Thread: Plea Deal In Maurice Clarett Case

Angry Plea Deal In Maurice Clarett Case

Plea Deal In Maurice Clarett Case
    Sep 18 2006 12:59PM

Reported by Penny Moore

Former Ohio State standout Maurice Clarett pleaded guilty to two felonies Monday as part of a deal that will end both criminal cases against him.

Clarett was facing twelve felonies that could have sent him to prison for decades. He had to make a deal, and he did, just as 150 potential jurors were due at the courthouse for his trial.

Maurice Clarett walked into the courtroom with a smile on his face, but his mother Michelle saw little to smile about. Her son is going to prison, leaving behind a 2-month-old baby girl.

Clarett's felonies began in January when he robbed two people behind the Opium Lounge on High Street. He only got a cell phone but he showed them a gun in his belt.

Assistant County Prosecutor Tim Mitchell recounted the crime by saying, "At one point during the interchange he said to both of them, 'Don't make me bust you up.'"

Then in August, Clarett was arrested after a high speed chase with four loaded weapons in his SUV.

The January robbery victim recognized the Smith and Wesson.

"We recovered a gun that's identified by Mr. Nyrako and Ms. Douglas as looking a heck of a lot like the weapon the guy had," says Mitchell.

Clarett had little to say.

"First Id like to apologize for my behavior and I accept the time that's given to me," he says.

It will be hard time. The deal was that Clarett would plead guilty to aggravated robbery with a gun from the January case and carrying a concealed weapon from August.

The combined sentence was 7 1/2 years, but after 3 1/2, he can apply for judicial release and the prosecutor will not object.

There's no negotiating those first 3 1/2, and now the fallen hero is on his way to prison.

And even after the 3 1/2 years, Clarett has to go to a community based correctional facility as part of his probation. It's a program to prepare an inmate for the outside world again; it's a lockdown facility for an additional four to six months.

http://www.ohionewsnow.com/?story=si...256503279.html

*Well at least he will be in there for 3.5 years minimum. What a huge loss and waste of talent. And what a disgrace for OSU football. Now we have to win the National Championship again this year since; even though he was a big part of the 2002 championship, he has now so terribly tainted it.*

^^No doubt Soj! He could have (possibly) been a successful NFL player, but now, will never get the chance. Such a shame. How many young boys/men would KILL for that??

KD
    Elite Member

MC is nothing short of a thug. Too bad, he had an enormeous wealth of talent, all down the toilet. And if NFL career (although he sued the NFL to let him enter the draft after his 1st (?) year of college and lost) and a new baby isn't enough to go "straight", I guess nothing is.

Quote Originally Posted by KD View Post
    MC is nothing short of a thug. Too bad, he had an enormeous wealth of talent, all down the toilet. And if NFL career (although he sued the NFL to let him enter the draft after his 1st (?) year of college and lost) and a new baby isn't enough to go "straight", I guess nothing is.

That was him?? I remember that story, but didn't realize it was him.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

KD
    Elite Member

Yup. Odd to sue such a huge organization that has rules in place for a reason, to let you join. Quite arrogant and dumb.

Thread Information