Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footballer David Beckham signing with LA Galaxy

Default Footballer David Beckham signing with LA Galaxy

LONDON - David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season to join the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer in a five-year deal.

The move was announced Thursday following the end of talks on extending the 31-year-old English midfielder’s contract with the Spanish club.

“This week, Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract by a further two seasons,” Beckham said in a statement.

“After discussing several options with my family and advisers to either stay here at Madrid or join other major British and European clubs, I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year.”

Beckham’s four-year contract with Madrid expires at the end of this season. He joined the team from Manchester United in 2003, where he had had won six league titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League title.

He hasn’t won a major trophy since joining Madrid.

“I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans,” Beckham said.

Beckham has been unhappy this season at Madrid under coach Fabio Capello. He has started only seven of 25 matches and was left off the squad for Thursday’s Copa del Rey match against Real Betis.

Beckham has a soccer academy in Los Angeles. His wife Victoria, a former Spice Girl, was recently photographed house-hunting in Los Angeles.

MLS recently changed its rules on salary caps, clearing the way for Beckham to sign a lucrative deal. British news reports put the L.A. deal at $250 million.

“I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world’s most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own,” Beckham said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16453485/
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Elite Member

Oh my God, they're coming to the U.S....

You know they must've offered Beckham some damn good money to leave Europe and relocate here.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Coming to America
    Beckham will play for MLS' L.A. Galaxy in $250M deal
    Posted: Thursday January 11, 2007 10:19AM; Updated: Thursday January 11, 2007 11:40AM

David Beckham is perhaps the most recognizable soccer player in the world.
    Simon Bruty/SI

LONDON (AP) -- David Beckham agreed to a five-year deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, leaving the Real Madrid club at which he enjoyed worldwide popularity but experienced disappointment on the field.

Beckham, the former English captain who also starred for Manchester United, will join the Galaxy after his contract with Real Madrid expires on June 30. Los Angeles opens its season April 8 in Houston.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own," he said in a statement released Thursday.

The move was announced following the end of talks on extending the 31-year-old English midfielder's contract with the Spanish club. MLS recently changed its rules on salary caps, clearing the way for Beckham to sign a lucrative deal. British news reports put the Galaxy deal at $250 million.

"This week, Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract by a further two seasons," Beckham said in the statement. "After discussing several options with my family and advisers to either stay here at Madrid or join other major British and European clubs, I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year."

Beckham has soccer academies in London and Los Angeles. His wife Victoria, a former Spice Girl, was recently photographed househunting in Los Angeles.

"David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally," said Timothy J. Leiweke, president & CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which owns the Galaxy. "David is truly the only individual that can build the bridge between soccer in America and the rest of the world."

Beckham joined Real Madrid in 2003 after a hugely successful run with Manchester United, where he won six league titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League title. But Beckham did not win a single major trophy with the Spanish club, and his spell coincided with Madrid's worst slump since the early 1950s.

Real Madrid has had six different coaches and three club presidents during Beckham's stay, but the club has made a fortune -- in part because of the star's position as a cultural icon for soccer fans and non-fans alike, including men, women and children of different ethnic and racial groups.

Beckham's Career Path
    Years Club Country
    1993-95 Manchester United England
    1995 Preston North End* England
    1995-03 Manchester United England
    2003-07 Real Madrid Spain
    2007-?? Los Angeles Galaxy U.S.

His marketability was emphasized by the hit movie "Bend It Like Beckham," even as his skills deteriorated with age.

Beckham's contract included a clause in which half his image rights would go to Real Madrid. That helped earn the club millions, allowing the Spanish team to overtake Manchester United as the biggest earner in world soccer.

Beckham led England to the quarterfinals of the World Cup last summer, scoring from a free kick in the second round to beat Ecuador 1-0. But he was taken off the field early in the second half against Portugal with ankle and Achilles tendon injuries, and then watched as his team was eliminated in a penalty shootout.

A day after the game, Beckham stepped down as captain of the team -- a post he had held for 58 of his 94 international appearances. Then, on Aug. 11, England coach Steve McClaren dropped Beckham from the team altogether, signaling the end of his international career.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes
    OMG THIS IS SO EXCITING! I cant wait to go to a game and see Posh fucking Spice in person!!! this is like big news in L.A. btw

Ooo he's gonna play football here - can't wait to see him in pads & a helmet.

And we get to see local pictures of skeletor walking around LA - Alice will be her new bff.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Gold Member

he's a soccer player so no pads&helmet

Silver Member

He's gonna bang every girl in L.A.

WATCH.

Quote Originally Posted by redcat View Post
    he's a soccer player so no pads&helmet
    Come on, now, I'm not THAT ignorant! It was a joke!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Oh my God, they're coming to the U.S....

You know they must've offered Beckham some damn good money to leave Europe and relocate here.
    MLS let go of the cap requirements so he could come over here.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by dlm1288 View Post

WATCH.
    As if he already hasn't!!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dlm1288 View Post

WATCH.
    IM FIRST! AND IM GETTING KNOCKED UP TOO!!!

Will you name your baby Los Angeles, since that's where you'll get knocked up?

Alice, that is so funny.....

I admit that I know zero about Soccer and truly don't have any desire to learn. But I may have to watch, just a little bit, of him......maybe.

This means we get the Beckhams. Yay. I look for them to be tabloid regulars. Vicky better clear her schedule to stand vigilant at games and practices because David will probably have to fend off more pussy than even he can handle.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

^She will be too busy hanging out with Katie and all her new Scitog friends to be at any games

This is not okay.

Plus, I think Posh is going to get one heck of a slap in the face when she realizes that Americans don't care as much about soccer or her as the Brits do.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information