinese really don't understand Political Correctness at all, lol.

such a fun society. really.

So who's going?

Nobody? Cool.

Maybe they could redirect some of the money they spent on all the olympic stadiums to BUILD SOME FUCKING HOUSES TO CODE SO THEY DONT FALL ON PEOPLE DURING EARTHQUAKES YOU CHEAP FUCKERS
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Nobody is going apart from the teams and their hangers on. Hotel rooms are still freely available 20 days before the opening ceremony. Like I say, an embarrassing PR disaster for the Chinese Government and as losing face is about the worst thing that can happen in that culture it will be interesting to see how they punish their people for 'failing' like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

What a mess. I have absolutely no interest in watching the Olympics this year.
    ssabmud

A*O

More nonsense from the Chinese Government. They really don't get it do they? If the Olympic Committee hoped that awarding China the games would force the government to change it's ways they were badly mistaken.

Exodus on main street: China's clean-up begins
    Mary-Anne Toy, Beijing
    July 22, 2008

Paramilitary policemen in front of the main Olympic stadium are part of a clampdown as Beijing gets ready to welcome the world. Photo: Reuters

THE clean-up of Beijing's streets has begun in earnest. Not just rubbish, but unwanted people who could be a source of embarrassment for the Chinese Government as the world arrives for the Olympics.

About 10 kilometres south of the Olympic Green, where thousands of smiling volunteers and officials are waiting to greet the first wave of tourists, hundreds of so-called "petitioners" who had journeyed to the capital to complain about corruption or other injustices were removed on buses yesterday.

Last Wednesday, when The Age visited this same petition office, up to 500 complainants from around the nation were queueing in a largely peaceful atmosphere under the watch of half a dozen young policemen. An older officer in a golf cart moved down the queue, patiently copping abuse from people angry about delays. The Age was able to interview people discreetly.

Yesterday the office was almost deserted and the atmosphere was tense. When The Age arrived soon after 11am, we saw why: two busloads of petitioners were being driven away as part of the Olympic clean-out of potential troublemakers.

A Hunan provincial official, sent to Beijing to identify and bring back Hunan petitioners, said proudly that six busloads of people had already been taken away that morning.

As The Age tried to interview the few dozen die-hard protesters remaining on the footpath, plain-clothes security men and uniformed police intervened repeatedly - in flagrant breach of China's Olympic pledge to allow foreign reporters to work freely.

Age photographer John Donegan was detained by two policemen as he stepped out of a taxi. Another officer filmed him while police were interrogating him.

A burly man in a striped T-shirt physically forced The Age's Chinese translator into the security guard's office and tried to close the door when we began asking questions.

The man, who refused to identify himself, said repeatedly that we should "go and look at the many Olympic venues" instead.

"These are conflicts among the Chinese people … We can solve them ourselves, you shouldn't talk to foreigners," the man told our Chinese assistant.

A female petitioner outside told us the crackdown had begun that morning, before the man in the striped shirt, who had followed us out, and other plain-clothes security officers intervened again.

Another woman, sitting in the gutter with her son, a laid-off soldier, said she was there to complain about the authorities failing to find her son a new job, before she too was moved on by security men who told her: "Leave here, don't stay here."

Two uniformed local police officers then politely asked us for our identification, confirmed it was lawful for us to be here but would do nothing to stop the plain-clothes men interfering with our interviews or intimidating petitioners.

While the petitioners were being bussed away in Beijing, two explosions on public buses in Kunming, the capital of the south-western province of Yunnan, left two dead and 14 injured. The explosions followed the fatal shooting by police of two protesters on Saturday during a riot by 400 rubber farmers in another part of Yunnan.

The incidents are the latest in a series of conflicts that authorities are worried will cause China to lose face when it fulfils its century-long dream of hosting the Olympics. Monday's bus explosions, which police say were deliberately caused, follows the execution of several alleged Muslim separatists in western Xinjiang province and several other riots across the country, including one in Guizhou last month that involved 30,000 people, all angry at alleged Communist Party and police corruption and collusion over the death of a teenage girl.

The Washington Post reported at the weekend that the local government in Yengishahar province had bussed several thousand students and office workers into a public square on July 9 and lined them up in front of a vocational school to watch the execution of three prisoners.

An execution squad fired rifles at the three, killing them on the spot.

The young men had been convicted of having connections to terrorist plots, which authorities said were part of a campaign aimed at disrupting the Olympics by the East Turkestan Islamic Movement, an underground separatist organisation in the vast Xinjiang region of western China, the Washington Post said.

The group has long fought for independence on behalf of the region's Muslim Uighur inhabitants
    Dame Edna Everage

The Minister of Culture announced on Thursday that all overseas entertainers who have ever attended activities that "threaten national sovereignty" will be banned. This follows an outburst by Icelandic singer Bjork at a Shanghai concert on March 2, which sparked an official investigation.

Bjork shouted out, "Tibet, Tibet," after performing her song Declare Independence.
    Go Bjork! Four syllables that launched an official investigation. That's some pretty threatening stuff there.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

are we having fun yet?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I am. But I'm not in China.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

^ seriously...this is strange

Silver Member

Thumbs down

men's water polo and men's swimming and men's track and field

little tight suit and hot wet bodies

no jock straps under running shorts

i would banned from china

and the divers. I love divers' bodies. Mmmmmm.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^ i've never noticed divers? i will start paying attn

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

There are blacks in China? Did I miss the memo?

Thread Information