Thread: Duke lacrosse players exonerated of rape charges. Accuser was a lying turd

SVZ

Default Duke lacrosse players exonerated of rape charges. Accuser was a lying turd

As the three Duke lacrosse players were exonerated yesterday, their former coach watched from afar in a colleague's office, overjoyed.

"Two days after this happened, I knew what the truth was," Mike Pressler said. "It is the same truth today as it was a year ago. Our story has not changed, and today's announcement is long, long overdue."

Pressler spoke yesterday at Bryant University in Rhode Island, where he is in his first season coaching the men's lacrosse team. Pressler, who resigned under fire in the aftermath of the case, has a book that will be released in June titled "It's Not About the Truth," detailing his thoughts about the scandal.

"I hold the players at Duke University responsible for none of this," he said. "They were responsible for some poor judgment. They've certainly paid a hell of a price for some poor judgment."

With the case dropped, Pressler said there was a sense of closure on his 16-year term as Duke coach.

"I always said I'd finish my command when those guys were vindicated," he said. "And so today at 2:30, my command at Duke University concluded." -- JEFF GOLD

The hometown

Taking a late morning stroll through his Garden City neighborhood, Leonard Rosenberg, 80, said it's good news that the charges were dropped. "They got no evidence ... " said the podiatrist as he paused just steps from Collin Finnerty's house.

In the heart of the commercial district, Thomas Tempesa, 25, of Mineola, said he thinks the politics of wealth and privilege had a hand in the dropping of the charges. "This sends a message to the privileged that they can do whatever they want with little to no consequences," he said.

Bill Brown, 62, like Finnerty a Chaminade graduate, said the players made a mistake when they collected the money to have the racy party, but there were holes in the case.

"The boys will be fine," he said. "In the future, they will be seen as the three Duke lacrosse players who were framed by the DA. The lesson here is always do what's right." -- DEBORAH S. MORRIS

The community

At State Supreme Court, reactions were mixed.

Jeffrey Dessources, 25, of Elmont, said he didn't think dropping all charges seemed fair.

"Every single charge?" he said. "By dismissing all charges, you're dismissing all responsibility of what went on."

Elbert Orr, 62, of Hempstead, said while DA Mike Nifong should be held accountable, Orr still believes something happened the night of the party. "Something is wrong with this case. You don't know who to believe," he said. "I think they should have been charged with something."

Leslie Gonzalez, 34, of Mineola, said she understood why the attorney general decided to drop the case: "If there's not enough evidence, you've got to let it go."

Mary Myers, 47, of Massapequa, said when the story first emerged, she tended to believe the accuser. But as the case started to fall apart, Myers said, she began to think the story was fabricated.

"They [the players] probably don't think so, but I don't think they are tarnished." -- DEBORAH S. MORRIS

The advocate

In Raleigh, N.C., Monika Johnson Hostler of the North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault said the media attention and dismissal of the charges in the case may discourage survivors of sexual assaults to come forward. "Future survivors, as well as those who have already come forward, they're afraid of how they will be treated," she said. -- SOPHIA CHANG

The alma mater

The news about Collin Finnerty, a 2004 grad, coursed through the locker rooms and playing fields at Chaminade High School in Mineola: "He's free."

Smiling boys passed the word during lacrosse practice. "He deserves a break after everything he's been put through," said Matt Plominski, of Port Washington, a senior lacrosse player.

Lacrosse coach Jack Moran, who coached Finnerty, called the prosecutors' reversal "long overdue." Moran said that the Catholic boys school taught Finnerty, now a part-time assistant coach at Chaminade, an important lesson: "If you are a moral person, if you believe in your convictions, you'll be able to weather some of the storms in your life." -- DAVE MARCUS

The university

At the Bryan Center on the Duke campus in Durham, the atmosphere among students was one of relief.

Some were quick to express resentment at the voracious public interest in the case, which they said unfairly eclipsed many of the constructive things Duke students do.Others indicated they were tired of the issue and the media scrutiny. "At this point, everyone is just ready to move on," said Matea, 19, a sophomore who didn't provide her full name.

-- BART JONES AND JOSEPH MALLIA

Reactions to Duke lacrosse charges being dropped - Newsday.com

I can't wait for Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's apology

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

The advocate

In Raleigh, N.C., Monika Johnson Hostler of the North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault said the media attention and dismissal of the charges in the case may discourage survivors of sexual assaults to come forward. "Future survivors, as well as those who have already come forward, they're afraid of how they will be treated," she said.

Well, what the fuck? Are they supposed to incarcerate innocent people so that victims will come forward?

That's one year stolen from those kids.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Yep, but all the advocate cares about is how it will affect future victims. Well, imo, it's people who make false allegations that harm real victims, not innocent guys who had unfounded charges dismissed.

Of course it hurts real victims. It just makes me sick they had to spend a year of their life and umpteen dollars on lawyers wasted before having the charges dismissed. They will never get any of that back, much less the extreme stress of their families.
    The lying witch that started all of this seems to have drifted off into the sunset scott free. Is she to be charged with anything?
    I don't think this would cause a real victim to think twice-why would they indentify with a liar? An honest victim would not be phased by this charade IMO.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Once this hit the media and the puzzle pieces started coming together, I had no doubt that they were innocent. Poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Not to mention the connection with this case that will probably always follow them. As well as the nagging question about whether or not something really did happen, regardless of what terminology the courts used in the dismissal.

And the guy that they quoted above (Elbert Orr, 62) scares me - "I think they should be charged with something". WTF? Charged with what and for what reason? Just to charge them?

Of course its always devastating and has far-reaching consequences when something like this happens. Statistically the percentage of women who lie about rape is small, but of course it is always sensationalized by the media when it does happen, which is understandable. These poor kids had their reputations tarnished for nothing, and thats hideous - but of course that doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of rape cases are not just fabricated claims. This, of course, leads to a generalized skepticism whenever a woman brings up a rape claim, which is really sad. It does lead to many women not wanting to pursue relevant rape claims because of harassment or blame being shifted to the victims. All of this, of course, because some bitch made some false claims. She should be imprisoned.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    I can't wait for Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's apology
    Don't hold your breath. Remember Tamara Brawley?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think some sort of charges should be filed against the accuser and
    I want to know their reasoning behind not filing any.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I think some sort of charges should be filed against the accuser and
    I want to know their reasoning behind not filing any.
    They won't be filing charges against the accuser because they said she believed her story when she told it!! That she wasn't intentionally filing a false report when she accused the players of rape! What a crock o' chit!! Are they serious? Is she delusional? They didn't touch her. How can she "think" that they did???

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm not going to make any more comments because I don't want them miscontrued like in the past.

SVZ

Can't the players sue for slander?

Thread Information