Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf Channel anchor says young golfers should 'lynch Tiger Woods'

Default Golf Channel anchor says young golfers should 'lynch Tiger Woods'

What is it about Duke? Okay, maybe that's not fair. But it did make me scratch my head and wonder when I read what Kelly Tilghman (pictured with Arnold Palmer), a former Blue Devil golfer, said on the Golf Channel last Friday during her gig as co-lead announcer for the network's telecast of the Mercedes-Benz Championship, the PGA Tour's inaugural event of the season.
    I have not seen the clip, nor do I know the context of the remarks. This is what I know -- that Tilghman, who never played on the LPGA Tour, said golf's young players should "lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley."
    Had Woods been white, to use the most heinous crime committed in this nation to illustrate God-knows-what point would have been egregious. But that he's not makes the remark unconscionable. And punishable.
    It would be a travesty if Tilghman is allowed to broadcast the next event for the Golf Channel. (It speaks volumes already that she was allowed to sit on the air all day Saturday, as if nothing happened. She then offered an on-air apology on Sunday but still did the entire telecast.)
    At minimum, a suspension is in order. Some will surely call for a firing. If the network does nothing -- just months after the Jena Six dominated the nation's airwaves -- it would make a significant statement about the network's tolerance of such actions. A statement that would hurt the sport of golf and rekindle memories of a racist history that Woods' success has helped it begin to move past.
    Doing nothing would remind us of Fuzzy Zoeller
    Doing nothing would remind us of Shoal Creek.
    Doing nothing would not be smart.
    Okay, so it's just the Golf Channel. And Kelly Tilghman is simply a hottie that was given an opportunity to anchor a telecast because she can swing a golf club.
    That is not the point. Tolerance at any level cannot be tolerated.
    Your move, GC.

Golf Channel anchor says young golfers should 'lynch Tiger Woods' - Golf Ex... - Golf - Yahoo! Sports
    Last edited by *DIVA!; January 8th, 2008 at 06:38 PM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

How stupid can this person be? Does she not think at all before opening her mouth?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Well, there goes her career. You don't say something that stupid about the world's No. 1 golfer and keep your job. Especially on the Golf Channel.

Thumbs down

Stupid comment to make

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

How insensitive and crude. Why did she say he should be lynched?

*BTW, I have friends who deliver pizzas where Tiger and his wife live, and he NEVER, EVER leaves a tip. Not one red cent. They send all the new drivers to his house, because the awe of seeing him wears off fast when he stiffs the driver, lol.

I don't think she should be crucified until I see her remarks in context.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I don't think she should be crucified until I see her remarks in context.
    There's no wiggle room or context when you say that a black man, even a half black man like Tiger, should be lynched. Her meaning was pretty clear.

A*O

I'm sorry, I tried to read through that 'article' and my brain began to ache after the 3rd line. What, exactly, did she say and in what context?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    There's no wiggle room or context when you say that a black man, even a half black man like Tiger, should be lynched. Her meaning was pretty clear.
    I guess I don't see "lynch" as such an incredibly racially charged word. I'm probably wrong judging by how the not so eloquent writer of this article has gotten all bent out of shape over the comment. And yes, context is important. In every situation.

what was to context? i mean wither way its wrong and disgraceful, but what made her make that comment? what an idoit to even think it

Her exact words were young golfers should "lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley". She's an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I guess I don't see "lynch" as such an incredibly racially charged word. I'm probably wrong judging by how the not so eloquent writer of this article has gotten all bent out of shape over the comment. And yes, context is important. In every situation.
    Well, when somebody uses the word 'lynch' in connection with a black person it becomes racially-charged. Especially when considering American history.

And, no, context is not always important. Some statements just stand on their own. When you make a statement about a black man being lynched, there's no other context to take it in. It would be just as offensive if she said that a Jewish golfer should be gassed.

How stupid of her!!

what an idiot

Stupid bitch.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information