Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree356Likes

Thread: Serena Williams spoils Naomi Osaka's moment

Default Serena Williams spoils Naomi Osaka's moment

'I have never cheated in my life. I have a daughter and I stand for what's right for her': Serena Williams demands umpire apologizes in furious row after she was accused of CHEATING in dramatic U.S. Open women's final

• Serena Williams got into a shouting row with the umpire during the US Open's Women's final
    • The 23-time Grand Slam winner accused umpire Carlos Ramos of 'stealing a point from her' as he claimed she was getting coaching from the sidelines
    • Williams screamed at Ramos: 'I did not have coaching, I don't cheat... You stole a point from me'
    • Her coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, later admitted he was coaching on the sidelines however he insisted that his player had not seen him and also maintained that Osaka had also received coaching from the box
    • Osaka won 6-2, 6-4 - it was her first Grand Slam victory and it made her Japan's first Grand Slam champion

By MICHELLE CURRAN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and MIKE DICKSON FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 22:40, 8 September 2018 | UPDATED: 07:08, 9 September 2018
    Serena Williams got into a shouting match with the umpire in the US Open's Women's final as she accused him of 'stealing a point from her'.
    Umpire Carlos Ramos issued a game penalty to the US star during her match against Naomi Osaka as he accused her of getting coaching from the side lines.
    The 23-time Grand Slam winner screamed at Ramos: 'Every time I play here, I have problems. I did not have coaching, I don't cheat. You need to make an announcement. I have a daughter and I stand for what's right. You owe me an apology.
    'For you to attack my character is wrong. You owe me an apology. You will never be on a court with me as long as you live. You are the liar. You owe me an apology. Say it. Say you're sorry.
    'How dare you insinuate that I was cheating? You stole a point from me. You're a thief too. '
    Moments later Williams crashed out of the final with Osaka winning 6-2, 6-4.

+20

Serena Williams came to blows with the umpire in the US Women's final as she accused him of 'stealing a point from her'

+20

+20

'This is not right, this is not fair. This has happened to me too many times,' Williams screamed (left) at the umpire on court

+2

Williams with referee Brian Earley during her Women's Singles finals match against Osaka of Japan

The drama unfolded when Williams realized she had been given a point penalty after she broke her racket during the final at Flushing Meadows in New York City.
    'This is not right, this is not fair. This has happened to me too many times,' Williams screamed at Ramos.
    'Because I'm a woman you're going to take this away from me. This is not right. Ever single year that I play this is just not fair.'
    Williams then began crying as she says: 'I've worked so hard to be in this position.'
    Her coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, had been accused of giving hand signals illegally in the first set.
    Mouratoglou said after the game: 'Not once in my life have I ever been called a coaching violation'.
    As he was interviewed by ESPN he said he admitted that while he was coaching her it was no different from what any other coach does.

'I'm honest, I was coaching. I don't think (Serena) looked at me, so that's why she didn't think I was (coaching). But I was, like 100 percent of the coaches on 100 percent of the matches. So we have to stop this hypocrite thing.
    '(Osaka's coach) was coaching every point too.
    'Two rules are killing tennis. Not to allow a player to express their feelings is stupid. It's not a big deal to break a racquet.'
    He later tweeted: 'The star of the show has been once again the chair umpire.
    'Second time in this US Open and third time for Serena in a US Open Final. Should they be allowed have an influence on the result of a match? When do we decide that this should never happen again?'
    Mouratoglou followed that tweet up with: 'Congratulations for Naomi Osaka for a fantastic tournament.'
    After she repeatedly insulted the umpire, calling him a liar and a thief and demanding an apology he docked her a game, leaving her at 3-5, from which she could not recover.

+20

As the trophies were presented, fans in the stadium began booing. Osaka is hugged by Williams after she defeated the tennis star in the women's final of the US Open tennis tournament

+20

Osaka and Williams are seen hugging during the trophy ceremony after the women's final on the thirteenth day of the US Open Tennis Championships

+20

+2

As Osaka was handed the $3.8million prize check she thanked her mother for 'sacrificing a lot for her'. 'It was always my dream to play Serena in the US Open finals'

+2

Williams watches as Osaka holds the champions trophy in the women's final of the US Open tennis tournament

How Serena's furious confrontation with the US Open umpire unfolded

• Serena Williams was handed a code violation when her coach Patrick Mouratoglou appeared to make a gesture to her, in what the umpire said was off-court coaching.

• Serena told the umpire 'I don't cheat' before the game continued.

• A few games later Williams smashed a racket after losing a game to go 4-3 behind. This led to a second code violation and her opponent was given a point. Williams then went on a bizarre rant, in which she called umpire Carlos Ramos 'a thief': 'You are a liar. You will never be on a court of mine as long as you live. When are you going to give me my apology? Say you are sorry,’ she screamed.

• This resulted in another code violation and her opponent, Naomi Osaka, was awarded a game.

• Williams called for the tournament referee as she cried on court. No further action was taken and the referee left the court.

• Williams went on to lose the match 2-6, 4-6, and continued to stew on court during the prize ceremony to heckles from the crowd.

• An on-court interviewer had to order the crowd to stop booing until Williams regained her composure. She then also called for the jeering to stop and congratulated her opponent.

It detracted from a magnificent performance from the American-raised Japanese player, and made for an embarrassing trophy handover, at which Williams was described as Osaka's 'role model'.
    Ramos, a highly experienced official, had little alternative, given the abuse that was being thrown his way from Williams, who also angrily pointed her finger at him.
    As the trophies were presented boos rang out around the stadium – most seemingly in sympathy with her – as she brought gender into the argument, now remonstrating with tournament Referee Brian Earley, who she summoned to the court.
    'You'll never sit on a court with me as long as you live!' was another threat to the umpire.
    Amid an increasingly febrile atmosphere it appeared, for the first time, to get to Osaka and she was momentarily rocked on the back of the adrenaline rush provided for her opponent by the row who broke for 3-1 in the second.
    It was after two double faults which saw parity restored that Williams completely lost it, hurling her racket to the floor to be given, inevitably, a point penalty.

+2

Osaka celebrates a point on her way to her first Grand Slam victory at 20 years old

+2

Williams also received a violation after breaking her racket on the court after two double faults

+2

Osaka makes a return to Williams during the singles final match at Flushing Meadows

+2

Shortly after the match, Williams' coach, Mouratoglou tweeted: 'The star of the show has been once again the chair umpire'

+2

Mouratoglou followed that tweet up with: 'Congratulations for Naomi Osaka for a fantastic tournament'

Serena teared up as she said: 'I don't want to be rude but I just want to tell you guys that she played well and this is her first grand slam.
    'I know you guys were here rooting and lets make this the best moment we can. Lets not boo any more, lets be positive. Congratulations Naomi, no more booing.
    'Thank you to my team, you guys are amazing. Thank you to the crowd, you guys really are the best in the world.'
    Osaka was also in tears, and said: 'I know everyone was cheering for her and I'm sorry it had to end like this. I just want to say thank you for watching the match.'
    As Osaka was handed the $3.8million prize check she thanked her mother for 'sacrificing a lot for her'. 'It was always my dream to play Serena in the US Open finals.'
    Osaka's win made her the first Grand Slam champion from Japan.
    Several tennis stars and sports professionals agreed with Williams about the refereeing being some of the 'worst' they had ever seen.

+2

Several tennis stars and sports professionals agreed with Williams about the refereeing being some of the 'worst' they had ever seen

+20

+20

+20

Others called out Williams for her 'ridiculous' behavior

'Worst refereeing I've ever seen ...... the worst !!!' former tennis star Andy Roddick tweeted.
    This @usopen.... just... wow... all the way around. Congrats to Naomi but this chair umpire was on one. Players should be able to show emotion. Breaking a racket isn't a big deal. The rules need to evolve w/ the game of tennis,' ESPN host Jay Williams tweeted.
    Tennis star Victoria Azarenka also wrote on Twitter: 'This is bs.'
    Others called out Williams for her 'ridiculous' behavior.
    'Ridiculous behaviour here from Serena Williams, angrily pointing her finger and demanding an apology from umpire Carlos Ramos, who is merely doing his job,' Fraser tweeted.
    It was the second Grand Slam final defeat in a row for Williams, after Wimbledon in July, as she seeks an initial major title since returning to the tour after having a baby in 2017.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6146903/Im-not-cheater-Serena-Williams-argues-umpire-U-S-Open-womens-final.html
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

She acted awfully. This is why I've never liked her. Not the first time she's been like this.

Took me all the way back to McEnroe.

It sounds like the rules say that if the player's coach gestures from the stands, regardless of what the player sees or does, there is a penalty. That's on Mouratoglou. And he admitted to it. It is not a direct accusation of Williams cheating, which is why I don't understand her statement that the line judge was accusing HER of cheating. Her volcanic reaction was inexcusable, but it looks like she has a lot of defenders.
    DawnM74 likes this.

I feel so bad for Naomi Osaka, this is her big moment and it gets overshadowed by all this.

entitled ,manipulative,up to her eyeballs full of steroids..never liked her and she looks scary...

My son and I were talking about this yesterday (he was watching the match). It wasn't as if the referee unfairly gave an extra point to Naomi Osaka, it was based on 1. Mouratoglou coaching Serena, 2. Serena breaking her racquet and 3. Serena yelling at the referee (a sort of 3 strikes and you're out, if you will). Mouratoglou knows it's not allowed for coaches to coach their players from the sidelines, and even though he claimed "everyone" does it, that's no excuse. Also, Osaka was ahead and winning, so she was probably going to defeat Serena anyway. Unfortunately, her win is now a little bit tainted with the idea of "what if" the referee had not given her the extra point to penalize Serena...
    Waterslide and DawnM74 like this.

I have hit the little green ball with a racket before and I can name some tennis players and that's about all I know about tennis, so I'm confused. I get the Nomi Osaka issue, but I guess I didn't realize Serena could cheat at a game that a billion people are sitting around watching her play. And the coaching thing...like what constitutes coaching? I mean, it's tennis not football where you devise a strategy based on how the other team is playing.

Also:

'Because I'm a woman you're going to take this away from me.
    Whuuut? What does this mean? She's playing against a woman? This umpire is taking something away from her because he's sexist? What? And then Serena says she has a daughter. So?

I think moongirl pretty much answered my questions with her post, but I'm still baffled at Serena's tirade.
    Brookie and DawnM74 like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^ I think Serena's issue was that male players have acted in the same manner, ie John McEnroe, and not been penalized to the same extent and some might argue that they are even praised for their actions.
    Waterslide and Kittylady like this.

Serena is now being fined $17,000:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/serena-...al-2018-09-09/

Serena Williams fined $17,000 for code violations at U.S. Open

NEW YORK — Serena Williams was fined a total of $17,000 for three code violations during her loss to Naomi Osaka in the U.S. Open final. The tournament referee's office on Sunday docked Williams $10,000 for "verbal abuse" of chair umpire Carlos Ramos, $4,000 for being warned for coaching and $3,000 for breaking her racket.

The money comes out of Williams' $1.85 million in winnings as the runner-up to Osaka, whose 6-2, 6-4 victory on Saturday made her the first tennis player from Japan to win a Grand Slam singles title

In the second set's second game, Ramos warned Williams for getting coaching, which is against the rules in Grand Slam matches. She briefly disputed that ruling, saying cheating "is the one thing I've never done, ever" — although afterward, her coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, acknowledged he was trying to send Williams a signal.

A few games later, Williams received another warning, this time for smashing her racket, and that second violation automatically cost her a point, leading to more arguing. Eventually, Williams called Ramos "a thief," drawing the third violation for "verbal abuse" — and costing her a game, putting Osaka ahead 5-3.

"I have never cheated in my life!" Williams told Ramos. "You owe me an apology."

In a news conference following the match, Williams said, "You definitely can't go back in time, but I can't sit here and say I wouldn't call him a thief again because I thought he took a game from me."

Under Article III, Section P of the Grand Slam Rule Book, "verbal abuse" is defined as "a statement about an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive." The section says a player is subject to a fine up to $20,000 for each violation.
    There are separate categories for coaching ("Communications of any kind, audible or visible, between a player and a coach may be construed as coaching") and for abuse of rackets or equipment.
    rollo likes this.

A*O

Another entitled sports brat with roid rage.
    effie2, DawnM74, LaFolie and 1 others like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I love Serena and imho she IS the GOAT, but she just can't lose. I would really like to see her getting better with that, but it seems like it get's worse over time. Naomi Osaka won - and she deserved it, and not only because Serena couldn't get her temper under control. Everything else is just Serena trying to intellectualize her outbursts.

Although she is not wrong - men did and do get away with the behavior that got her fined.
    Brookie, sputnik and DawnM74 like this.

Is there a video clip of a male player doing this recently? This is not a new thing for Williams, either. In 2009, she threatened to ram a ball down a judge's throat.
    DawnM74 likes this.

Also you can definitely coach a tennis match, much the same as a football game. Coaches can probably quickly (or quicker than the player) notice key shots or sequences or habits or preferences of the opponent and point them out to the player to take advantage of. The very best tend to do this naturally but even they miss stuff sometimes.
    czb likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I felt so bad for Naomi. All of this drama took away from her moment, and she was so humble and respectful to Serena. It was terrible to watch, and it pisses me off that people were congratulating Serena on putting it all aside to "let" Naomi shine. How fucking big of her.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    entitled ,manipulative,up to her eyeballs full of steroids..never liked her and she looks scary...
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Another entitled sports brat with roid rage.

Easy there. Serena is the single most tested athlete on the planet, bar none.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information