Default Workers find Red Sox jersey buried in new Yankee stadium

NY Yankees unearth buried Red Sox jersey from new stadium

Frank Gramarossa, project exec…
    AP - Apr 13, 3:28 pm EDT

Construction workers try to fr…
    AP - Apr 13, 3:24 pm EDT

A Boston Red Sox jersey with t…
    AP - Apr 13, 3:23 pm EDT

• worker’s bid to curse the New York Yankees by planting a Boston Red Sox jersey in their new stadium was foiled Sunday when the home team removed the offending shirt from its burial spot.

After locating the shirt in a service corridor behind what will be a restaurant in the new Yankee Stadium, construction workers jackhammered through the concrete Sunday and pulled it out.
    The team said it learned that a Sox-rooting construction worker had buried a shirt in the new Bronx stadium, which will open next year across the street from the current ballpark, from a report in the New York Post on Friday.
    Yankees President Randy Levine said team officials at first considered leaving the shirt where it was.
    “The first thought was, you know, it’s never a good thing to be buried in cement when you’re in New York,” Levine said. “But then we decided, why reward somebody who had really bad motives and was trying to do a really bad thing?”

On Saturday, construction workers who remembered the employee, Gino Castignoli, phoned in tips about the shirt’s location.
    r construction. " src="http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080413/capt.874aab14cd2742758d324726bb0ba9e4.yankees_curs e_foiled_baseball_nyfr103.jpg?x=180&y=200&xc=1&yc= 1&wc=279&hc=310&q=70&sig=GPZiK0jvz9X6OvsASL6isg--" width=180>

“We had anonymous people come tell us where it was, and we were able to find it,” said Frank Gramarossa, a project executive with Turner Construction, the general contractor on the site.
    It took about five hours of drilling Saturday to locate the shirt under 2 feet of concrete, he said.
    On Sunday, Levine and Yankees CEO Lonn Trost watched as Gramarossa and foreman Rich Corrado finished the job and pulled the shirt from the rubble.
    In shreds from the jackhammers, the shirt still bore the letters “Red Sox” on the front. It was a David Ortiz jersey, No. 34.
    Trost said the Yankees had discussed possible criminal charges against Castignoli with the district attorney’s office.
    “We will take appropriate action since fortunately we do know the name of the individual,” he said.
    A woman who answered the phone at Castignoli’s home in the Bronx on Sunday said he was not there.
    A spokesman for Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson said Sunday he did not know whether any criminal charges might apply.
    Levine said the shirt would be cleaned up and sent to the Jimmy Fund, a charity affiliated with Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
    “Hopefully the Jimmy Fund will auction it off and we’ll take the act that was a very, very bad act and turn it into something beautiful,” he said.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

OK, maybe I'm just being a brat. I honestly don't see what criminal charges could be used. The guy said it didn't interfere with the structural integrity of the building at all. To me it's the same as someone writing their initials in wet cement.

Part of me thinks it's kinda funny....but then again, I don't really care one way or another about baseball in general.

I heard about this story. Even after winning two World Series in less than 5 years some Red Sox fans are still in fear of the Yankees. (Not you, Deb).

Shouldn't the jersey have contained a body for the curse to be effective?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I heard about this story. Even after winning two World Series in less than 5 years some Red Sox fans are still in fear of the Yankees. (Not you, Deb).
    i think now that they 'freed' the Jersey, Papi will come out of his 3 for 47 slump.
    Last edited by msdeb; April 14th, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

they freed the jersey, and Papi goes 2 for 5. slump over? could beeeee
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information