Thread: Redskins' Sean Taylor in coma after surgery

Exclamation Redskins' Sean Taylor in coma after surgery

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has fallen into a coma following surgery for a life-threatening gunshot wound suffered early Monday morning at his South Miami home, FOXSports.com has learned.

Redskins officials are en route to South Florida to visit Taylor.

One source said there is a concern Taylor suffered brain damage from the loss of blood and may not survive.

"It doesn't look good," the source said. "But he's young, strong and extra healthy. That's what he's got going for him."

Taylor was shot on the inside of his leg during a home invasion involving "one or maybe more" individuals, the source said. The bullet pierced Taylor's femoral artery, causing him to get rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

The 24-year-old player was in the intensive care unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital after several hours of surgery, said family friend Richard Sharpstein, his former lawyer.

Doctors are worried the blood loss might affect blood flow to the brain, said Sharpstein, who was at the hospital with Taylor's family and friends.

Officers were sent to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. after his girlfriend called 911 and said he was shot in his lower body, Lt. Nancy Perez said. Taylor had missed the last two games because of a knee injury and was at home recuperating. Taylor was airlifted to the hospital.

Investigators were still interviewing the girlfriend and other relatives who were in the home to try to determine what happened, Perez said. No arrests have been made.

"It could have been a possible burglary; it could have been a possible robbery," Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, the lawyer said.

"It was clearly a burglary, an armed burglary," Sharpstein said, adding nothing appeared to have been stolen.

The shooting happened at a home Taylor bought two years ago in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. The player is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. Despite his injury, he is tied for the NFC lead with five interceptions.

In Ashburn, Va., Redskins owner Dan Snyder said he was headed to Miami on his private plane, joined by running back Clinton Portis, vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato and trainer Bubba Tyer.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to Sean and his family. ... We appreciate very, very much the outcry of support," Snyder said.

Redskins safety Pierson Prioleau fought to keep his composure.

"This is not just a member of the Washington Redskins," said Prioleau, one of a few players made available to reporters. "But we're talking about a dad, a brother, a friend of ours, and that's where we're at with this right now."

Coach Joe Gibbs was joined by the team chaplain at the Redskins' usual Monday meeting. A small group of players held a separate prayer gathering.

The Redskins (5-6) lost 19-13 at Tampa on Sunday. Taylor did not travel with the team to the game because of his injury. Taylor sprained a ligament in his right knee in the second half of the Nov. 11 loss to Philadelphia. He was expected to miss at least two games.

Known as one of the NFL's hardest hitters, Taylor played in his first Pro Bowl last season, where he drew attention by leveling the other team's punter in what is usually a well-mannered exhibition game. Even though he has missed two games, his five interceptions remained tied for most in the NFC.

Taylor has been in trouble numerous times since he was drafted as the No. 5 overall pick in 2004. He has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. He also was fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

Redskins coaches and players have defended Taylor, saying he was smart and misunderstood. Taylor has been slow to let anyone in his inner circle. He has rarely spoken to reporters, saying he does not trust them. Teammates said he became more mature over the last year after he became a father for the first time.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

He also was ordered to talk about the importance of education at 10 Miami schools and had to contribute $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools.

The man Taylor allegedly hit, Ryan Hill, sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill sustained bruises to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Source: Taylor in coma after surgery

This is just awful. I hate the Redskins, but I wouldn't wish this on them. I hope this guy pulls through.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Silver Member

It is being reported on CNN.com that he has died

BREAKING NEWS

document.write(cnnRenderT1TimeStamp(1196163232979) );updated 17 minutes ago

NFL's Sean Taylor dies

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has died, a day after he was shot in the leg, said family friend Richard Sharpstein. He said Taylor's father called him around 5:30 a.m. to tell him the news. "It's a tremendously sad and unnecessary event," said Sharpstein. "He was a wonderful, humble, talented young man, and had a huge life in front of him. Obviously God had other plans." developing story

NFL's Sean Taylor dead, friend says - CNN.com

OMG!! THIS IS SOOO SAD AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY ALLEN IVERSON STILL KEEP HIS "HOMIES FROM THE HOOD" AROUND HIM. PROTECTION.. PLAIN N SIMPLE
    & not a single fuck was given...

RIP! This is so sad. He just had a baby about a year ago, I think.

Geez, how sad.

Sean Taylor wasn't a saint, but nobody should be killed trying to protect their own home and family. Especially not at 24. I hope they catch these bastards.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I was actually expecting the guy to pull through. R.I.P.

That's crazy. How many famous people get their houses broken into?
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Andy Garcia -- Taylor Saved My Niece!
    Posted Nov 29th 2007 11:40AM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Celebrity Justice, Talk Sports

Andy Garcia is hailing NFL star Sean Taylor as a "hero" who lost his life trying to protect Andy's niece Jackie, who was Taylor's girlfriend and the mother of their baby. Yes-- that Andy Garcia.

Garcia tells the Miami Herald that Taylor's "heroic action" saved Jackie and daughter, also named Jackie, and called the incident "a testament to his humanity and courage." Taylor was shot when he grabbed a machete to confront an intruder, while Jackie Garcia reportedly hid in the bedroom with the 18-month-old baby. Until now, Andy and his family had not given any public comment on the killing.

"We will always remember him as a caring and loving individual, especially to his new family," says Andy. The couple met at Gulliver Prep School in Miami-Dade county

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    This is just awful. I hate the Redskins, but I wouldn't wish this on them. I hope this guy pulls through.
    As a Cowboys fan, I also DESPISE the Redskins, but would never ever wish this on anyone. How horrible...and so young. So talented.

I just cannot understand WHY someone would do this? I have a funny feeling that there is a LOT more to this story (obviously) but wonder if there was something really shady going on.....

well, let's hope that somebody gets the murderer/thief some counselling - he obviously NEEDED something Taylor had ...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I doubt it was a thief. This sounds really weird.
    "Sharpstein said investigators discovered that the phone lines to the home on Old Cutler Road had been cut, and Taylor's girlfriend had to use her cell phone to call 911."

"Monday's attack came about a week after another break in.

Police records show someone had broken into Taylor's house between 7 p.m. Nov. 17 and midnight Nov. 18. During that incident, investigators found that a front window had been pried open, drawers in Taylor's home have been rifled through, and a kitchen knife had been left on a bed."

Then there was this in June 2005.
    "After the incident, Taylor drove to a friend's house in West Perrine. Court records say soon after he arrived Taylor's SUV was peppered with bullets in a drive by shooting. No one was hit and no suspects were ever taken into custody."
    cbs4.com - Police continue to investigate strange circumstances surrounding Sean Taylor break in.

Somebody seems to have had it in for this guy for some reason. Regardless, counseling is in now way realistic. (yeah, I know you weren't serious!)

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Police Arrest 4 In Sean Taylor Murder

Men In Custody In Fort Myers Area

MIAMI (CBS) ― Police have arrested four people in the Fort Myers area in the death of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor.

Miami-Dade police department spokeswoman Linda O'Brien identified the men as: Venjah K. Hunte, 20; Eric Rivera Jr., 17; Jason Scott Mitchell, 17; and Charles Kendrick Lee Wardlow, 18.

At a news conference, Miami-Dade police director Robert Parker said the men entered the residence and shot Taylor. Officials said they're looking into whether one or more of the suspects had previously broken into Taylor's home. They apparently believed the home was empty at the time of the shooting.

"Let me make this clear: they were certainly not looking to go there and kill anyone. They were expecting a residence that was not occupied," Parker said. He added police have more than one confession in the case.

Parker said tips from the public were "absolutely key" to cracking the case.

Parker announced that murder will be the strongest charge leveled against the suspects, but determination of charges was still pending. "Who cares what they went there for. They're going to be charged with murder," he said.

The Miami Herald, which first reported the development on its Web site, said investigators believe the suspects learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about his wealth. The suspects include two teenagers and a man in his 20s, all from the Fort Myers area, the paper reported.

A telephone message left at the Florida City Police Department for the slain safety's father, Chief Pedro Taylor, was not immediately returned.

Richard Sharpstein, a former Taylor lawyer and family friend, confirmed the law enforcement report.

"It's my understanding that three individuals are in custody. A house is being searched," Sharpstein said, without disclosing who had given him the information.

He repeated previous statements that the burglary did not appear to be random and that the 24-year-old's house had been targeted.

Taylor's teammates and friends were measured in responding to this latest development.

"I can't get excited or get my hopes up hoping these are the guys until we know for sure," said running back Clinton Portis. "Everybody wants to know why. It's still not gonna bring back Sean. It will still take a great guy away from the world."

Said receiver Santana Moss: "If those are the guys, I just hope that they'll just be dealt with properly. I feel there's nothing much I can say about it. It's no anger I can express to them. What's done is done."

Evidence at Taylor's home indicated one or more intruders barged into the house early Monday in an attempted burglary, Miami-Dade police director Robert Parker said Wednesday.

Taylor and longtime girlfriend, Jackie Garcia, were awakened by loud noises at Taylor's home in an affluent Miami suburb, Sharpstein has said. Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection, Sharpstein said, then someone broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor in the upper leg. Neither the couple's 18-month-old daughter, also named Jackie, nor Garcia were injured in the attack.

The bullet damaged the femoral artery in Taylor's leg, causing significant blood loss. Taylor never regained consciousness and died a little more than 24 hours later.

Actor Andy Garcia, the uncle of Taylor's girlfriend, called Taylor a hero.

Garcia told the Miami Herald that Taylor's "heroic action on that tragic night saved their life and is a testament to his humanity and courage."
    cbs3.com - Suspects Arrested In Sean Taylor Shooting Death

Then Mediatakeout.com reports this:

November 30, 2007. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that detectives from the Miami-Dade Police Department believe that Sean Taylor's brother and sister may have been indirectly involved in the NFL star's killing.

Authorities claim that Taylor lavished money and presents on his brother and sister. And the two shared the wealth with suspects now detained in connection with Taylor's murder. Additionally, officials believe Taylor's siblings may have bragged all of the expensive items inside his Miami home.

MediaTakeOut.com™ 2007 - SHOCKING UPDATE: Police Claims That SEAN TAYLORS' Siblings May Be Involved In HIS MURDER!!!
    & not a single fuck was given...

Thread Information