Thread: Marion Jones sentenced to 6 months in prison

Default Marion Jones sentenced to 6 months in prison

FOX Sports on MSN - - Jones sentenced to six months in prison

Jones sentenced to six months in prison
    Associated Press

Updated: January 11, 2008, 1:56 PM EST

Marion Jones was sentenced Friday to six months in prison for lying about using steroids and a check-fraud scam, despite beseeching the judge that she not be separated from her two young children "even for a short period of time."
    "I ask you to be as merciful as a human being can be," said Jones, who cried on her husband's shoulder after she was sentenced.

The disgraced former Olympic champion was ordered to surrender March 11 to begin her term.

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas said he gave her the maximum under the plea deal to send a message to athletes who have abused drugs and overlooked the values of "hard work, dedication, teamwork and sportsmanship."

"Athletes in society have an elevated status, they entertain, they inspire, and perhaps, most important, they serve as role models," Karas said.

Later Friday, Karas was to sentence Jones' former coach, Olympic champion Steve Riddick, who was convicted in the check-fraud scam.

The 31-year-old Jones also was given two years' probation and supervised release, during which she will be required to perform 800 hours of community service.

"As everyone can imagine, I'm very disappointed today," Jones told reporters outside court. "But as I stood in front of all of you for years in victory, I stand in front of you today. I stand for what is right."

"I respect the judge's order, and I truly hope that people will learn from my mistakes," added Jones.

The judge said Jones' community service requirement would take advantage of her "eloquence, strength and her ability to work with kids."

It was her children that worried Jones as she pleaded for a lighter sentence, talking at length about her two boys, including the infant son she's still nursing.

"My passion in life has always been my family," Jones said. "I know the day is quickly approaching when my boys ask me about these current events. I intend to be honest and forthright ... and guide them into not making the same mistakes."

The sentence completes a stunning fall for the woman who was once the most celebrated female athlete in the world. She won three gold and two bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

After long denying she ever had used performance-enhancing drugs, Jones admitted last October she lied to federal investigators in November 2003, acknowledging she took the designer steroid "the clear" from September 2000 to July 2001. "The clear" has been linked to BALCO, the lab at the center of the steroids scandal in professional sports.

She also admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son Monty, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks. Montgomery and several others have been convicted in that scam.

"The revelation that one of the sport's biggest stars took performance-enhancing drugs and repeatedly lied about it, in addition to being a party to fraud, has no silver lining," USA Track & Field president Bill Roe and CEO Craig Masback said in a statement. "But, it is a vivid morality play that graphically illustrates the wages of cheating in any facet of life, on or off the track."

After her guilty pleas last October, Jones made an apologetic and teary-eyed statement outside court, saying, "It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust."

"I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me," she added. "I have let (my family) down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down. ... I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative founder Victor Conte, who served four months in prison after pleading guilty to operating a steroids distribution ring, said Friday he felt sad for Jones and her family.

"Marion did make some very poor choices, and she does deserve serious consequences. I certainly don't condone her repeated lies," Conte said in a statement. "There is no doubt in my mind that she has learned gigantic lessons. Hopefully, she will be able to serve as an example and help others to make good decisions."

Jones returned her Olympic medals golds in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 1,600-meter relay and bronzes in the long jump and 400-meter relay even before the International Olympic Committee ordered her to do so and wiped her results from the books.

She was among the many athletes who testified in 2003 before a grand jury investigating BALCO. And on the day she pleaded guilty, prosecutors said a 2003 search warrant at BALCO uncovered ledgers, purchases, doping calendars, and various blood-test results connected to Jones and former coach Trevor Graham.

She took EPO, human growth hormone and THG using drops and injections, according to the court documents that show use in 2000 and 2001.

Read this article at:
    FOX Sports on MSN - - Jones sentenced to six months in prison

2008 Fox Sports Interactive

i think its a bit much for this, but hey, she lied she has to get some punishment
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

This is excessive.

ETA~ If the "crimes" were committed in 2000-2001, wouldn't the statute of limitations have run out by now? (I know, for say, rape, it's 7 years.)

The whole word knew she was doped,like all of them in that level are.
    All of them lie.
    I think is hypocritical and dishonest to make a scape goat out of her.
    Next summer in Olympics,ALL of them will be full up to the brim and all fucking sport commities KNOW.
    That is how records are done.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Wow I remember how much of a hero she was in 2000.

She deserves punishment, but what I don't know.

Boo frickety hoo, let her shed her usual crocodile tears about how "sorry" she is, she let her fans and country down, blah blah blakety blah blah.

She needs to just STFU and do the freaking time. I've had enough of these turds sanctimoniously crying up a storm when first accused of doping, denying til crap comes out of their ears, and whoa and behold, that B vitamin injection turned out to be steroids, who wudda thunk.

I hope all these liars get stiff sentences. Lying under oath is no joke, how would people feel if someone lied and accused them of a serious crime or other offenses? Lying under oath is no small joke.

boo hoo.

A*O

She's not in jail because she took drugs - she's in jail because she repeatedly LIED about taking them. There's plenty of other sports starts, not just athletes, who should be thinking long and hard about what happened to Marion.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    The whole word knew she was doped,like all of them in that level are.
    All of them lie.
    I think is hypocritical and dishonest to make a scape goat out of her.
    Next summer in Olympics,ALL of them will be full up to the brim and all fucking sport commities KNOW.
    That is how records are done.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. This is excessive and has a witch-hunt feel to it.

Ok, so a steroid user, who hurts no one but herself gets 6 months.

But Hilton and Ritchie get 24 hours in prison for driving drunk, which could kill many, including themselves?

Oh, I guess the cheque scam could hurt people...in the wallet.

Guess she's not rich enough to afford Paris and Nic's style of penance.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Holy shit! I know a guy who was convicted of
    1st degree assault and only got 2 months and probation!
    Man. You steal money, it matters more than a life.

Clinton lied to the feds...
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    Ok, so a steroid user, who hurts no one but herself gets 6 months.

But Hilton and Ritchie get 24 hours in prison for driving drunk, which could kill many, including themselves?

Oh, I guess the cheque scam could hurt people...in the wallet.

Guess she's not rich enough to afford Paris and Nic's style of penance.
    Valid points. I would think that a DUI offense would carry more gravity than a bad check/steroid use, but hey. What do I know.

I still say she is being punished excessively. She's already lost her reputation, but 6 months in prison is ridiculous.

^^I don't think it was excessive, I just think Paris/Nic shoulda been in longer, what with their extensive DUI lists and all. Oh, and Darkisthisbunny's pal shoulda been in longer too.

It used to be that harming or potentially harming others was taken seriously in America, sadly, money seems to be all that matters there now (legally).
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Thread Information