Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger Clemens shelled by Congress

Default Roger Clemens shelled by Congress

Clemens shelled by Congress - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

(Any minute now, waiting for the "heartfelt and tear filled apology" for "letting down his fans" and if he ever "hurt anyone" by his actions, blah blah blah blah, crocodile tears, and have people praise clemens for being "honest" and confessing his drug use.)

WASHINGTON – Question by question, disputed answer by disputed answer, Roger Clemens' house of lies came tumbling down upon him Wednesday.

Whatever Clemens thought he'd get out of turning a sporting controversy into a federal case courtesy of this congressional hearing never materialized. He scored few points while getting caught up in his own words, nonsensical logic and twisted timelines, even before his friend and former teammate Andy Pettitte laid him out. Presumably there are people in America who still believe Clemens is the only honest man in this entire sordid steroid scandal, that the entire world (friends included) decided one day to gang up and frame him, that he is just a trusting victim here, but other than those on his considerable payroll, they were hard to find anywhere near room 2154 of the Rayburn House Office Building on this cold, rainy day.

Clemens was doomed from the start, crushed by sworn affidavits and repeated under-oath testimony from Pettitte and his wife Laura – almost unimpeachable witnesses – who not only backed up the words of former trainer Brian McNamee, but blew Clemens' own stories out of the water. Congressmen Henry Waxman of California and Elijah Cummings of Maryland double-teamed Clemens early, and no amount of ensuing sympathetic lawmakers, McNamee creepiness or Clemens campaign speeches could bail him out.
    "I found McNamee very credible," Waxman said after the hearing. "I thought what he said had a lot of credibility."

Clemens is almost assuredly going to face federal perjury charges after he continued to stick to a story that stood in stark contrast with repeated under-oath testimony of everyone else. Once the Pettittes – and former teammate Chuck Knoblauch – backed McNamee's word over Clemens', this was no longer about he said, he said.
    This was he said, everyone said.
    "You understand you're under oath," Cummings kept asking Clemens, almost dumbfounded that the pitcher could be so brazen under oath.
    What else could Cummings do? It was stunning to watch Clemens hang himself, trying to worm his way out from under Pettitte's testimony.
    "I'm looking for an independent source to tell me what to believe," Cummings said. "There are a number of things that make (Pettitte's) testimony swing the balance over to Mr. McNamee. And a number of them come from your own words."
    It was one thing for Clemens to attack the credibility of McNamee, who has his own ethical issues, but Pettitte testified not only about his own drug use. Just for honesty's sake, he admitted a few more things, and thereby became unassailable.
    Clemens could only offer that Pettitte must have "misheard" or "misremembered" the detailed account Pettitte gave about Clemens telling him that he took HGH. But he had no answer for the fact that Pettitte's wife, in a sworn affidavit, said that her husband told her of the conversations at that time and the stories haven't changed.
    It was a double barrel shot of destruction, the Pettittes asserting that their close friend was now not just a cheat, but a liar.
    Clemens had nothing, just pathetic ramblings about how he was a great American for pitching at the Olympics, how if he was guilty of anything it was "being too nice," and throwing everyone from his agents, to his mother, to his wife under the bus of blame.
    According to Clemens, this was just one big conspiracy, apparently. But he looked like a guy who's been surrounded by yes men for decades, someone so removed from reality he figured he could come to Capitol Hill, talk loud, and everyone would nod and leave him alone.
    Only a couple of our most inane lawmakers bought any part of his nonsense defense.
    His factual arguments were particularly ridiculous. He claimed Pettitte must be confused, because if Pettitte really thought Clemens had used HGH, he would have come and asked Clemens about the drug before taking it himself.
    But Pettitte did think Clemens was using HGH and didn't discuss it with Clemens.
    Cummings pointed out the failed logic behind that argument. Only to have Clemens repeat it a couple more times.
    When Clemens claimed McNamee lied to save himself from prosecution, Cummings pointed out that McNamee told Pettitte about Clemens' drug use in 2002, which means he would have been predicting the future. How is that possible?
    "I don’t know," Clemens said.
    It was all he had, like a struggling pitcher waiting for a bullpen to come save him.
    "It's hard to believe you, sir," Cummings said. "It's hard to say that; you are one of my heroes. But it's hard to believe you."
    And Rep. Mark Souder after the hearings: "I found Clemens almost as believable as Rafael Palmeiro."
    The lengthy hearings were predictably foolish and distracted at times, unnecessary tangents explored for no apparent reason.
    In classic Washington fashion, things occasionally broke along partisan lines. Somehow Republicans and Democrats around here can't agree on anything, even the circumstances surrounding the formation of a "palpable mass" on Clemens' backside.
    Clemens' best moments came when McNamee was skewered for his tendency to lie – mostly to newspaper reporters. But even that was Washington gumption; the idea that politicians should lecture anyone about telling the truth is absurd.
    The most vocal grandstander was Rep. Dan Burton of rural Indiana, who absolutely skewered McNamee.
    "This is really disgusting," Burton said. "I don't know what to believe. I know what I don't believe and that's you."
    Strong words from a guy who while cheating on his wife knocked up his girlfriend and went years without visiting his son (though he was kind enough to cut him some checks).
    But that's America and this is its pastime.
    One of Clemens' chief problems was he was fighting on difficult ground. The contested points of his story centered on whether he took performance enhancing drugs, whether he told people he took them, whether he participated in witness tampering and whether he changed his under oath stories. These all were the heart of the matter here.
    For McNamee, the debate was about whether he accurately remembered whether Clemens was at a party at Jose Canseco's house, a fairly unimportant detail, or whether he told tales in the newspapers, which is not a crime.
    Clemens could never counter why McNamee was telling the truth about Pettitte and Knoblauch, but lying about him. Or why Pettitte was lying at all.
    "Andy would have no reason to (lie)," Clemens said. "He's my friend." Since everyone here acknowledged that one side must be lying and no one thought it was Pettitte, guess who that left with a self-imposed, ill-fated and unnecessary perjury charge on the horizon?

It was so sweet to see this entitled, arrogant, overly-privileged ass taken down a notch.

The most vocal grandstander was Rep. Dan Burton of rural Indiana, who absolutely skewered McNamee.
    "This is really disgusting," Burton said. "I don't know what to believe. I know what I don't believe and that's you."
    Strong words from a guy who while cheating on his wife knocked up his girlfriend and went years without visiting his son (though he was kind enough to cut him some checks).
    BWA HA HA HA HA!
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

I know what I believe....
    These assholes make millions. They should have to take drugs to make them the best they can be; they should earn that money and give us the best entertainment while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    These assholes make millions. They should have to take drugs to make them the best they can be; they should earn that money and give us the best entertainment while doing it.
    You say this as a joke, but I dunno: I think you have a good idea there.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

^ I say it as a joke but I actually believe it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I know what I believe....
    Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    You say this as a joke, but I dunno: I think you have a good idea there.
    The problem with that idea is that while steroids pump up your abilites they cause all kinds of health problems and can even kill you. And while that risk might be good for the pro athletes, who are adults, it sends a bad message to the H.S. athletes who think steroids are the way to go, and they don't get paid millions of dollars.

On a sidenote, I'm happy Clemens is getting what's coming to him. Now, baseball has it's white Barry Bonds, and people can stop acting like Bonds is the only Juicehead. And even though Clemens is perjuring himself under oath, he'll probably get a pardon since he and Bush are friends.

the guy on sports radio here is having a field day with this. such as, Roger Clemens, pretty much earns 28 million for FOUR MONTHS OF WORK. just ridiculous. Andy Pettite threw him under the bus and testified against him. Roger truly believes he is innocent. whether he is or not, is another story. eventually they will all go the way of Ken Caminiti. 28 million for 4 mo of work. fuck them all.
    GO RED SOX
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^I'm glad Andy testified against Clemens, because Clemens threw him under the bus during his 60 Minutes interview.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^I'm glad Andy testified against Clemens, because Clemens threw him under the bus during his 60 Minutes interview.
    karma ran over his dogma
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    karma ran over his dogma
    With a needle in the ass.

I thought Clemens is the one who wanted to make the appearances that skewered him, but his camp is now saying that's not the case?

Gold Member

With all of the problems this country has today, I wonder why Congress is taking time to investigate one man's steroid use. If it was a hearing on the culture of steroids in baseball, and how better drug testing could be implemented to change that, I could maybe understand, but why the witchhunt? Hundreds abused steroids. It wasn't just Clemens or Bonds, although they seem to receive the most attention because they are the most famous.

I do think Clemens comes across as an ass in this whole saga. He seems like such a pompous self-righteous jerk. Why would his trainer lie about injecting him and only him with steroids? His trainer named Pettitte, Knobloch, and Clemens' wife (which I find hilarious), and all have admitted to HGH use, but McNamee is lying about Roger? I just don't believe it. Clemens is not even a good liar. It was obvious he was lying during the whole hearing, which may not be smart, because now he could face perjury charges and jail time, just like Bonds. I also find it disgusting how Clemens has thrown his wife, his agents, his nanny, anyone close to him under the bus in his desperate effort to clear his name and save his HOF chances.

^^Clemens and Bonds are both assholes. They both used steroids, and then arrogantly lied about it. Now that it's blowing up in their faces, they want people to feel sorry for them.

And while I think Congress should be investigating the dangers of steroids in pro sports, like Bill Maher said they should also be investigating what happened to the $9 billion dollars that mysteriously vanished in Iraq.

^^Clemens and Bonds are both assholes. They both used steroids, and then arrogantly lied about it. Now that it's blowing up in their faces, they want people to feel sorry for them.

And while I think Congress should be investigating the dangers of steroids in pro sports, like Bill Maher said they should also be investigating what happened to the $9 billion dollars that mysteriously vanished in Iraq.

Hear Hear!!!!!!!!

You're right about all of it, both Bonds and Clemens (and any other of these juiceheads), and what should be investigated.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

The problem with that idea is that while steroids pump up your abilites they cause all kinds of health problems and can even kill you. And while that risk might be good for the pro athletes, who are adults, it sends a bad message to the H.S. athletes who think steroids are the way to go, and they don't get paid millions of dollars.

On a sidenote, I'm happy Clemens is getting what's coming to him. Now, baseball has it's white Barry Bonds, and people can stop acting like Bonds is the only Juicehead. And even though Clemens is perjuring himself under oath, he'll probably get a pardon since he and Bush are friends.
    A lot of jobs can kill you. They make enough money to be happy the years they do live.

Their parents need to raise them and not Clemens or any other sports icon. Also, if they can't afford it then there isn't a problem because they can't obtain them.
    Last edited by Sweetie; February 19th, 2008 at 10:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information