Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/11/2007 | NBA | A teary-eyed Artest apologizes; Kings say he can play

Five days he was charged with slapping and grabbing a woman at his home, a contrite Ron Artest said he'd stumbled as a father and husband - and the Sacramento Kings said they'd let the volatile player return.
"First, I want to apologize to my wife, to my family," Artest said at a news conference yesterday. He then lowered his head and fought back tears nearly a minute. "I want to apologize to the Kings, to my teammates, to the NBA, everybody."
He was excused from all team activities Tuesday, the day after his arrest in a Sacramento suburb. He missed two games. Sacramento hosts Denver today.
The woman had called 911 and said she'd been assaulted, and police said she had visible hand and leg injuries. Arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, Artest posted a $50,000 bond. Arraignment is March 22.
Kings president Geoff Petrie said the decision to bring Artest back was based largely on the courts' presumption of innocence.
Acquired 14 months ago in a trade with Indiana, Artest is the Kings' second-leading scorer. They began the weekend a game behind the Los Angeles Clippers for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
In 2004, Artest jumped into the stands to slug it out with the public in a brawl between Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans. He was suspended 73 games, costing him almost $5 million in salary.

abc7.com: Report: Artest arrested on domestic abuse charges

Last month Ron Artest was cited for neglecting dogs on his property, and his troubles have now escalated. The Sacramento Kings star was arrested on Monday morning in his home on domestic violence charges, according to a report on the Sacramento Bee Web site.
Artest
Placer County Sheriff's officials announced the charges and scheduled a 7 p.m. ET news conference to discuss the incident.According to the report, police responded to a a 911 call at 9:23 a.m. PT, and deputies found the woman who made the call at Artest's Loomis, Calif., home. After interviewing the woman and the player separately, police arrested Artest.He was charged at the Placer County Jail with domestic violence and using force or violence to prevent his victim from reporting a crime, the Bee reported, citing officials involved in the case.In early February, it was revealed that Artest paid $1,942 in boarding and impound fees because some of his dogs had spent a total of 77 nights at the Placer County pound since July. Animal control officers had gone to Artest's five-acre estate seven times in that period in response to callers' complaints about dogs being loose or not being fed.Artest completed anger management for a domestic violence charge in 2004, and the mother of his children was charged with the same crime for hitting Artest in 2002.