Thread: Buffalo Bills' Kevin Everett injures spine during game, possibly paralyzed

Default Buffalo Bills' Kevin Everett injures spine during game, possibly paralyzed

AP - Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Bills reserve tight end Kevin Everett will spend one to two days under sedation as doctors evaluate the extent of a severe spinal injury that could leave him paralyzed.

Everett is in the intensive care unit at Buffalo’s Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital after a four-hour operation performed hours after he was hurt in a season-opening loss to Denver, Eric Armstead, a partner of the player’s agent Brian Overstreet, told The Associated Press on Monday.

“He’ll be sedated for the next 24 to 48 hours and we won’t know more until then,” Armstead said. “We were told by the doctors that the surgery went well.”

Everett’s family members, including mother Patricia Dugas, were to arrive in Buffalo on Monday from their Houston home, Armstead said

Overstreet told the AP late Sunday that his client had some “sparse movement.”

“The next couple of days is going to be critical,” said Overstreet, responding to a question about paralysis. “Our concern is for him to come out of this healthy and, hopefully, be able to walk again.”

The team doctor, John Marzo, is expected to provide a medical update in the afternoon.

Bills general manager Marv Levy on Sunday night said doctors informed the team that it’s too early to determine the severity of the injury and they will know more after monitoring the player overnight.

“Certainly, we feel the injury is serious, but I don’t want to speculate, and that’s what the doctors told us,” Levy said. “They told us to wait to hear from them before making any speculative announcement.”

Everett sustained what the team called a cervical spine injury when he ducked his head while driving in to tackle Denver’s Domenik Hixon during the second half-opening kickoff. Everett dropped face first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Replays showed the player twitching for a few seconds as he attempted to get up before falling back to the ground. Everett had his eyes open but showed no further signs of movement during the next 15 minutes as the team’s medical staff and emergency personnel carefully placed him on a backboard and, with the player’s head and body immobilized, loaded him into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

The injury recalled the one to Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard who was paralyzed below the chest. He injured his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

“I’m sorry this young man got hurt,” Utley told the AP. “It wasn’t a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that’s it.”

The 41-year-old Utley now lives in Washington state and is promoting a bike tour aimed at raising money in an effort to cure paralysis.

“These are big strong men competing at the highest level. You can do everything to prepare yourself — lift weights and all that,” Utley said. “But is it going to happen again? Yes.”
    Bills' TE injures spine, might never walk again - NFL - MSNBC.com
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I saw this game and this particular play and it looked like NOTHING. We couldn't believe he was 'this' injured. We thought they were just being overly cautious. How horrible that it was indeed a terrible injury, one in which he may never walk again!

Just goes to show that it could happen on any given play, anytime.

My thoughts and prayers are out to him and his family. Must have been incredibly hard to have watched that if you were part of his family/friends. I cannot imagine.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

He might die; it is crazy.

This is just so sad...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I thought the same thing Lynnie...we weren't watching that game but when they showed clips of it, I thought "you gotta be kidding me". I can't believe there aren't a lot more injuries like this in the NFL. I really hope he pulls through okay.
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

So sad.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Unhappy UPDATE: Everett's chances of walking again unlikely

UPDATE

Bills' Everett may never walk again
    By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury while trying to make a tackle during the Buffalo Bills' season opener and is unlikely to walk again, the surgeon who operated on him said Monday.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," orthopedic surgeon Andrew Cappuccino said. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury was life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Everett is in the intensive care unit of Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, where he is under sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen. Cappuccino said it will take up to three days to determine the severity of the injury and the recovery process.

Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. In reconstructing his spine, doctors made a bone graft and inserted a plate, held in by four screws, and also inserted two small rods, held in place by another four screws.

Doctors, however, weren't able to repair all the damage.

Bills punter Brian Moorman immediately feared the worst when Everett showed no signs of movement as he was placed on a backboard and, with his head and body immobilized, carefully loaded into an ambulance.

"It brought tears to my eyes," Moorman said after practice. He said the sight of Everett's motionless body brought back memories of Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard, who was paralyzed below the chest after injuring his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

Utley, Moorman recalled, at least was able to give what's become a famous "thumbs up" sign as he was taken off the field. Everett didn't.

"That's what I was waiting for, and that's what everybody else was waiting for," Moorman said. "And to have to walk back to the sideline and not see that made for a tough time."

Utley, who lives in Washington state, was saddened to see replays of Everett's collision.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley told The AP. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

Cappuccino said Everett was alert and aware of the extent of his injuries.

"I told Kevin that the chances for a full neurologic recovery were bleak, dismal," said Cappuccino, who works for the Bills as a consultant, specializing in spinal surgery. "I was honest with him, and he told me, 'Do everything you can to help me.'"

Cappuccino received permission to operate from Everett's mother, Patricia Dugas, who spoke by phone from her home in Houston. She and other family members arrived in Buffalo on Monday.

Buffalo's 2005 third-round draft pick out of Miami, Everett missed his rookie season because of a knee injury. He spent most of last year playing special teams. He was hoping to make an impact as a receiver.

The Bills now attempt to refocus while preparing to play at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

"It's difficult because you know the situation," said running back Anthony Thomas, one of Everett's best friends on the team. "We have to move on. But he'll always be in our thoughts and in our prayers."

Quarterback J.P. Losman said it was difficult to concentrate during practice.

"It seems like every couple of seconds that go by it's always popping into your head," Losman said. "Going through a walk-through, we're looking for him, wanting to hear his voice."

Coach Dick Jauron said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell called him Sunday evening, offering the league's support.

"We honor ourselves by our work, and we honor Kevin by moving forward and working while never forgetting Kevin and never getting him out of our thoughts and prayers," Jauron said. "We're going to wait and see what the outcome is here and we're really hoping and praying for the best."

___

Associated Press Sports Writer Pat Graham in Denver contributed to this report.
    Bills' Everett may never walk again - Yahoo! News

I have a friend that was told he should have died after being poked in the neck by a stick, 90% of people die within the first 3 seconds of the same injury he had...and hes here to talk about it. Miracles do happen, and I hope in this guy's case, they happen to him.

Super sad. Dude was just doing his job, what he loved. And I know its always a possiblility, but you just hate to see it.

And they're saying its likely he could succumb to this....how awful. Can you even imagine??

Default UPDATE: Kevin Everett moves his arms & legs, predicted to walk again

Quote Originally Posted by silver024 View Post
    Miracles do happen, and I hope in this guy's case, they happen to him.
    It may already have! Amazing.

Read on . . .

UPDATE

Bills' Everett improves, may walk again
    By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Kevin Everett voluntarily moved his arms and legs on Tuesday when partially awakened, prompting a neurosurgeon to say the Buffalo Bills' tight end would walk again — contrary to the grim prognosis given a day before.

"Based on our experience, the fact that he's moving so well, so early after such a catastrophic injury means he will walk again," said Dr. Barth Green, chairman of the department of neurological surgery at the University of Miami school of medicine.

"It's totally spectacular, totally unexpected," Green told The Associated Press by telephone from Miami.

Green said he's been consulting with doctors in Buffalo since Everett sustained a life-threatening spinal cord injury Sunday after ducking his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff of the Bills' season opener.

Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Asked whether Everett will have a chance to fully recover, Green said: "It's feasible, but it's not 100 percent predictable at this time. ... But it's feasible he could lead a normal life."

On Monday, Bills orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, said Everett likely wouldn't walk again.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," said Cappuccino, who operated on the reserve tight end. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Cappuccino and officials at Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital did not immediately return several messages left with them by The AP.

In a report Tuesday evening, Buffalo's WIVB-TV quoted Cappuccino as saying: "We may be witnessing a minor miracle."

Bills owner Ralph Wilson said the team has been in contact from the beginning with Green and the Miami Project, the university's neurological center that specializes in spinal cord injuries and paralysis.

Everett's agent, Brian Overstreet, also said Everett's mother told him the player moved his arms and legs when awakened from a deeply sedated sleep.

"I don't know if I would call it a miracle. I would call it a spectacular example of what people can do," Green said. "To me, it's like putting the first man on the moon or splitting the atom. We've shown that if the right treatment is given to people who have a catastrophic injury that they could walk away from it."

Green said the key was the quick action taken by Cappuccino to run an ice-cold saline solution through Everett's system that put the player in a hypothermic state. Doctors at the Miami Project have demonstrated in their laboratories that such action significantly decreases the damage to the spinal cord due to swelling and movement.

"We've been doing a protocol on humans and having similar experiences for many months now," Green said. "But this is the first time I'm aware of that the doctor was with the patient when he was injured and the hypothermia was started within minutes of the injury. We know the earlier it's started, the better."

Everett remains in intensive care and will be slowly taken off sedation and have his body temperature warmed over the next day, Green said. Doctors will also take the player off a respirator.

Cappuccino said Monday that the 25-year-old did have touch sensation throughout his body, showed signs of voluntary movement and was able to breathe on his own before being sedated. But he cautioned that Everett's injury remained life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Green noted that Everett and Wilson have ties to Miami and the Miami Project — Everett played there and Wilson is one of the project's largest donors.

"It's an amazing group of circumstances. It's a home run. It's a touchdown," Green said.

Bills' Everett improves, may walk again - Yahoo! News

I have tears in my eyes after reading that, just reminds me so much of my friend. Thats so awesome that he moved on his own! I wonder if he does make a full recovery if he would go back to the NFL, would they even let him? Just amazing...so happy for him and his family.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I heard that on the news last night; I hope he walks.

Awesome!! Hope this continues and he is able to get up, walk and enjoy his life. Good for you Kevin!

Amazing. Good for him!

Thread Information