Thread: Barry Bonds: Pete Rose and Mark McGwire belong in Hall of Fame

Default Barry Bonds: Pete Rose and Mark McGwire belong in Hall of Fame

Bonds says Rose, McGwire belong in Hall of Fame

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Barry Bonds thinks Mark McGwire and Pete Rose belong in the Hall of Fame.

The Baseball Writers' Association of America elected Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn to the Hall last week, but denied McGwire. The former slugger ranks seventh on the career list with 583 home runs, but his legacy was tarnished when he stonewalled Congress two years ago amid accusations of steroid use.

"I congratulate Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn for their induction to the Hall of Fame because they were great ballplayers," Bonds said Wednesday in the Dominican Republic. "But I also think McGwire and Pete Rose should be in Cooperstown."

The 23.5 percent vote McGwire received represented the first referendum on how history will judge an age when bulked-up players came under suspicion of using performance-enhancing drugs. Baseball didn't ban steroids until after the 2002 season.

Hall of Fame voters might face a similar decision on Bonds, who is under investigation by a federal grand jury as to whether he perjured himself when he testified in 2003 in the BALCO steroid distribution case that he hadn't knowingly taken any performance-enhancing drugs.

Rose, meanwhile, was given a lifetime ban from baseball in 1989 for betting on the sport, something he denied for years. The career hits leader with 4,256, Rose has never appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot but received four write-in votes this year.

Arriving in the Dominican Republic for the Juan Marichal Golf Classic, Bonds told reporters he expects to become baseball's career home run leader this season.

"I'm sure I'm going to break the record this year," said the San Francisco left fielder, who needs 22 homers to surpass Hank Aaron's mark of 755. "But right now I'm just thinking about golf."

Bonds declined to discuss ongoing negotiations with the Giants over his contract, or his reported positive test for amphetamines last year.

Bonds hit .270 with 26 home runs and 77 RBIs for San Francisco last season.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2734799
    --------------------

Surprise, surprise. What an asshole, God I hate this guy so much. What a liar. I hope his knee blows out and he can never play again.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Of course he is going to say that - if they get in, it's his chance too. I don't think any of them should get in, they are all a huge disgrace to baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by IceQueen View Post
    Of course he is going to say that - if they get in, it's his chance too. I don't think any of them should get in, they are all a huge disgrace to baseball.
    I agree, with this bonds character there is always an ulterior motive. It's really all about him in the end.

He is truly a wretched and rotten human being even without the steroid use. He treated others with utter contempt.

Elite Member

Hate this guy.

Silver Member

Bonds is vile. It probably doesn't help that I am a sportswriter, but having to deal with him is a nightmare.I cringe when people cheer him, if they only knew the type of man he is. As a fan, they need to stick an asterick on his and McGwires home runs. I really hope he leaves the home run record alone.

^^I wouldn't have a problem with Bonds breaking Aaron's record, if he hadn't been juicing up on 'roids. But since he has, I'm hoping he doesn't. And I work in sports too, and I get tired of having to see if he gets another home run. And I don't think either him or McGwire belong in the Hall of Fame. Hell, I'd rather see Pete Rose, who I can't stand, in Cooperstown before Bonds or McGwire.

I'd still have a problem with him even if it weren't for the juicing. As I said before, he's a rotten excuse of a human being. That one article I read about him last year only confirmed what I felt about the guy. This is a guy that tossed his dirty underwear on the locker room floor just so he could tell the equipment guy to come and pick it up, and told a former teammate to basically f**k off when the teammate asked him to sign baseballs for his sick kid as he was holding some sort of charity drive.

What's sad is that some media outlets are, as usual, making this home run drive a racial issue and trying to be divisive by saying that more blacks are supportive of bonds than whites.

It says something about bonds when hank aaron himself refuses to be on hand when his record is broken

Silver Member

It speaks volumes when Hank Aaron would rather golf and when the commissioner has no plans on attending or baseball celebrating it. Yeah it is frustrating to see it turned into an issue of race. It's so far from that. This is about good old fashion cheating, regardless of what color he is. But, they love him in San Francisco. Damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    What's sad is that some media outlets are, as usual, making this home run drive a racial issue and trying to be divisive by saying that more blacks are supportive of bonds than whites.

It says something about bonds when hank aaron himself refuses to be on hand when his record is broken
    Well, the media loves to try and turn everything into a black/white issue, even when it doesn't warrant it. I'm black and I could care less about Bonds.

And you're right, the fact that Hank Aaron refuses to be there if/when Bonds breaks his record speaks volumes. That, in and of itself, should squash the race issue if one black man refuses to see another black man break his record. And that has nothing to do with race, but about steroids and tarnishing the game.

Thread Information