Thread: Evan Lysacek wins his first US National Figure Skating Championship title

Default Evan Lysacek wins his first US National Figure Skating Championship title

Lysacek wins his first national title
    By NANCY ARMOUR, AP National Writer
    Sun Jan 28, 3:27 AM ET

SPOKANE, Wash. - Evan Lysacek dropped to his knees and knelt on the ice, shaking his head in wonder as the audience roared and stuffed animals rained down around him. That national title he'd wanted so badly for so many years was finally his.

Lysacek skated the performance of a lifetime at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships on Saturday, overwhelming three-time champion Johnny Weir and everybody else.

He won the title with his first jump, a quad-triple combination, then spent the next four minutes reminding everybody how spectacular skating can be when it's done right.

"That was something," he said. "It's hard to put into words how much I wanted to win this title."

Lysacek finished with 248.88 points, winning by almost 30 points. Weir, who had the misfortune of skating after Lysacek, looked dull for what might be the first time in his life. He fell on one jump, popped another and by the end of the night, had tumbled all the way to third.

He finished with 213.20 points, six points behind surprising Ryan Bradley. It was the first time since 1935 that a three-time champion been dethroned.

"Well, he beat me by 30 points," Weir said. "He didn't just beat me, he kicked my (butt)."

Lysacek made no secret this week of how badly he wanted to be the national champion. He won bronze medals at the last two world championships and finished ahead of Weir at the Olympics.

But it was Weir who won the last three U.S. titles, and those come with bragging rights topped only by Olympic gold or a world title.

Lysacek is normally a happy-go-lucky guy, but he was deadly serious Saturday, the perfect match for his slicked-back hair, all-black outfit and "Carmen" program.

"I tried to totally shut down my brain," he said. "I was trying not to think about winning, because that's kind of a curse."

His first element was the quadruple toe loop-triple toe combination, a trick he'd only tried once before and hadn't landed cleanly. This time, it was perfect.

As his blade touched the ice after the second jump, Lysacek looked skyward, his face etched with relief. All he had to do was stand up, and he'd win.

"I knew the biggest thing he was concerned about was over," said his coach, Frank Carroll, who stood by the boards clutching a medal he'd gotten from his former coach, Maribel Vinson.

The title meant too much to Lysacek, though, and he wasn't about to mail in the rest of the program. His program was loaded with technical difficulty, eight triples in addition to the quad. He skated as much with his heart as his feet, his every landing solid, his every step sure, his every spin dazzling. There was no wasted movement, no fluff.

The audience was on its feet with 10 seconds left. When Lysacek punctuated the last note of the music with a punch of his fist, the fans roared their approval. He dropped to his knees and stayed there for 20 seconds, soaking it all in.

"You don't dethrone (champions) in skating by hesitating," Lysacek said. "You go out and fight with passion."

When he got up, he pumped his fists, clapped his hands and tried to make eye contact with every person cheering for him. Enough stuffed animals to open a toy store covered the ice, and Lysacek bowed several times before skating off. When he saw his marks, he leapt to his feet and saluted the crowd again.

All the while, Weir, who was up next, was skating around the ice, trying to keep his focus.

It was impossible to do.

"Very, very difficult to go after that," Weir said. "I heard 90-something for the (technical) score, and I had never heard that before. I thought, `What did he just do?'"

The landing of Weir's opening triple axel was shaky and he two-footed his attempt at a quad. He fell down on a triple loop and popped a triple axel into a single. He didn't do a triple-triple combination.

Even more disappointing was his demeanor. Weir is one of the most lyrical, expressive skaters in the world, someone who can make tracings look artistic. But he seemed almost disinterested. Or maybe he just knew he'd been beaten.

"A bronze in the U.S. nationals isn't too shabby," Weir said. "When you compare it to a U.S. title, it's a little disappointing."

While Lysacek and Weir have programs that can match up with the best in the world, Bradley is all about entertainment. And the fans couldn't get enough, screaming like he was the second coming of Elvis.

He did do seven triples, including a triple axel-triple toe combo, but he didn't even try a quad and speed wasn't his strong point.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070128/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

I don't know if we have any other figure skating fans, but I think we might?

I am a huge fan of Johnny Weir's and was so sad for him last night. He appeared devastated after he skated and cried for a few moments before he received his score. He has all the talent in the world and I hope he can pull it together for World's.

That said, Evan Lysacek skated brilliantly and deserved the title.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I LOVE EVAN!!!!
    How exciting for him!!!

I've been following him and Johnny Weir both for a few years now and I do like Evan much more than Johnny. Johnny's talented, no doubt but I think he's had his time to shine, it's time for someone else to step up as the best.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I like Evan, too, and he certainly deserved it.

But, being a Johnny fan, I do wish he would've won. Maybe this will be a kick in the ass for him and he'll re-double his efforts.

We just had the European championship here and the World,s is about in a mounth,s time.
    Johnny is artistic and i like him a lot.
    MY girls and me are huge figure skating fans,i hope it will be a good competition at World,s .Most of the Big Russians are out,so a big chance for our darling Brian Joubert to win.
    And good luck to Johnny too.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I'm wondering if Lambiel will be at Worlds since he sat out Europeans. Either way, I'm thinking this will definately be Joubert's year, especially if he pulls out a 3 quad program like he's already done this year.

I'd really love to see Johnny win, or at least medal at Worlds.

Lampiel turned professional ,almost,he said he was not feeling good,and pulled out last minute with his fans buying tickets and travelling.They helped Sara Mayers a lot.
    He is a good one too.I know nothing about the Chinese or Japanese,they have some good ones too.
    With PLushenco enjoying his new baby,it will be an easier task for the rest of them.I do hope for Johnny ,he is a joy to watch on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Lampiel turned professional ,almost,he said he was not feeling good,and pulled out last minute with his fans buying tickets and travelling.
    I wondered if a lot of Sasha Cohen's fans felt gypped when she announced she wouldn't skate at US Nationals a little more than a month beforehand. I'm sure she must've known well before that. Maybe she was encouraged to keep it quiet so people would keep buying tickets. Pretty shady, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I think US Nationals had the highest attendance that they've had in many years this year and the men's competition was very interesting. The ladies wasn't the yawnfest I figured it might be, either.

WE cant watch the nationals in here,i get my news reading,a pity,
    sports are getting worse than show business,but i love them all the same.

Figure skating is such a guilty pleasure- love it! I adore Johnny Weir, he cracks me up, hope he does well but I'm happy for Evan. He was so sick at the Olympics, I'm glad he won Nationals.

I'm more excited for the guys than the girls this season, who cares about Kimmie Meisner when Johnny's costumes are so fabulous!
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Johnny's costumes are fab - he wore a black mesh number Saturday night featuring what appeared to be a nip slip!

Not a huge skating fan, but will watch during Olympics or during high drama (ala Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding bullshit). But I'm glad to see Evan win, as I do know who he is. I like Johnny too, but nice to see someone else win as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Johnny's costumes are fab - he wore a black mesh number Saturday night featuring what appeared to be a nip slip!
    With Johnny I'm sure it was intentional! That kid is a hoot.

I just watched their long programs on YouTube and Evan was sensational, so clean- really well done. I'm not so sure what's up with Johnny's Life-of-Jesus long program, that was uh... different. But he's always so fun to watch, love the ropes sweetie- work it!
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Just watched Johnny too,my poor pet was crying,i have a soft spot for that kid,i dont care how perfectly the tall guy scated,it left me with a cucamber taste.
    Johnny on the other hand...not taste less at all.

Thread Information