Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Derby runner up is euthanized on the track after breaking ankles

Unhappy Kentucky Derby runner up is euthanized on the track after breaking ankles

Big Brown wins tragic 134th Kentucky Derby
    Filly Eight Belles finishes second but is euthanized after breaking ankles

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Big Brown backed up his trainer’s boasts with an explosive finishing kick and won the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.

But the cheers of the crowd were cut short when the filly Eight Belles, who finished second, was euthanized on the track minutes after the race with a fatal injury.

Big Brown went off as a 5-2 favorite for the $2 million Derby, having won all three of his races by a combined 29 lengths. He didn’t race as a 2-year-old, challenging the notion that young colts need plenty of seasoning before trying the Derby. Trainer Rick Dutrow spoke glowingly of the horse prior to the Derby, saying, "He’s a dream come true, seems like he was born for this track."

Colonel John was the 9-2 second choice, but had never before run a dirt track. Pyro was third among betting favorites at 6-1.

Eight Belles was bidding to become the fourth filly ever to capture the Derby, and the first since Winning Colors in 1988. She had never run against the boys before. The filly was hurt in the race and collapsed on the track at the finish.

After a soaking ran on Friday and early Saturday, the sun broke through this morning, giving way to a mix of white clouds and blue skies at Churchill Downs. Strong wind also factored into the track conditions.

The field of 20 contained several longshots including Z Humor, who went off under the longest odds at 67-1.

Last year's Kentucky Derby was won by Street Sense. The colt, ridden by Calvin Borel, became only the third favorite to win the Derby since 1979.

© 2008 NBC Sports.com
    Big Brown wins tragic 134th Kentucky Derby - Horse Racing - nbcsports.msnbc.com
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

We just turned it on and missed the actual race and 'situation' after, but they were talking about it. It was hard to follow if you didn't know or see it...

Too bad. Must be incredibly hard for the trainers/jockey's/handlers/owners of this horse. Can you imagine????

Sad.

A*O

The owners/trainers/jockeys don't give a crap about the horse as a living creature, they care about how much money it will earn them. They are 'sad' because they lose a money spinner. Do you have any idea how many race horses that don't make the grade are turned into dog food every year?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thumbs down

Some "sport" this is

^^Agreed. I hate horse racing. I think it is cruel and abusive to the horses. Same thing with dog racing.

Aye, hate greyhound racing too

Oh come on! You don't think the people that are in the trenches actually have FEELINGS about the horse? Please!

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Call me Pollyanna but I honestly believe the Jockey's and Trainers do have feelings for the horses.

I remember when Barbaro was hurt you could see how visibly upset his Jockey was.

I do agree that money is a big factor but to say that they don't get attached to the animals at all may be a stretch.

i watched this, and it broke my heart. they were just galloping the horse down after the race. they need to get rid of the crap those horses run on and use the artificial surfaces for them. it seems to cut down on the injuries. its still very sad.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i watched this, and it broke my heart. they were just galloping the horse down after the race. they need to get rid of the crap those horses run on and use the artificial surfaces for them. it seems to cut down on the injuries. its still very sad.
    She was the most beautiful fillie. I do not understand, even watching the replays how this happened. She was running full out and passed all the boys but one. It should have beeen her time to celebrate. At no time could you see it happen-not like poor Barbaro. Maybe this will change now & they will use artificial turf.

To those that think these horses aren't loved,watch the pre show in 2 weeks for the Preakness. Those horses are pampered,loved,watched over night and day-they are like show dogs of the dog world. They are not treated like poor greyhounds at all. I guess I have been around too many horse owners and to be fair,my first cousin is a horse trainer in Arkansas right now. His horses go all over and he worries & frets over everyone. If one gets the equivent of a horsey sniffle, there will be no rest for anyone-owner,vet,trainer,stable hands. They all hover. You have to be careful, because if you say how are the horses doing? you had best have extra time to hear! They are his life-bread & butter bedamned. They would all do it for free!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Not saying 'horsey' people have hearts of stone at all BUT horseracing is a huge multi-billion dollar industry and the money is generated by those fragile creatures on 4 horribly fragile legs. Of course they are pampered and cared for like VIPs because that's what they are. No horse, no money, no industry.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Can anyone tell me why the horse had to be euthanized because of fractures? Couldn't it have been kept at a stable as a pet or such?

Are fractures in horses legs like death sentences?
    ssabmud

I don't think it's fair or accurate to paint every single owner/trainer/jockey in the industry with the same brush, unless you've met them all. I live in a horseracing town, and grew up with people whose families were in the industry, and they all struck me as caring for the horses very much. As for racing being cruel to the horses, it's my understanding that thoroughbreds love to race, and they're very well cared for. Like it or not, we live in a world where people use animals for all kinds of things, and sometimes it doesn't end well for the animal. Personally, if I were an animal, I'd much rather be a race horse than a cow or a chicken or pretty much any animal being bred for meat or fur.

eta: Cckissesx, I'm not a horse person and I'm sure lots of people on here know more than me, but the way it's been explained to me over the years is that fractures like these can't be fixed, and the ones that might be able to be set usually don't heal, and the animal suffers.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

What I understand about why horses with leg injuries often have to be put down is that because they weigh so much, they aren't able to lay down for extended periods of time or their weight will fight against their ability to breathe and may crush their other organs.

If they stand, they will begin to put more weight on their other legs to compensate for the injured leg(s), which can eventually damage the good legs.

It's a devastating injury.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Fucking ridiculous. Who gives a shit whether the horses, trainer's, or fuck-all had "feelings" for the horse? Someone explain to me how it is moral or ethical to force animals into inherently dangerous activities for our entertainment.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information