Chelsea have announced who will take charge of the team following Jose Mourinho's shock exit

The club said director of football Avram Grant and assistant manager Steve Clarke will be in the dug-out this weekend after Mourinho left Chelsea by "mutual consent"

The statement was made on the club's website but it did not say whether the positions were permanent.

Mourinho refused to comment on his dramatic departure after turning up for training this morning.

For once the man who dubbed himself the Special One remained silent as he dashed passed a crowd of reporters and photographers waiting for him at the team's Cobham training ground in Surrey.

It is thought Mourinho briefed his players on why he had left the club before the players went to train with Grant, who used to coach the Israeli national team.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich arrived mid-morning and was later seen inside the training grounds talking to Grant.

Debate continues as to whether Mourinho jumped or was pushed by Abramovich

There had been speculation over manager's future following a string of lacklustre performances, which has left the club fifth in the Barclays Premiership.

Mourinho's departure follows the Blues' disappointing Champions League draw at home to Norwegian minnows Rosenborg on Tuesday.

There was also long-standing tension with Abramovich.

Sky News sports presenter Jacquie Beltrao said Mourinho was expected to leave the club at the end of last season.

"This has been a long time coming," she said. "People were predicting this would happen last summer.

"Chelsea have not had a great start to season but it's not been too bad either.

"The result against Rosenborg was enough for the board to call an emergency meeting to decide Chelsea were not playing the kind off football Abramovich wanted."

Prime Minister Gordon Brown described Mourinho as one of the "great characters of the game".

This week, Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon told of Abramovich's ambition of making Chelsea a worldwide brand by winning two European cups in a 10-year period and dominating the domestic league.

That only gave Mourinho another six seasons to win two Champions League cups.

But the 44-year-old manager is said to have been frustrated with the perceived interference of Abramovich in team affairs.

Mourinho won every domestic honour since his arrival in England in the summer of 2004 but the Champions League eluded him.

A Tabloids Dream: Jose's Most Quotable Quotes.

Jose Mourinho - never one to hide his light under a bushel - has left Chelsea.During his colourful stint at Stamford Bridge he delighted journalists with his amusing - and often caustic - soundbites.

One thing he could never be accused of is false modesty.
Introducing himself after arriving from Porto, he said: "Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one."

But he was often less kind about others, even Sir Alex Ferguson, with whom he appeared to have a cordial relationship.After losing to Manchester United, he claimed the Scot had unduly influenced referee Neale Barry at half-time.

He said: "In the second half it was whistle and whistle, fault and fault, cheat and cheat."The referee controlled the game in one way during the first half but in the second they had dozens of free-kicks."I know the referee did not walk to the dressing rooms alone at half-time."

A similar complaint against Frank Rijkaard of Barcelona.
"When I saw Rijkaard entering the referee's dressing room I couldn't believe it." He went on: "When Drogba was sent off I didn't get surprised.

And, in an apparent dig at referee Anders Frisk - who has since retired - he concluded: "There is something that tells me that in London the referee will be Collina, the best in the world."A perfect referee with personality and quality."

On Luis Garcia's goal for Liverpool which dumped Chelsea out of the Champions League he said: "I felt the power of Anfield, it was magnificent. I felt it didn't interfere with my players but maybe it interfered with other people and maybe it interfered with the result."You should ask the linesman why he gave a goal. Because, to give a goal, the ball must be 100% in and he must be 100% sure that the ball is in."

According to Jose, a defeat to Barcelona was down to the sending off of Asier del Horno."It is not a red card, of course not, and for the second time we have to play 55, 60 minutes without a man and the game is completely different."I shouldn't speak about the game, because the game is not a game."

After Petr Cech's injury after a challenge by Stephen Hunt: "The goalkeeper has the ball in his hands, slides and the number 10 cannot get the ball. He goes with the knee into his face."

During a row with compatriot Christiano Ronaldo: "A player who wants to be the best one of the world, and he already may be, should have the uprightness and the sufficient maturity to verify that against facts there are not arguments."If he says that it is a lie that Manchester United have conceded some penalties this season which have not been awarded against them, he is lying."And if he lies he will never reach the level that he wants to reach."

Finally, just before his last game - a draw with Rosenborg - he lamented his team's injury list: "It is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs."In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes."So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem."

Feuds And Fights: Mourinho's Best Fall Outs

Jose Mourinho has left Chelsea after several successful years.
During his time at the Blues, he was known as much for his footballing feuds off the pitch as his managerial genius on it.When the self-proclaimed 'Special One' arrived at Stamford Bridge he soon clashed with rival managers.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger became a consistent target.
Annoyed by Wenger's comments about his team, Mourinho said the Frenchman was obsessed by Chelsea.He claimed he had compiled a 120-page dossier of Wenger remarks and labelled the Gunners boss a "voyeur".

Whereas the Mourinho v Wenger spat was marked with pure antipathy, the Mourinho v Sir Alex Ferguson feud was characterised by a degree of respect.But Mourinho hit out at the United boss after the first leg of a Carling Cup semi-final in January 2005."Alex was clever putting pressure on the ref at half-time," he said. "It was whistle and whistle, fault and fault, cheat and cheat."It earned him a 5,000 fine for improper conduct.

Liverpool dispatched Chelsea twice in Champions League semi-finals, prompting Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez to say: "We were good friends until Liverpool started winning, then he started changing his mind.

Mourinho accused Barcelona boss Frank Rijkaard of going into referee Anders Frisk's room at half-time during their Champions League clash at the Nou Camp in 2005, in which Didier Drogba was controversially sent off.
His remarks earned him a two-match touchline ban.Frisk has since retired.

The Special One was involved in a tapping-up row with Arsenal after it was alleged he had met Arsenal full-back Ashley Cole in a hotel with other Chelsea officials. The club was fined by the Premier League.

Everton submitted a formal complaint after Mourinho accused Toffees striker Andrew Johnson of diving. "He's dangerous for opponents because you can't trust him and I was not happy with that, but I think he was a bit embarrassed and he behaved very well after that," said Mourinho, who later apologised.

But the key feud appears to have been with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, although nothing was ever confirmed in public.
Mourinho was thought not to have wanted striker Andriy Shevchenko and criticised him this week despite the star scoring against Rosenborg.
Abramovich refused to give Mourinho more transfer funds and riled the coach even more by appointing Avram Grant as director of football.

Mourinho's final spat is reported to have been with his trusted, loyal captain John Terry.He was apparently unhappy with his captain's recent performances - although Terry had been one of the rocks of his time at Chelsea.

Sky.com/news