Thread: Andy Murray storms through to the quarter-finals at Wimbledon

Thumbs up Andy Murray storms through to the quarter-finals at Wimbledon

It was the day Andy Murray took over from Tim Henman as the British public's tormentor in chief.
    After a roller-coaster fourth-round battle against Frenchman Richard Gasquet, the 21-year- old Scot emerged victorious in five sets.
    He celebrated by rolling back his shirt sleeve to reveal a bulging bicep, Popeye style.

Andy Murray reacts during his match against Richard Gasquet at Wimbledon
    It could have been Henman himself setting the nation to biting its fingernails as Murray lost the first two sets before coming back with a barnstorming recovery to take the match 5-7, 3-6, 7-6, 6-3, 6-4.
    Until now, the Wimbledon public have failed to warm to the dour Murray in the same way they supported the nowretired Tiger Tim.
    But yesterday the Centre Court crowd took him fully to their hearts, responding in kind to his repeated roars of 'Come on!' even though he was warned for bad language in the first set.

Andy Murray celebrates winning the men's singles round four match against Richard Gasquet
    It was the same story on Henman Hill, where fans without Centre Court tickets sit in front of a big screen to cheer on their hero.
    Jane Anders, 27, of Folkestone in Kent, said: 'I think it's just taken a bit of time to warm to him. But everyone got behind him. We were all on the edge of our seats.'

As darkness began to fall the tension became unbearable as became a race against time to finish the match.
    After his victory in the half-light, Murray applauded the crowd before saying: 'It was tough.
    'Right there is the best moment I've ever had on a tennis court. I looked like I was down and out.'
    Enlarge
    Murray's mum Judy and girlfriend Kim Sears celebrate after his win
    Of the astonishing support from the crowd, he said: 'I am sure they were nervous but they got behind me when I really needed it, especially in the third set tie-breaker.

I would like to say thanks to everyone for the support. It was an awesome feeling.

'I just had to try and keep fighting.'
    Murray now looks to his toughest challenge yet - a quarter final against the World Number Two Spaniard Rafael Nadal tomorrow.
    With his confidence at an alltime high, no one is writing him off.

Andy Murray celebrates winning the men's singles round four match against Richard Gasquet
    He said that in past defeats by Nadal he had chances to win and, if he could serve well, he was sure he could now beat him.
    And if he gets past Nadal, his route to the final would be relatively straight forward with ties against a player seeded lower than him - either Germany's Rainer Schuettler, ranked 94th or Frenchman Arnaud Clemant, ranked 145.
    The last time Britain was represented in the men's singles final was Bunny Austin in 1938 - when Neville Chamberlain was Prime Minister.

Murray had been two sets down to Gasquet before his astonishing comeback
    Murray's astonishing victory came amid a 'favouritism' row after he was placed on Centre Court for the fourth consecutive time.
    This was blamed on schedulers from the BBC wanting the British number one to play on a top court and put on as late as possible to secure prime-time TV audiences.
    Enlarge
    Winner Murray shows the Centre Court crowds what he is made of
    By contrast, defending ladies' champion Venus Williams and her sister Serena found themselves relegated to the far less prestigious Court Two.

Most angry was world number three Jelena Jankovic from Serbia, who blasted tournament organisers for relegating her to Court 18 - where she lost her fourth-round match to Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn, who is ranked 60 in the world.
    Miss Jankovic, 23, said: 'The scheduling was not made in a good way. I don't know what they are doing, to put Venus on number two and I'm on number 18, especially having an injury and asking for a favour to play a little bit later on in the day.

What a feeling: Murray is through to the fifth round for the first time in his career

Mighty Murray wins the heart of Centre Court in his rollercoaster ride to victory at Wimbledon | Mail Online

i like Andy. he had the balls to call out the UK's treatment of up and coming tennis players. good for him. He wont beat my Rafa, but that is ok, he's still a force.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information